Sponsored by:

Rattling

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-03, 08:27 PM
hemogoblin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattling

How many people have serious trunk problems? In anticipation for my new system to be complete on saturday, I noticed another SC driving by with a nice system, however I heard just as much of the trunk rattling as I heard bass. Has anyone used dynamat/brand x in their trunk? Is it easy to install? It sounded like only his trunk lid was bouncing around, and I remmeber people getting just their lid dynamatted. Anyway, I really dont want to spend any more money having someone work on my car, is this install going to be easy? Any tips ?
Old 06-06-03, 12:17 AM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Many have done it but I advise you to get your system in first and see how bad the rattles are (if such exist). Then you can use something like RAAMmat to deaden since it is a way cheaper alternative then Dynomat. Just wait and see.
Old 06-06-03, 12:22 AM
LexLS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So what do you have right now in your trunk? I think it really depends on how many subs you have in there.

You can reduce rattling by sound deadoning your trunk, or "dynamatting" it as some say, although there are many other products out there. The SC has a spoiler right? Well, I don't know if it does or not, but either way if it does have a spoiler you will probably have to apply some foam to stop rattles in there.

My bottom line is this....do NOT let a Lexus be a ghetto blaster!!!!
Old 06-07-03, 06:10 PM
Kohinoor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i would have to say that most would agree that lexus is a sound-deadened car already (most panels already have some sort of sound deadening material on them), but from what i hear (pun intended), and from personal experience, i can safely say that you should at the very least sound deaden the trunk top, if that doesnt satisfy you, sound deaden the whole car! ive done 2 layers of dynamat in the trunk and some of the interior so far, im a lot happier with it that without. also very easy to apply, but if youre going to do the whole trunk, i advise getting a carpet roller or some other heavy duty rubber roller, as dynamats quality in its roller isnt quite up to par as its sound deadening material. (wow..im rambling on and on..) but anyway, let us decide what you intend to do.
Old 06-07-03, 10:30 PM
hemogoblin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah i got my system in finally. Well the rattling isnt AS bad as I thought it would be, but its there. Its only coming from the top of the trunk lid.l Besides the ratting, it sounds great. Ill post pics tommorow.
Old 06-09-03, 10:15 AM
Kohinoor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i meant: let us know what you intend to do
Old 06-10-03, 02:40 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Glad to hear your happy so far and on the right track.

I just ordered another roll of Raammat to help with mine; can't beat Rick's service and the product and price are top-notch as well. www.raamaudio.com

One thing that might help a little on the trunk lid is to find the little rubber stoppers on each side of the underside of the lid and unscrew them a little. This can sometimes help with minor rattles. Unfortunately, most of us are probably beyond simple fixes like this. The sides of my back bumper (plastic on my ES), my trunk lid, and the rear doors on a few frequencies are the only things rattling; but I've already got one roll of Raammat in the car.