Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

98-05 GS300 Aftermarket Radio Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-20, 11:20 PM
Typ2nuk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is an old thread.....but, Where did you get the BROWN and BLACK connector?
Old 04-05-21, 04:22 AM
Robbacura
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can u send me video

Originally Posted by cblowkey
hey guys i have a 2001 gs300 and i bought it about 5 months ago. i would have kept the stock radio but the cassette player didnt work so i couldnt use the aux cassette tape so i just decided to replace the radio. the aftermarket radio i bought is made by sony. it took me a while to try to find a wiring harness and i found that one doesnt exist so i had to rewire the radio myself. i will add steps and pics to help you guys out on DIY because i saved $120 by doing it myself. i also did not change out my speakers because i dont want to cause any attention to my car (in the area i live in lexus drivers are always getting harrassed by police) plus my speakers work perfectly fine to me. also i am not sure if this works for double-din units because i havent tried but im pretty sure it would be the same.

things you will need: 10mm bolt remover, screw driver, cloth (to protect your wood grain from scratches), about 30 - 50 ft of speaker wire (choose a color for positive and only use that color for positive and do the same for negative), wire cutter, electrical tape or soldering iron and solder, scissors and ofcourse an aftermarket single-din radio bezel.

step 1: place your car in nuetral but do not have engine running
step 2: remove negative side of battery (under the hood)
step 3: remove ashtray and unconnect the connector in the back.
step 4: remove air vents from the top of the radio and unconnect them.
step 5: unscrew 4 10mm bolts from radio 2 at the top and 2 on the bottom (my car had 2 plastic clips at the bottom next to the 2 10mm bolts you will need to remove them aswell)
step 6: place a cloth over your gear shifter and slowly remove the radio because it will come out fast then unconnect the connectors.
step 7: unscrew the screws on both sides of the radio to seperate the climate controls from the radio
step 8: put the aftermarket radio bezel together with the climate control unit and use aftermarket side holdings to screw them back together.
step 9: your after market radio should have came with a wiring harness and color scheme. write down and label the wires according to these specific wires only 1. battery wire 2. accessory wire 3. ground wire 4. left front speaker (+) 5. left front speaker (-) 6. right front speaker (+) 7. right front speaker (-) 8. left rear speaker (+) 9. left rear speaker (-) 10. right rear speaker (+) 11. right rear speaker (-)
• lexus wiring colors
blue yellow - battery
gray - accessory
​​​​​​ pink - left front (+)
purple - left front (-)
light green - right front (+)
blue - right front (-)
black - left rear (+)
yellow - left rear (-)
red - right rear (+)
white - right rear (-)
step 10: 1 of the the 2 white connectors you unplugged from the back of the stock radio will be the connector where you will cut the wires. 1 connecter has only the battery and accessory wires snip the 2 wires about an inch away from the connector (in case you want to reinstall the stock radio later on) connect the 2 wires to your aftermarket radio wiring harness battery and accessory wires by using electrical tape or you can use a soldering iron and solder them.
step 11: you will then need to attatch the speaker wire you purchased to your aftermarket radio wiring harness according to 1 color for positive and the other color for negative speaker wires using electrical tape or a solder.
step 12: remove your glove box
step 13: connect your ground wire from the aftermarket radio wiring harness to a nut behind your glovebox. (i used the nut next to the the stock CD changer)
step 14: your amplifier will be to the right behind your glove box and the only 2 connectors you will need to cut are the 2 connectors located underneath the orange connector. use the same color scheme to cut the speaker wires according to the ones you needed to cut to attach the speaker wires to the aftermarket radio wiring harness. DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT cut the battery and accessory wires you only need to cut the speaker wires. DO NOT attach the speaker wires you bought to the connector you will not have sound attach the to the other end and leave the connectors out of the amplifier.
step 15: before you put everything back together reconnect your car battery and turn the key you should have power and sound to your new radio. if you have power with no sound you connected the speaker wires under the glove box to the wrong end of the connector that you cut. (i know because i made this mistake) after everything is finished you can remount your glove box, new radio with bezel, air vents, and ashtray.

if you have any questions feel free to private message me and ill provide you with my personal email to which i will send you a video on how to do this whole process.
can u send me video please robbacura13@gmail.com