Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

wanna put ALOT of power in my SC sound system5000watts!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-03, 10:20 PM
b0mExLeX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation wanna put ALOT of power in my SC sound system5000watts!!

hi,
i hvae a 97' sc400...i really want a POWERFUL sub(2 acually) and amp...well, ive been looking around for about a month now, and im concentrating on audiobahn.

Lets start out w/ the amp. audiobahn has a CRAZY AMP, u acually have 2 sign a waver to buy it, (5000 yes 5000 watts for 1 sub 4000 for 2subs!!) well..thats jus how big and loud i want it... . if u wanna c it..(http://www.audiobahninc.com/frameset.html)
thats one big amp to deal w/. im pretty sure its measurments are 15" by 16" by 10" and i still need room for 2 15 inch subs....iono if i can do it..

the subs are audiobahn also, called linear compression, they can handle 3000 watts of power....i dunt know if i shood get an encloser for my subs(is there even enoough room?)....because if i pump enough bass to them the encloser will break and is it true that if you have your subs facing upwards your truck will ratle?? cuz if thats tru, and my subs are facing up, my truck will FLY off

i know this seems alittle crazy but it is what i want....

just wanna know what i can do to make this fit.... some tips where to put it...and if it doesnt fit, wut else will fit that has this much power....any feedback will help
Old 06-19-03, 12:22 AM
GaryDell
Rookie

Wow.

OK, first of all, Audiobahn (IMO) is poo. I've never been impressed with any of their equipment. The amp is most certainly overrated. Second, your "5000 watts for one sub, 4000 for two" claim makes no sense. Third, few subs can handle 5kw. NO SUB WILL HANDLE 5000 WATTS FREEAIR. You will absolutely need an enclosure with that kind of power. Fourth, a properly designed enclosure will not break, no matter what kind of power or sub you place in it. Fifth, to properly power subwoofers with 5000 watts, you are going to have to make significant electrical system upgrades. Definitely a new alternator, upgrade the magic wires, several extra batteries.

I have no idea how large the trunk of an SC is, don't know what your budget is, and honestly have little interest in the kind of SPL you're looking for, so I will make no recommendations as to what you should do (just advise on what not to do).

Last edited by GaryDell; 06-19-03 at 12:22 AM.
Old 06-19-03, 02:08 AM
audiogil
Rookie

Default bass

i totally agree with garydell.
the brands are way to overrated compared to what they can actually do.
a true 5000 watt amp (if there is one) would probaly cost 5000 dollars.
what do you get the audiobahn for? 400? 500?600?
if thats what it costs then that should tell you something.
i already met someone with the same mentality that you have and he also wanted audiobahn just cause they are affordable. what happened to him? check out the gallery of (rthammar).
there is really only one way to do it and that is the right and expensive way.lets not forget the extra $2000.00 that needs to be spent for getting rid of "rattles" with 5000 watts. just ask rthammar.
i think that you need to rethink what you are trying to do.
Old 06-19-03, 04:11 AM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I definetely agree with both of the posts above. Audiobahn is a big nono. If you really want an amp that produces impressive power you might look into US Amps or even better TRU Hammer. For subs you might want to look into DD, Treo or Kicker L7 (off the top of my head). The most critical part is to build the right kind of box for the woofer of choice. I am going to tell you right now that it will take up all your trunk. It has to be one bigass ported box. If built right you will get away with 1 sub and it will be loud to the point where you won't be able to sit in your car with half of the volume.
Don't forget about the electrical system to run all this.
Old 06-19-03, 07:13 AM
futuregs
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get 2 13.5 JL W7's with two 1000.1 JL Amp....that will put out MORE tan enough power.
Old 06-19-03, 07:27 AM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: wanna put ALOT of power in my SC sound system5000watts!!

Here's where marketing hype will get you in trouble. If you notice, they say "5000 watts into 1 ohm" and "4000 watts into 2 ohms" - this isn't the amount of speakers, it's the impedance of the speaker being used. I don't know of ANY 1 ohm speaker on the market, with the possible exception of Bose proprietary / stock Acura systems.

Now if you're running 4 ohms, then it'll become 2000 watts. But then with all the wattage, you'll HAVE TO upgrade the electical system FIRST.

Just out of curiousity...what are your system goals? It's nice to brag about the wattage numbers, but if the amp you're using is of so-so caliber, then it really doesn't mean anything...

Percy

Originally posted by b0mExLeX
hi,
i hvae a 97' sc400...i really want a POWERFUL sub(2 acually) and amp...well, ive been looking around for about a month now, and im concentrating on audiobahn.

