Sponsored by:

Nakamichi Watts

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-03, 11:10 PM
CClexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Nakamichi Watts

Hey! anyone know how many watts does the Nakamichi in a 92 LS400 have? can i just take out da speakers and put some better speakers in... cuz the speaker at the very back can't handle strong bass.
Old 06-06-03, 09:22 PM
audiogil
Rookie

Default nak watts

you dont need to worry about the watts. just replace your speakers with a good brand. not a complicated situation considering the fact that i have done this several times. good luck!
Old 06-06-03, 10:49 PM
CClexus
Driver School Candidate

Talking

aight thanx ^_^
Old 06-08-03, 04:25 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

Hi CC.

your factory system does 25 x 4 rms and 50 x 1 rms.

they are rated as 50 x 4 max and 100 x 1 max on the amp itself.

You seem to be saying your getting distortion under heavy bass and that is going to remain true until you put a stronger amp in and a better sub. Since you like strong bass, you might want to consider a box rather that a free air application. free air does especially good on low notes, but doesn't do well under power compared to a box due to the lack of cone control in free air applications.

If you are looking to keep the trunk free, find a good free air sub and add an amp appropriate for the sub you choose. 300 rms watts is a good measure for a single 10 incher in free air. trying to power an aftermarket free air sub with 50 watts isn't going to do much for you simply because the aftermarket sub you put in will not be as efficient as the stock sub. The less efficient the sub is, the more watts you'll need to keep the sub in control and reduce the distortion.

Good luck!
Old 06-08-03, 07:46 PM
CClexus
Driver School Candidate

I've talking to a sales person at A&B sound and he said that i have to get a new amp , new speakers and i have to rewire the whole vehicle and that would cost 200 just rewiring and installing the new amps and speakers.... can't i just get a new amp stick it into the old amps spot and stick new speakers into the old speakers places?
Old 06-08-03, 08:00 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

yes and no.

YES you could do it and use an rca to low level convertor then tap into the stock signal path coming from the radio. then feed the new wire 3 ft over to the new sub.

NO because most shops are not going to miss out on an amp bypass and all that labor $$ just to drop a convertor in for you. Cash is king. 200 bucks is entirely too much for an amp bypass anyway. the Lexus name is intimidating, but not at all hard to do.

Your factory radio pushes Xmv as a signal path to the amp. the convertor would pick up on that with no problem. After a quick amp install with a wire kit and the convertor, you'd be good to drop the new patch to the new sub and be on your way. BUT, if you think they are gonna take the easy way out and let you go without the $$$$$$ labor... hehe....not a chance. Find a different shop man, 200 is insane for a $50.00 amp bypass.
Old 06-08-03, 08:14 PM
CClexus
Driver School Candidate

aight thanx.... i understood half of what u said but i'm getting the whole point ^_^ man i have a lot of reading to do. It sucks when i'm stupid.
Old 06-08-03, 08:36 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

go here and you'll know more than you ever wanted to

http://the12volt.com/
Old 06-08-03, 09:49 PM
CClexus
Driver School Candidate

wow thanx... looks like i have A LOT of reading now... and i have to crack open my dictionary too and wow the physics i'm learning now is actually important