Sponsored by:

Whats a good component brand?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-03, 11:37 AM
BLu_Gs3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Whats a good component brand?

Im looking for that LOUD and CLEAR sound. I want people to hear me coming from a block away. I've been told that MB QUARTS and FOCAL is pretty good. One of my friends got 10in EV's (Electric Voice) in his car and I can hear him coming from at least 3 blocks away. I been shopping around on the net. Sometimes i get confused on what they mean when they sell the components as a PAIR? Is it 1 tweeter, 1 mid-range, 1 crossover? or 2 of each? Also, im not sure which size i can put on the doors of my 99 GS? Getting music is really serious!!
Old 06-15-03, 12:24 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

what you hear from blocks (doubtful) more like houses away is just bass. a good pair of subs in the right box will do that.

i have mb quart front and rear components and i say they are really really clear. sometimes i think they are a little bit too bright though. i hate when this cars drive by and all you hear is tweeters and bass. and no mids. mb quart will give you great highs and pretty good mids.
Old 06-15-03, 04:10 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

quarts are very good, but they can't handle stuff like white zombie or any metal very well. they just shrill up.

FOCAL, AVS, and ID do great on that sort of music though and handle everything else to boot. MB was primarily designed for a more musical type of Jennifer Warnes sound, the other two brands i mentioned were designed to just be overall good in every department. I gotta give it to MB though, they designed the speakers for one particular area, and they nailed it on the head!
Old 06-15-03, 06:04 PM
asnatlas
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Whats a good component brand?

Originally posted by BLu_Gs3
Im looking for that LOUD and CLEAR sound. I want people to hear me coming from a block away. I've been told that MB QUARTS and FOCAL is pretty good. One of my friends got 10in EV's (Electric Voice) in his car and I can hear him coming from at least 3 blocks away. I been shopping around on the net. Sometimes i get confused on what they mean when they sell the components as a PAIR? Is it 1 tweeter, 1 mid-range, 1 crossover? or 2 of each? Also, im not sure which size i can put on the doors of my 99 GS? Getting music is really serious!!
I myself just picked up some Infinity Kappa's I was also looking at some JL Audio XR Series components. But I got the Infinity Kappa's for a good price and I think they would be better for me for what I wanted over the JL Audio's. Looking on the net is a good place to get speakers as long as you make sure it is from a GOOD source. I got my Kappa Series for about $50.00 then the Reference Series from my local Circuit City store. I myself am not looking for people to hear me from 3 blocks away LOL, I just want to well rounded system that sounds good to me and I don't need others to hear from blocks away... And when you read on the net and they say "PAIR" they are just stating you are getting 2 tweeters, 2 mids, and 2 crossovers. They are just stating that because I am sure ALOT of people would e-mail them if they did not state they were selling a "PAIR". To me unless other wised specified I would assume they would come in a pair, but I guess other people would think the opposite.

BTW: You listed brands for speakers, but what about subs and amps ?? A system is not only made up of speakers but also how you get them their music, So you would want to get some good amp(s) and good cables, don't get the cheap stuff. You get what you pay for.

GL on you setup and let us know what you go with.
Shawn
Old 06-15-03, 06:58 PM
BLu_Gs3
Driver

Im just a music fanatic. I figure would start with components then work my way to subs and TV's. Im also in a car club ( SPMG . . Solo Pa Mi Gente Auto Club). Every Trophy party we throw i see no competition when it comes to music. Everyone who competes just got a nice system setup, but no good sound. Thats why i want to kill them out there. I mainly listen to hip-hop/RnB so i guess MB Quarts wont give me everything that im supposed to hear. I'll probably look into FOCAL then . . THANKS!
Old 06-17-03, 09:24 AM
RX300-BV
Lead Lap

For components, I like Boston Acoustics and MB Quart. Focal I understand has some good products out there as well. I've never heard any Focal products myself though so I couldn't recommend them.
Old 06-17-03, 12:07 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

MB Quarts are a bit too bright for me, even at the -6db setting on the xover. A/D/S/ is pretty good...smooth and mellow. But my favorite, has got to be the Dynaudio speakers. Extremely neutral on the vocals.

Percy
Old 06-17-03, 02:02 PM
GaryDell
Rookie

If you want loud, tough to beat a pair of horns and 8's. But you never mentioned a budget.
Old 06-17-03, 04:14 PM
BLu_Gs3
Driver

loL . . WoW . . a budget? Nah man, no budget here. I just wanna make sure its just loud and clear. I dont care if i gotta put amps on all the speakers. As long as it loud and clear . .
Old 06-17-03, 06:01 PM
GaryDell
Rookie

Then I would send a pair of Image Dynamics CD2 Minihorns ($ 650.00 @carmedia1.com) about 80 watts per side (realise they are 8ohm drivers). If you need info on installing them, just ask over at Termpro.com's Mids and Tweets forum. You can play these drivers fairly low, 1khz would be a good HP point.

As for midbass, plenty of good choices. As for 8" speakers, I would recommend Illusion Audio, Morel, and Vifa. If you want to get interesting, I think dual Revelator's (7" speakers) in each door could sound fantastic if done properly, but a single pair of Rev's could probably give you the output and midbass to satisfy. Just make sure to send them plenty of power so as to keep up with the horns.

The aforementioned setup would best be done with a pair (or 4) amps and would require an active xover capable of lowpassing the midbass and highpassing the horns (unless you find an amp that is capable of such a highpass point). Passive xovers or Lpads coud be used to do this, but active is your best bet.

Last edited by GaryDell; 06-17-03 at 06:41 PM.
Old 06-18-03, 07:31 AM
skpark70
Lexus Champion

I took a recommendation from Percy and went with Dynaudio 240GT(fr) MW160(rr) and happy ever since, it seem like sound better now than it was new.