Sponsored by:

Hybrid Tint??? Help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-03, 11:23 AM
98NavGS400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hybrid Tint??? Help!

I am looking to get my GS400 tinted. I went to the local shop and asked about their tint. They said they have a high performance "hybrid" tint. It has a layer of dyed material with a low metallic level. I have both Navigaion and Vlads kit with TV antennas. From reading the board everyone says stay away from metallic tint. The tint guy said they all have some level of metal until you get into very expensive custom ordered stuff.

Should I go ahead with this stuff or stay away??? I don't want to loose my Nav. functions.

Any help/advice is appreciated.
Old 06-05-03, 11:43 AM
1loudlex
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Thumbs down

I would stay away from it, but the only good thing with that tint is that it seems to not fade as much. I have metalic tint on my lexo and after putting it on my sunroof and my front doors i noticed that it drastically reduced my ability to arm and disarm my alarm. Just my thought.

Adam " Lexist "
Old 06-05-03, 04:22 PM
98NavGS400
Driver School Candidate

Thanks. Not sure if you have a "typical" metallic tint with reflective properties or something similar to this which only has a little bit of metallic properties in one of the layers...

Any ideas on what to look for. Is there a fully non-metallic tint available?
Old 06-05-03, 04:43 PM
audiogil
Rookie

Default tint

i have 10 years of experience with car audio and i can tell you that metallic tint WILL mess with your stuff so im advising you not to get it. let us know what you decided ok?
Old 06-06-03, 12:10 AM
asnatlas
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default @#)(*$&#@$

Well Hell.... I have metallic tint (37%) all the way around.... I don't have anything in my car, and I was looking at getting a 2 way remote alarm some time soon.... If I don't have a Nav system or any antennas in my car so should I be fine ? also if I go get a 2 way remote alarm how that the tint effect that ??? what if I place the antenna for the alarm on the front windshield ???

Thanx for your help
Shawn
Old 06-06-03, 01:43 AM
audiogil
Rookie

Cool tint

ok. as long as the windshield is untouched, then you shold be fine.just make sure that whatever antennas you have installed, are closer to the windshield.
Old 06-06-03, 09:37 AM
98NavGS400
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: tint

Originally posted by audiogil
i have 10 years of experience with car audio and i can tell you that metallic tint WILL mess with your stuff so im advising you not to get it. let us know what you decided ok?
I'm no dummy. Your 10 years of tint experience trumps my experience by about...10 years. I am definately going to take your advice and stay away from any of them with a metaalic compound

Is there a type/brand/etc of tint I should look for or request. I will probably have to find a different shop since this one seems to be stuck on this "hybrid" tint.

Most importantly, I can't thank you enough for chiming in. You guys have certainly saved me both money and headaches yet again...
Old 06-06-03, 12:15 PM
audiogil
Rookie

Default tint

any other tint will do.its not a big deal.
Old 06-06-03, 05:04 PM
audiogil
Rookie

Default tint

hey 98 nav gs 400. definitely stay away from metallic tint. the metal particles cause interference to anything that is remotely and specially satellite controlled. think of it like this.......put a metal plate on top of a navigation antenna and see if you got reception. you wont get a thing.