Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Headrest Monitor project: no visible wires

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-04, 05:13 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 311 Likes on 189 Posts

I know I am dredging an old thread here, but I wanted to pic your brains RMMGS4!

I want to start planning my audio upgrade for next summer and your monitor install in the headrests is exactly what I am looking for.

In preparation for the drive down to D.C. next year for the planned East Coast Lexus Meet 2005 - I want to install at a minimum 7 inches or more if possible TV monitors in the rear headrests.

This is for 2 main purposes:
So that my kids can watch DVD movies and/or play PS2 games during the 8 hour drive down for the meet.

1. What monitors can you recommend for this purpose? Please be as specific as possible about the brand. I am looking for something in the medium price range. Not crap, but not necessarily very high end either.

2. Any other advice you can give me in this endevour would be great. I will post other details of the system later to get your opinion on those as well.

Thanks!
Old 12-20-04, 12:25 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hameed,
when I get home tonight, I'll dig DEEP into my photo archives and see what I've got, plus I'll answer your Q's.

Glen
Old 12-20-04, 12:38 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
Hameed,
when I get home tonight, I'll dig DEEP into my photo archives and see what I've got, plus I'll answer your Q's.

Glen
Thanks Glen! Looking forward to your insights later today!

Other info about my planned install (don't know if it will ever happen - but it helps to plan it just in case I get a windfall or something).

I don't know if I will ever get to installing my SQ focussed audio system using Pioneer's DEX and DEQ P9.

However if I do so one day, I also want to install a navigation system and was wondering if anyone else has done something similar that could give me some pointers and tips.

Which nav systems are good to use in a car with a decent audio system. I really like the Pioneer AVIC N1, but some of its audio related features will be redundant considering that I would prefer to use the audio features of the DEX and DEQ P9 I already have. Of course the bigger problem with using an AVIC N1 in this scenario is that there won't be any space in the dash for the AVIC N1 if the DEQ and DEX P9 are in there.

The other factor I need to throw in the mix is that I want to install LCD monitors in the headrests so that my kids can watch DVD movies and or play PS2.
Old 12-20-04, 10:25 PM
RMMGS4

Wink

Hameed,
just realized this post has most of the pics I have on the install. Monitors for the kids are very useful. A couple of pointers, you might want to have the option for the monitors to accept independent sources. This way the kids don't have to watch the same thing. The next thing I would recommend is to get 3 channel wireless headphones by Direct Electronics. This way they can switch between 3 listening sources, such as DVD, game or cd. The 3 way switch is right on the headphones, so you don't need to do switching for them from the driver seat.

I custom installed an old Nintendo 64 on the transmission hump. Makes it easy to access the games. I wanted to put the new mini sized Playstation One, but my daughter still likes the old games on Nintendo. Guess the PS 1 will have to go in the wifey's car ! The new PS1 is so small it will fit great on the transmission hump with a custom install.

As far as a medium performance 7" monitor , a good buy is the Farenheit MHR-7001. This is basically the same monitor I used except mine was the Accele branded version. The resolution will not come close to a Pioneer or Alpine monitor, but the kids won't be able to tell much with video games and are average for movie playback quality. The key problem with a 7 inch is it won't fit on the stock headrest without overlapping the seams. You have the option to have the factory headrest widened with foam and re-upholstered, but I like the stock shape and thought widening it looked too bulky for my taste. This is why I took apart the monitor frame and mounted it from behind. That way I could fit my 7inch and still kept the stock headrest shape.

Another choice is to trade the rear seat headrests with the fronts. They are already wider and a seven inch will fit pretty easy.

Last choice is to just buy all new headrests that come pre-installed with monitors. SAVV makes some great monitors with headrests. The cost is reasonable when you consider what the labor would cost to have monitors installed in custom built headrests.

As far as a SQ system. I have a lot to say there but its off topic for this thread. Let's just say I am in process to build a hard core competition level SQ system, without the excess install bling required to compete. When it comes to audio, I'm more into performance with less emphasis on looks.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 12-20-04 at 10:31 PM.
Old 12-21-04, 07:31 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
Hameed,
just realized this post has most of the pics I have on the install. Monitors for the kids are very useful. A couple of pointers, you might want to have the option for the monitors to accept independent sources. This way the kids don't have to watch the same thing. The next thing I would recommend is to get 3 channel wireless headphones by Direct Electronics. This way they can switch between 3 listening sources, such as DVD, game or cd. The 3 way switch is right on the headphones, so you don't need to do switching for them from the driver seat.
Excellent suggestion. Does this mean that a separate DVD player needs to be hooked up for them? I don't anticipate watching movies myself in the front, so perhaps a single DVD player is good enough just for the back? Would they be able to control the DVD movies at the back? I am guessing I would have to have the DVD player at the back? This is too confusing for my feeble brain.

