Sponsored by:

System Install. Pics

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-03, 01:26 PM
hemogoblin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default System Install. Pics

Here it is folks, after months of driving around with the stock tape player, radio has forced me to jump into this. Parts installed :

Alpine 7894 Headunit
Jl Audio 13w7
Kove Audio 5 1/4" components
Viper 2500
Zapco 350
SVR battery in the trunk
Directed Digital distribution block

The silk tweeters with the Kove's arent as agressive as I would like them to be, I may have to change that. But overall it sounds great. However, I really need to do some dynamatting.
Old 06-08-03, 03:25 PM
audiogil
Rookie

Default jl sub

Is that the jl logo i see on the floor?did it fall off the sub or did you put it down there?
Old 06-08-03, 03:28 PM
hemogoblin
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah it fell off, the darn thing wont stay on. I need to find some superglue or something
Old 06-08-03, 04:38 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

Hey there hemo. here's my take on it.

World class equiptment with an ok install. I think you chose some good brands and it probably sounds quite well. I'd take two more pieces of mdf and carpet them, then install them on both sides of the subwoofer to create a flush mounted look on the box and eliminate the overhang on each side of the sub.
you should also be able to pull back the carpet on the viper amp and shave that corner that overhangs then re-wrap the carpet in place. you wont even need to remove it to do it, just a big vacumme

I suspect you'll like what you have chosen. The equiptment is definately upper brand and should sound great in there. remember that with leather, the sub can't breathe through it any better than you can... so make certain your stock sub location is open and free from obstruction. that's the only route for sound to get in from the trunk.

I think ya did a fine job overall and i give it a :

Old 06-08-03, 08:37 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Great equipment and it looks pretty good, but why did you lose so much damn trunk space? Theres no reason that you couldnt fit that stuff on the rear shelf area in the trunk, unless Im way off base. I know you can do that sub in a pretty small sealed enclosure,and the amps should have no probelms fitting in there somewhere. Then again, maybe trunk space isnt as important to you as it is to me. I need space for my Golf clubs.
Old 06-09-03, 05:54 AM
hemogoblin
Lexus Test Driver

I took the sub out of its stock location, but I think I want to also take out the rear speakers. Just looking at the stock location I can see the air pounding its way in, Im wondering if air came from 3 holes would it sound a bit better.
Old 06-09-03, 09:53 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by TTurboPimp
Theres no reason that you couldnt fit that stuff on the rear shelf area in the trunk, unless Im way off base. I know you can do that sub in a pretty small sealed enclosure

Not gonna happen, the magnet structure wouldn't even come close to clearing the gas tank, let alone room for an enclosure, and you can't do that sub in a pretty small enclosure, one 13w7 requires almost 2 cu.ft. for sealed, and almost 2.5 cu.ft. for ported. Pity to lose almost the entire trunk for the one sub....
Old 06-09-03, 01:30 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Damn, I geuss I stand corrected. I have a 12W6V2 in a box with a Jl500/1 mounted up there with room to spare. I geuss there is a huge difference in air space required for the W6 and the W7. I was actually egtting ready to switch out to a 12W7, if it takes that much room there is no way I can do that, I need some trunk space.