Sponsored by:

SC300 stereo install

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-03, 06:22 PM
asnatlas
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default JL Audio vs Infinity

I am looking for 2 sets of 5.25 components for my SC300 and I am looking at the JL Audio XR525-CSi for 185 a set or Infinity INI 5000CS for 189 a set. The JL are the XL series that is the best series on the JL line, the Infinities are the reference series not the kappa. So if I was going to get 2 sets of one brand, which would be the best over all ones??? I have a JL 10ib4 (air free) sub now, just need 2 sets of good components.

Thanx for everyone’s time
Shawn
Old 06-06-03, 09:29 PM
audiogil
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mids

hello shawn. there really is no better or worse ones. what i recommend is that you go to a car audio shop that has these speakers on display and listen to them. only you can determine what sounds better to you.different brands is not about which one is better. it is about which one sounds good to "you".once you pick out a pair, then you have to plan out how you are going to install them. remember.....the better the install, the better the sound
Old 06-11-03, 12:06 PM
asnatlas
Lexus Test Driver

Default A few more questions....

Ok I am looking at getting the JL Audio XR525-CSi x2 (60w RMS), I am going to have a set and the front and back of my SC300...

Question 1 : If alot of people don't use the back seat would I need a set of components in the back, would I be able to tell a diff from the front if I has components in the back vs just 5.25's.

Question 2 : I am looking to keep the factory head unit and I know I need some line converters, the question is do I need to keep the two factory amps hooked up or can I take them out. Or do I need to keep then and convert the lines after they come out of the factory amps to get them into my Alpine amps.

Question 3 : I am looking at getting 1 or 2 Alpine amps, I am look at getting one 5 ch (MRV-F450 50w x4 + 200x x1 @ 4ohms) or 2 amps, one MRD-M300 or 500 and a MRV-F340 (55w x4 @ 4ohms), Now the thing is all the watts are at 4 ohms and I have a 8 ohms JL 10ib4, and I know when you to from 4 to 8 ohms you cut the power in half. So I am looking at getting the most for my money and trying to stay as low as possible....

Question 3 : When you are doing ohms on a Sub if you have a 200w @ 4ohms and then go to a 8ohms it drops to 100w, right ?? Well when you are talking about speakers and you have a 65w @ 2ohms then you go to 4ohms you only drop like 10 watts, is this correct ?? If so then if run its at 8ohms that means you would be pushing 45watts ??

Question 4 : Would I need a cap ?? I know how they work and what they do, but with the bigger batteries in the Lexi, would I need a cap since I am not pushing to much power, Also it would prob depend on if I am running 1 or 2 amps right ??

Question 5 : I have a 4awg amp kit would it be able to be hooked up to a amp that says it needs a 8awg ??? I know if I run 2 amps I would need a 4awg kit and then use a distribution block to split it off... Just I am just asking if I can use a 4awg on a suggested 8awg amp ??

I am sorry for all the questions I know a small amount about car-audio and I just want to make sure I am getting everything I need and that I don't mess up, and that I get the best sound for my money. I have asked around at local shops but they either don't know what they are talking about or they try to sell me the most exp crap.....

Thank you all for your help and time
Shawn

P.S. If you had the listing below what would you do??

JL Components
JL Sub

Would you get one 5 ch amp or 2 amps (4ch & Mono) 1 or 2 amps
Would you do a cap ?? Yes or No
Old 06-11-03, 12:18 PM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Default caps don't hurt...i know

i am having probs with my system, and i am waiting on a 15 fared cap to come in, and i am doing another battery in my trunk. You can't go wrong having extra power. Might as well go with componets in the rear as well...if not components go with a 4 inch or something aftermarket. good luck with your system. bryan
Old 06-11-03, 12:32 PM
asnatlas
Lexus Test Driver

Default Thanx fireballs gs400..

fireballs gs400 you mean a 1.5 farad not a 15 right LOL ??? If you are needing a 1.5 your system must be over 1k watts because I know a 1 farad cap is good up to 1k watts or are you just getting bigger just incase ??? With the SC's we don't have alot of room to work with because of the damn gas tank.... But I wanted to keep as much of my trunk as possible. If I did get a cap, I would not need another battery would I, since I am only pushing 100 watts 8 ohms 10" sub and 2 sets of components....

Thanx for the info fireballs gs400....
Shawn

Last edited by asnatlas; 06-11-03 at 12:34 PM.
Old 06-11-03, 02:01 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

1 farad is good up to 500 watts. don't believe any differently.

http://www.ohmslaw.com/
Old 06-13-03, 07:54 PM
asnatlas
Lexus Test Driver

Post Another question....

LOL, you all are prob going to kill me... But I had another question.... This one is about a 5 ch amp (Alpine MRV-F450) this amps specs are as follows :
• Max Power (EIAJ) 90Wx4 (4ohm; Stereo) 370Wx1 (4ohm
• 12V RMS Continuous Power 4ohm; Stereo (0.08% THD) 30Wx4 + 4ohm; 150Wx1 Stereo (0.3% THD) 2ohm; Stereo 40Wx4 + 4ohm; 150Wx1
•14.4V RMS Continuous Power 4ohm; Stereo (0.08% THD) 50Wx4 + 4ohm; 200Wx1 Stereo (0.3% THD) 2ohm; Stereo 60Wx4 + 4ohm; 200Wx1
• Bass Engine®
• S/N Ratio 100dBA
• Frequency Response: 10-50kHz
• 12dB HP/LP Crossover
(30-400Hz)
• Subsonic Filter
• Extra Large Gold Plated Terminals with Wire Insert Capability
• Top Panel Power LED
• 4 Volt Input Capability
• Continuously Adjustable Crossovers
• DC Straight, STAR Topology
• DC-DC/PWM MOSFET Power Supply

