Battery Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-03, 05:15 PM
Ishinc
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Questions

hey CL
Guess what, the most embarrassing happened today. i was at the car wash, had the best looking car there and BAM. My car's battery dies and the guy can't pull it out of the car wash and had to push it out! then i had to wait about half an hour to get someone to jump it for me....anyways.

i searched around the forums and im thinking about getting a optima battery, but i can't get any direct answers, some recommend the yellow top and some recommend the red top. i don't have any audio equipment in my car and it's totally stock. what are the benefits of this battery vs the oem battery? what model am i supposed to get? and the spacer? and something bout streching of the positive wire? whats that all about? lastly where is a place i can get it for a good deal? THANKS!

1999 GS300
Old 06-16-03, 05:39 PM
cyclemax
Lead Lap

Ishinc:

I just replaced the battery in my 98 GS400. I first tried a battery from BJ's Wholesale Club (like a Sam's) using their "best fit estimate" application guide. Well, it was too short for the stock battery cover (which supports the cables BTW), so returned it and went to AutoZone. Their battery was the correct size dimensionally, but it had a carry strap which could be removed, but the mounting bosses on each side of the battery made it so the cover had to be stretched over it, which was unacceptable to me. I finally got it right with a NAPA Gold battery for about $70. It fits perfect, exactly like stock.

I'll admit I'm a little obsessive when it comes to the way stuff fits, but I couldn't see adding spacers, cutting batteries, or stretching cables on a $50K car. I'd rather have a great battery that fits perfect than an overkill battery that doesn't. If you've got a sick audio system, it's a different story, but otherwise, I'd suggest you save your money, aggravation, and keep your electrical system as close to original as possible.
Old 06-16-03, 07:32 PM
LEXMATIC
Driver School Candidate

Question Battery

I have the red Optima now and I have 8 TV's, sound system and a whole bunch of another cool gadgets and I'm in need of a new one and I'm going to go with the yellow one since it's the deep cycle one or get a second one. The blue one is marine so don't even bother with that one.. I think the red one is perfect for you unless you decide on doing some upgrades.. To me Optima is the best because this one I have is still going for me and I have it for the 4th year already without haveing any problems with it until now. Same thing happened to me but little different, I died out because I forgot to shut off my HID's for like 5 minutes. So in all, it's going on its 5th year me having this battery, so I highly recommend it!

Hope this helped in any way,
LEXMATIC

Last edited by LEXMATIC; 06-17-03 at 09:43 AM.
Old 06-16-03, 09:06 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am also in search of a good battery, and have decided on the Optima yellow top. I am going with the yellow top because of the system I am installing which will require a lot of juice, and I know that it will fit. optima is definately a great battery and you really cant go wrong with them. Good luck with your battery issues.
Old 06-16-03, 11:48 PM
salimshah

Received 1,050 Likes on 948 Posts

Check previous threads and keep in mind that optimas are not drop-in replacements. The height is less and the wires do not reach the terminals easily (they are long enough but the posts are further away from the edge on optimas.

Salim
Old 06-17-03, 09:49 AM
LEXMATIC
Driver School Candidate

Post Very Truse

You're right Salimshah the wires don't reach at first but you can always cut the sides of the housing a little bit and than they'll fit perfect. The Optima battery I think is still the best battery even though you have to make a couple of adjustements to make it fit.

LEXMATIC
Old 06-17-03, 03:12 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just pick up (free) one of those plastic battery trays that the batteries are transported in, and slip it underneath the Optima. You're golden then -> no worries.

EDIT: about halfway down the page

http://www.digitalsimple.com/Paintin...rottleBody.htm

Last edited by ///MDex; 06-17-03 at 04:17 PM.
Old 06-20-03, 02:56 PM
Ishinc
Driver

hey, i'm an gonna go with the red top. does anybody have the model number for the battery i need? i can't find it on the website. About how much is a reasonable price? and where?!

THANKS
Old 06-21-03, 02:04 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with the optima yellow top and it solved all my worries. Had to make a few adjustments to the height of the battery and tray but overall no big deal.
As far as the red top just call any auto parts store near you and see if they carry it. Discount Auto Parts had the yellow and red top. The red top was like $105 and the yellow top was $155. Most places will carry them or at least order them for you. Make sure you get one of the trays that they ship the batteries in to boost up the height.
Old 06-23-03, 08:21 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

i got the yellow top and it helped a lot, i just cut the tray from the bottom and it fit perfect after that... good luck
Old 06-26-03, 08:29 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a yellow top and love it- I can leave my dome light on all night long and not have to worry a bit. I've had it for a year now and never a problem. Pep boys sells them for $159, but if you know anyone in the military, the shoppette sometimes sells them for $139 with no tax.
I would say get a yellow over the red, b/c for the extra couple of dollars it is worth it in case of an upgrade in the future.
Oh, and I use a yellow battery tray that Optima makes to boost it up to stock height. It will fit on the bottom or over the top, which then covers the connections. I think it was like $10 or so.

Tim
Old 01-31-06, 07:10 AM
SMOKE
Driver School Candidate

For all you guys that are looking for the right size battery for your ride, all you have to do is measure the battery well dimentions, (Length, width and hight) and go to Optima's websight for the right size battery for you Lex. Cutting pieces of wood or plastic isn't excactly neccessary. You paid a lot of money for your car so do some research, it goes a long way.
Old 01-31-06, 07:15 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,242 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by SMOKE
For all you guys that are looking for the right size battery for your ride, all you have to do is measure the battery well dimentions, (Length, width and hight) and go to Optima's websight for the right size battery for you Lex. Cutting pieces of wood or plastic isn't excactly neccessary. You paid a lot of money for your car so do some research, it goes a long way.
Smoke, we've done our research (this is a three year old thread) and there is NOT an equivalent sized battery to the OEM Lexus battery in many cases. The methods in this thread and others on the forum are required to get a good fit with the somewhat stiff OEM battery connections.
Old 01-31-06, 05:33 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

I will back Dave up on this one. No Optima I know, even the one that I have, was ever a perfect fit in a Lexus. It takes a little modification to work.