Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

ECU ECM Transponder Key Vs Smart Key Programming with USED ECUs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-17, 11:24 AM
jehmin
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default ECU ECM Transponder Key Vs Smart Key Programming with USED ECUs?

Hello I would like to learn more about the ECU/ECM and the Keys that run them.
There is some Great tutorials by a user names speedkar99 and other users on programming keys but one thing i have yet to see is Used Smart Keys and how we can program them to used ECU Boxes.
To my knowledge a vehicle equiped with a smartkey vs a transponder key has immobilizer and smart key box in addition to the ECU. How do these items cooperate to work with these keys?

1.) If one were to program a used ECU to work with Used Keys how would these procedures differ from the tutorials about the transponder keys? Transponder ECU people just reprogrammed or replaced the Eeprom chips.
2.) How can one renew refresh or virginize? a Used smart key? Such as if a key was already programed to another vehicle what would be needed to make it seem like a new key to not require a total ECU reset requiring all keys to be reprogrammed? which also uses a special code. Iv seen a lot of boxes for sale on the net but unsure of its capabilities. Iv also seen this box called a MKII which is about $2000. If one were to make a liviing from this great sure but as a hobbyist not so much.

If anyone knows of any related literature please lmk as id like to read it anyways.
The following users liked this post:
Rriley77 (07-23-23)
Old 05-27-17, 06:27 PM
2HotTeeZ
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New key

I got a new key for my is300
nobody seems to be able to program it??
Originally Posted by jehmin
Hello I would like to learn more about the ECU/ECM and the Keys that run them.
Originally Posted by jehmin
There is some Great tutorials by a user names speedkar99 and other users on programming keys but one thing i have yet to see is Used Smart Keys and how we can program them to used ECU Boxes.
To my knowledge a vehicle equiped with a smartkey vs a transponder key has immobilizer and smart key box in addition to the ECU. How do these items cooperate to work with these keys?

1.) If one were to program a used ECU to work with Used Keys how would these procedures differ from the tutorials about the transponder keys? Transponder ECU people just reprogrammed or replaced the Eeprom chips.
2.) How can one renew refresh or virginize? a Used smart key? Such as if a key was already programed to another vehicle what would be needed to make it seem like a new key to not require a total ECU reset requiring all keys to be reprogrammed? which also uses a special code. Iv seen a lot of boxes for sale on the net but unsure of its capabilities. Iv also seen this box called a MKII which is about $2000. If one were to make a liviing from this great sure but as a hobbyist not so much.

If anyone knows of any related literature please lmk as id like to read it anyways.
Old 02-16-20, 01:06 AM
Lead Lap

Received 783 Likes on 532 Posts

Insurance covers lost keys including putting in new ECU. Just take it to a Lexus dealer.
Old 09-22-20, 06:46 AM
glassmaker
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
Insurance covers lost keys including putting in new ECU. Just take it to a Lexus dealer.
Whose insurance, yours or mine?
The following users liked this post:
Rriley77 (07-23-23)
Old 07-23-23, 05:56 AM
Rriley77
6th Gear

Default Smart Key help? ECU swap Immo

I have an 07 is250 with the smart key ignition and cannot find squat that is concrete, step-by-step, THE WAY on this issue. I did an ECU swap when half a year of narrowing down codes and a microscopic misfire that my ecu was bad. The one purchased online was "pre flashed pre programmed" but I knew about the immobilizer, just didn't fully KNOW. The company sent instructions and a reset tool to plug in the OBD, but this did not work on getting the keys to program *side note, the instructions to pair the mey were for turn key ignition -red flag... and did not work, clearly* I bought the c413a bios programmer and adapter and attempted to mod it up like George Melnik explains on youtube thanks to Ben Tuner with kids video giving a glance of it and referring to Melniks video. However, I don't think I did it right. HELP! I am a single mom, I'm broker than the 10 commandments, and I am using my parents' "extra" car, and its been so frustrating and months and months. PLEASE TELL ME WHAT TO DO FOR MY CAR! YOUR POST IS FANTASTIC!!! What's the fastest easiest way to do it? I have the parts, gumption, ingenuity, and enough mechanical ability and imtermediate automotive knowledge. I just need someone who knows exactly what to do for my non-"turn the key in the ignition" start system. I'd prefer not to rip apart my car, but I will if I have to. I am just busy and every time I try to really focus without screwing it up, I have a 12 year old asking me any barrage of asinine random ***** such as, "mom, how long does it take for pickles to be expired"... yes, that's a quote; grammar and all, unfortunately. so ... this is the BEST POST I'VE SEEN!!! please help! Could you PLEASE tell me what I can do to program my keys to my 07 is250 push button key start ? 🙏
ecu is supposedly programmed/flashed but my keys will not program to the car and I'm just not versed enough in this language, nor do I truly understand the why and how so piecing together tidbits and theories from multiple sources is irresponsible, I realize, and I can't afford to toast my car. THANK YOU SO MUCH IN ADVANCE A MILLION TIMES. Your remedy through response would truly be a blessing, and means to an end of almost a year of educating myself as best I could while realizing my bounds. Looking forward to the solution!

Last edited by Rriley77; 07-23-23 at 06:19 AM. Reason: Wrong name on source referral
Old 07-23-23, 06:00 AM
Rriley77
6th Gear

[QUOTE=glassmaker;10898159]Whose insurance, yours or mine

I felt that in my soul. Lol. This is the most frustrating awful issue with a simple, but technical solution. In lieu of a solution, responses like this to comments like that are wonderfully refreshing.
I have an ex inlaw who is a manager at local Lexus dealer. Had my car towed there. Guess what?... they couldn't "figure it out", but they did offer me 500$ for the car and I cried when I hung up feeling hopeless, but if your insurance'll cover it ... that sounds like a great idea!

Last edited by Rriley77; 07-23-23 at 06:05 AM. Reason: Needed more
Old 07-23-23, 09:13 AM
jehmin
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello I will give you a run down to help your issue.

Do you have a key that is originally for this vehicle or was it an all keys lost situation?
If you lost one of the master keys its a different process to program one of these keys.
I think 1 original master is still required to program a new or virginized smart fob.
Techsteam can be used to program this type of virgin key if you have a master key.
If no master key then you have to take it to lock smith or dealer to program you a new key.

Replacing the ECU Notes:
The information for the key isnt stored on the ecu itself. I think its on the immobilizer.
To install a used ecu assuming its the correct one for the car. Is easy. You have to take a paper clip to specific pins on the ODBII plug in the new ecu and wait for an hour.
There is a youtube video on this. You dont have to program the key info for this procedure. The key data is stored on another computer. Then it should be working again.
Assuming the key was programed to that car originally and check the key battery too.
Old 11-07-23, 12:12 AM
Rriley77
6th Gear

I had 2 keys that came with the car when I bought it, I am not sure if they were original, however, they worked before all this.
I have the push button start.
even when pinning the 2 ports and specifically following directions, they keys will not program and the security light is flashing. Crank no start
I do have techstream, forgot which version and the jvci cable. I also have a programmer, I am trying to figure out if BECAUSE it is the smartkey, do I have to get to the chip in the immobilizer itself. I have not yet undertaken the task of getting in the dash yet, and was hoping not to have to. . I was hoping you could help. Sorry it took so long to respond. I had been having computer issues and everything else apparently lol. Thank you so much in advance, as well.
okay, so in the ECU I see a 93c46 chip in the ic 601 spot.
Just would like clarification on which chip the ECU or Immobilizer itself, or if there is something I should be doing or am doing wrong. Help! THANKS