Richie
Lexus Fanatic

I love that headunit location!!!!
Awesome, just awesome.
Old 06-16-03 | 02:23 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Originally posted by Sam Khoury
Very nice installation! I wanted to put the Valentine 1 concealed display unit in the same place where you put the radio faceplate but I use the homelink so I haven't decided exactly what I'm going to do yet.
Sam ,
Hold off on the Valentine 1 install. I have another custom job that you might like. If I get it done before the Carson meet, you'll see it posted soon.
Old 06-16-03 | 02:56 PM
Sam Khoury
Lead Lap

Originally posted by RMMGS4
Sam ,
Hold off on the Valentine 1 install. I have another custom job that you might like. If I get it done before the Carson meet, you'll see it posted soon.
Ok I'll wait, I haven't done it yet. But here's what I was thinking. I didn't want to spend the cash to get the Valentine display built into the rearview mirror so I thought about putting the concealed display unit either where the homelink was and modifying the GS sunglass holder to be like door to reveal the conceal display unit or putting it in the ashtray (as done by another CL member) but I hadn't made my final decision. The sunglass holder I'm referring to is the one which Steve Ganz is offering as a group buy. I was planning on putting the remote audio adapter in place of the change holder on the left side of the dash next to the mirror controls since I compared the size of the change holder and remote audio adapter and they are almost identical. I wanted to feed the audio output from the adapter into my Nav/ML system. I was going to put the main Valentine unit in a U shaped box hanging from ceiling/headliner over the rear seat right before where the rear glass starts since the higher it sits, the better it will perform. I wanted to build the U shaped box so that it would make the Valentine sit completely horizontal with the sections of the box that face the front and rear windshields open (hence U shaped) so that the sensors wouldn't be blocked. I would also make it low enough to clear the rear view mirror in the front but since the roof line slopes down towards the rear windshield, I didn't think that would be difficult to make it clear the rearview mirror. I would also cover the box in ivory felt so that it would match the rest of the headliner. Then I'd run the wires under the headliner from the rear to the front of the car where the concealed display unit and remote audio units are located. Then I'd connect everything together using the second diagram on this page from the Valentine web site. I'm obviously curious to see what you're custom job would look like but what do you think of my design?

Last edited by Sam Khoury; 06-16-03 at 02:57 PM.
Old 06-16-03 | 03:13 PM
RMMGS4

Sam,
You pretty much have the same idea for my main unit install. I would do it so that it looked like a third brake light. Your're certaintly on the right track if you cover it with headliner material.

As far as the remote display, the ashtray and Homelink locations have been done before, so there are old posts that cover that.

I'm sorry, but you'll have to wait a little longer before I reveal what I am going to do with the remote display, mainly because I have to find out if I can make it fit. All I can tell you is that it will be 100% stealth, is ideal for driver viewing, never been done before (to my knowledge) and possible for DIY types to copy.

Stay Tuned.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 06-16-03 at 03:14 PM.
Old 06-16-03 | 04:38 PM
Sam Khoury
Lead Lap

RMMGS4, I can't wait to see it. I've never seen anyone put the concealed display unit where the homelink is located. I'm going to do a quick search to see if I can find it but if you know who did or have a link to the thread, I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-16-03 | 08:07 PM
Neo
The One

Just wanted to say congrats to you guys on the install. I've seen it in phases and know the hours you spent on it. The end product looks awesome.

RMMGS4, you have too many posts on the different things you did so I'll just give you the here.
Old 06-17-03 | 02:15 AM
RMMGS4

Originally posted by Neo
Just wanted to say congrats to you guys on the install. I've seen it in phases and know the hours you spent on it. The end product looks awesome.

RMMGS4, you have too many posts on the different things you did so I'll just give you the here.
Thanks All ! It's nice to have hard work appreciated.

Chris, You are one of the few who saw these projects evolve, and have seen a lot of the details that weren't even covered in my threads.

Sam,
I know the Homelink location has been discussed, but actually don't remember seeing an install posted.

I've got another un-released project to show in that location.

I won't be responding often, until I get my V1 install done & posted. I've only got a few more days left.

Stay Tuned.
Old 06-17-03 | 02:59 AM
jawnthen
Lead Lap

thanks everyone for the wonderful comments.

here's a at night...the AC control colors were changed to match the headunit.
Attached Thumbnails navigation upgrade-niteshot.jpg  
Old 06-17-03 | 03:01 AM
jawnthen
Lead Lap

Thanks All ! It's nice to have hard work appreciated.

Chris, You are one of the few who saw these projects evolve, and have seen a lot of the details that weren't even covered in my threads.

Sam,
I know the Homelink location has been discussed, but actually don't remember seeing an install posted.

I've got another un-released project to show in that location.

I won't be responding often, until I get my V1 install done & posted. I've only got a few more days left.

Stay Tuned.
damn, I just saw the almost finished V1 install and it looks soooooo good it will make you want to buy a V1 even if you weren't planning to!!!
Old 06-17-03 | 08:25 AM
Neo
The One

Originally posted by jawnthen
damn, I just saw the almost finished V1 install and it looks soooooo good it will make you want to buy a V1 even if you weren't planning to!!!
I was planning to, so bring it on. This one I have not seen.

BTW, I just missed you guys yesterday at Exact. They said you guys were in in the morning. I came I the afternoon.
Old 06-17-03 | 09:44 AM
RMMGS4

Originally posted by Neo
I was planning to, so bring it on. This one I have not seen.

BTW, I just missed you guys yesterday at Exact. They said you guys were in in the morning. I came I the afternoon.
The V1 install is a coming? I'll post a new thread either late tonight or tomorrow.

So Chris, did John tell you the other mods I CRAMMED in to my tight schedule.

I'm soooo busy with this custom work that I actually broke down and Paid John to do the "EZ" mods for me ,even though you know I am a DIYer.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 06-17-03 at 11:07 AM.
Old 06-17-03 | 10:47 AM
Neo
The One

So Chris, did John tell you the other mods I CRAMMED in to my tight schedule.
I didn't know and he didn't bring it up. Now you've piqued my curiosity.

I'm soooo busy with this custom work that I actiually broke down and Paid John to do the "EZ" mods for me ,even though you know I am a DIYer.
I hear ya. Time is $. $ you can do something about. Time ...

Gotta do what you gotta do to maximize time.
Old 06-17-03 | 10:59 AM
apatel
Pole Position

I agree...amazing...simply amazing.

Originally posted by Richie
I love that headunit location!!!!
Awesome, just awesome.
Old 06-17-03 | 01:57 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

What did you use to make the side panels look so much like stock?
I mean the panel you mounted the screan to.
Old 06-18-03 | 02:46 AM
jawnthen
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Richie
What did you use to make the side panels look so much like stock?
I mean the panel you mounted the screan to.
Richie,
A router was used to cut the basic shape. To get the smooth curve, it took a lot of hand sanding, bondo, and primer. If I sanded off too much, I would build it back up with bondo or thick coats of primer. To try to speed up the process, we would baked them in an oven between primer coats. To get the look of plastic, we found a textured spray paint. Adding the buttons from the stock Nak headunit helped too. Originally, I had it centered, but after seeing the nav in the GS430, I decided to copy that layout.
Attached Thumbnails navigation upgrade-int_gs-382.jpg  

Quick Reply: navigation upgrade