I am looking to use a 5 ch amp if I can, If not I will need to get 2 then, But with this amp I am looking at running JL Audio XR525-CSi / 5.25" Component Set x2 and a JL 10ib4 air free sub, not the thing I am asking about is the sub is 100watts at 8 ohms and the speakers are 50watts at 4 ohms, now will I have a problem running 4 channels at 4 ohms and running the 5th ch at 8 ohms, because I know if you go from 4 to 8 ohms to drop the watts in half, and I don’t think the components running at like 25 watts would sound any good. Please let me know....

Thanx again all
Shawn
Old 06-13-03, 08:15 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

some amps "choke" on 8 ohms. increasing the resistance creates a weird effect. the amp get's real nice and smooth. 8 ohm sound is twice as smooth and less choppy than 4 ohm sound. the downfall is that a>) you lose lot's of power and b>) some amps react badly to having that much resistance on the outputs, but if i had to guess, i'd say the alpine would handle it well.
Old 06-13-03, 08:42 PM
asnatlas
Lexus Test Driver

Default Sooo..

So onelasttry... Alpine is a good amp ?? What is anything is better then the Alpine that is at about the same price range ?? Also I will be able to run four ch’s at 4ohms and run the 5th ch at 8ohms with no problems... Because when I asked around here locally they didn't sound sure of it, but was telling me it could be done. And like I said I just want to make sure I am getting the right stuff the first time

Thanx again onelasttry for all your help
Shawn

P.S. Again sorry for being a pain in the ....... I will let you fill in your own words
Old 06-13-03, 09:52 PM
audiogil
Rookie

Default 5 ch amp

i agree with onelasttry. that alpine amp will perform well if insatalled correctly. the 8 ohm speaker will do just fine so go for it. how much are you paying for the amp?
Old 06-13-03, 10:03 PM
asnatlas
Lexus Test Driver

Default Thanx

The amp I am looking at 305.00, and the Sub I already have, and I still need to pick up the components (188.00 x2). I just wanted to make sure that this setup would work together well before I got everything. Thanx all for your help and time, I will let you know more when I get in installed. I am looking at doing alot of it my self, running wires and installing the speakers, and once I am done with that I will be looking into trunk options for mounting the Cap I am getting along with the Amp. So I will prob need to take that to a pro shop to have them do a custom job in the trunk, unless anyone has some ideas for me, I am looking at mounting it vertically but I will have to add something behind the liner to mount the Cap and Amp to or something like that, I want to keep as much trunk space as possible but yet have a good looking setup as well and a good sounding setup...

Shawn
Old 06-14-03, 11:24 PM
asnatlas
Lexus Test Driver

Post INFINITY KAPPA 50.5cs 5.25 Component System

I ended up getting the INFINITY KAPPA 50.5cs 5.25 Components, I was just about to order the JL XR series when I looked at the Infinites again and just thought they would be better for what I am looking for. But I have them on the way and the Alpine 5 Ch amp also looking into a Cap. I can't wait until I get this all done... Thanx again for everyone’s help, and any suggestions or tips please let me know

Shawn
Old 06-17-03, 08:31 AM
asnatlas
Lexus Test Driver

Default Amp under the seat ???

I was thinking about putting the amp and cap under the rear seat(s) ??? Would this hurt it in anyway, as far as a heat issue or anything else that would come to mind ??? I was planning on hooking up some PC fans to the amp so that they would come on when the amp came on.......

Please let me know, thanx
Shawn
Old 06-17-03, 09:18 AM
RX300-BV
Lead Lap

Components are usually best placed in the front and only the front. Placing components in your rear doors in general will throw off your sound stage. Instead of hearing the sound stage in front of you, your rear components will pull the stage back and can really distort the highs. Most experts will probably recommend components for the front to give you great midrange and highs, and coax in the rear for rear fill. The rears should basically just add ambience and depth to your front sound stage.

As for the amps, Alpine makes great amps. As for driving 5 speakers, my preference is for 2 amps. One driving the door speakers, and the other to drive the woofer.

One last recommendation, be sure to go with some high quality wiring. With a nice amp and good speakers, spend the extra for good speaker cables.
Old 06-19-03, 12:11 AM
asnatlas
Lexus Test Driver

Default Question on a CAP ???

I got a 1.5 farad cap... Now since I am only pushing like 400 to 500 watts if that is 1.5 too big ??? I just thought I would get a little bigger just in case I upgraded or so that I was not getting by with just enough, and since onelasttry stated 1 farad is good up to 500 watts then I wanted to get the next step up... Now when I get the cap does it need a initial charge or do I just hook it all up (the cap between the battery and the amp) and I am set ??? I over hear someone here at work and they were talking about something on a cap needing a initial charge or something, and I just wanted to double check, also like above I just wanted to make sure a 1.5 farad would be fine for the Alpine 5 ch amp....

Also can anyone tell me about the amp under the seat ??? Would it hurt anything or can you give me some tip on what I can do in my trunk to mount it vertically and to keep as much space in the trunk as possible...

Thanx again
Shawn

Quick Reply: SC300 stereo install