I custom installed an old Nintendo 64 on the transmission hump. Makes it easy to access the games. I wanted to put the new mini sized Playstation One, but my daughter still likes the old games on Nintendo. Guess the PS 1 will have to go in the wifey's car ! The new PS1 is so small it will fit great on the transmission hump with a custom install.
We have a PS2 and it would mean having to take out of the car and put it back in the house for them to use when they are not in the car. I cannot at the moment install a second Play Station system in the car. Mainly $ restraints.

As far as a medium performance 7" monitor , a good buy is the Farenheit MHR-7001. This is basically the same monitor I used except mine was the Accele branded version. The resolution will not come close to a Pioneer or Alpine monitor, but the kids won't be able to tell much with video games and are average for movie playback quality. The key problem with a 7 inch is it won't fit on the stock headrest without overlapping the seams. You have the option to have the factory headrest widened with foam and re-upholstered, but I like the stock shape and thought widening it looked too bulky for my taste. This is why I took apart the monitor frame and mounted it from behind. That way I could fit my 7inch and still kept the stock headrest shape.
I really would like to do the same thing as you did........
Another choice is to trade the rear seat headrests with the fronts. They are already wider and a seven inch will fit pretty easy.

Last choice is to just buy all new headrests that come pre-installed with monitors. SAVV makes some great monitors with headrests. The cost is reasonable when you consider what the labor would cost to have monitors installed in custom built headrests.
Hmmm........... Not sure what to do now...........

As far as a SQ system. I have a lot to say there but its off topic for this thread. Let's just say I am in process to build a hard core competition level SQ system, without the excess install bling required to compete. When it comes to audio, I'm more into performance with less emphasis on looks.
I would love to hear details of your system. Please send me an email when you get a chance! Just like you I am also more into performance than looks. Real substance is what it is all about as far as I am concerned.
Old 12-24-04, 10:09 AM
RMMGS4

Originally Posted by Hameed
Excellent suggestion. Does this mean that a separate DVD player needs to be hooked up for them? I don't anticipate watching movies myself in the front, so perhaps a single DVD player is good enough just for the back? Would they be able to control the DVD movies at the back? I am guessing I would have to have the DVD player at the back? This is too confusing for my feeble brain.
You can split the audio and video right out of the DVD, CD, etc, so that the audio / video is independent of what you hear out the speakers and see on the front screen. On my car all three monitors can be watching something different. The headphones are completely independent of the rest of the system. They are 3 channel , so again, you can listen to the source independent of what you are playing through the main system. Might sound complicated, but basically you are adding splitters on each source, one goes to the main and the other to the rear monitors and headphones.

We have a PS2 and it would mean having to take out of the car and put it back in the house for them to use when they are not in the car. I cannot at the moment install a second Play Station system in the car. Mainly $ restraints.
Well the NEW PS2 is smaller. The old one you have won't fit where I'm talking. The new one also retails for $150. Too bad they're out of stock for Xmas, but I did manage to get one. Don't know about your kids, but mine is the best entertained with games. On long trips, it's silence all the way.

I would love to hear details of your system. Please send me an email when you get a chance! Just like you I am also more into performance than looks. Real substance is what it is all about as far as I am concerned.
Well you got an e-mail on that already. One day, I might actually compete in an IASCA SQ class, just for fun and to see how my system scores under a standardized nationally used scoring system. If I score well, then that would be some cool bragging rights.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 12-24-04 at 10:12 AM.
Old 01-31-05, 01:08 PM
GS408
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was just wondering. are you able to adjust the position of the headrest with the monitors installed? I mean the tilt motion from front to back.
Old 01-31-05, 06:47 PM
RMMGS4

Originally Posted by GS408
i was just wondering. are you able to adjust the position of the headrest with the monitors installed? I mean the tilt motion from front to back.

Everything works the same as a stock headrest, except you can't pull the headrest completely off of the seat without disconnecting the wires, from behind the rear seat cover. That requires removing two screws and a couple of minutes of your time.