Lets start out w/ the amp. audiobahn has a CRAZY AMP, u acually have 2 sign a waver to buy it, (5000 yes 5000 watts for 1 sub 4000 for 2subs!!) well..thats jus how big and loud i want it... . if u wanna c it..(http://www.audiobahninc.com/frameset.html)
thats one big amp to deal w/. im pretty sure its measurments are 15" by 16" by 10" and i still need room for 2 15 inch subs....iono if i can do it..

the subs are audiobahn also, called linear compression, they can handle 3000 watts of power....i dunt know if i shood get an encloser for my subs(is there even enoough room?)....because if i pump enough bass to them the encloser will break and is it true that if you have your subs facing upwards your truck will ratle?? cuz if thats tru, and my subs are facing up, my truck will FLY off

i know this seems alittle crazy but it is what i want....

just wanna know what i can do to make this fit.... some tips where to put it...and if it doesnt fit, wut else will fit that has this much power....any feedback will help
Old 06-19-03, 08:55 AM
b0mExLeX
Driver School Candidate

hmmmmmmm... wut u said about audiobahn being overrated, thats exactly what mmy friend said but i wasnt sure if he knew what he was talking about.

anyway, i was thinking last night, instead of buying 1 giant amp, i could get 2 2000 watt amps and hook those up 2 each sub. that would seem like the way to go??? not sure.

i was also wondering, are audiobahn amps just overrated, or is everything of theirs including subs?

i wont buy anything unless im 100% sure that is the best 1 for me so im still looking
Old 06-19-03, 09:02 AM
b0mExLeX
Driver School Candidate

oh yeah, jus wanted 2 say that i am willing 2 spend $$3000 on the amp/sup/any electrcical thing i need to buy. probly 2000 more on any other thing that will make it sound better i.e getting rid of the rattles etc.
Old 06-19-03, 09:13 AM
LS400
Club Lexus Editor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to agree with everyone's comments so far.

Audiobahn is notorious for their high failure rates (for many of their subwoofers and amplifiers - partially due to their overrating of their products' power handling capabilities as well as the build quality).

If your goals are to strictly "get loud," here is a list of subwoofers that will serve the purpose quite well.

Digital Designs 9917/9915
Digital Designs 9515/9512/9510
MMATS Juggernaut
Treo Engineering CSX
Treo Engineering SSX
Shocker Audio Signature
Shocker Audio Shocker III's
Shocker Audio Extreme 2's
Shocker Audio Super Extreme
Shocker Audio Extreme
Resonant Engineering XXX
Resonant Engineering HC
Resonant Engineering SE (gets loud in lower-power applications)
Bostwick DCL Drag R
Elemental Designs eSP15
Beyond Audio Inhumans
Beyond Audio PSI (will be released soon)
American Bass VFL Cast (uses the same motor as the Shocker Audio Extreme)
American Bass CX
Orion H2 (works best with smaller enclosures)
Atomic Apocalypse X
Kove Ultra Armageddon U-2
Kicker SoloX

Shocker Audio is in the process of moving their HQ to California so it'll be a while before they get their game back together.

As for amplifiers, here's a quick list of some brands:

U.S Amps
Tru Technology
Viper Audio
Directed
MMATS
Resonant Engineering
Visonik (they do overrate their power handling ratings, but they still perform quite well)
Earthquake (although the build quality is not good anymore)
Zapco (if you can find the Zapco 4kw, you're golden)

Last edited by LS400; 06-19-03 at 09:30 AM.
Old 06-19-03, 01:33 PM
GaryDell
Rookie

Originally posted by b0mExLeX
oh yeah, jus wanted 2 say that i am willing 2 spend $$3000 on the amp/sup/any electrcical thing i need to buy. probly 2000 more on any other thing that will make it sound better i.e getting rid of the rattles etc.
Is this a for an SPL competition system? You need to realise that with the type of setup you're looking at getting, you are no longer going to be able to hear lyrics, and soon you'll have trouble hearing anything at all. $5K can buy a fantastic all around system, but maybe that's not what you're looking for...
Old 06-19-03, 08:49 PM
Sleepyboi
Lead Lap

i dont think i've even seen many 2k watt amps. The only one that i can think of off the top of my head is the Directed 2400D and that amp is pretty damm expensive. I have a directed 1100D amp right now and i have had no problems with it and i'm running it at 1 ohm. and btw, i cant think of any sub that can hold 2k watts RMS. I'm running 2 12" Diamond TDX's and they can only hold 1K watts, and these aren't some cheepo *** subs.

also i have to agree with these guys Audiobahn is an extremly poor brand for subs and amps. I've seen at least 5 audiobahn subs blown and at least 3 audiobahn amps fried. And they werent even being pushed very hard. IMO if u want a nice system u gotta spend the cash. I've already spent over 4K on my stereo and im not even done.
Old 06-20-03, 12:55 AM
RX300-BV
Lead Lap

Listen to what everyone else is saying. But understand this, bigger (watts) is not always better, it may only be louder. For good, clean bass, you need a good sub, a good amp, and a very good enclosure. The best woofer and sub in a crappy enclosure will only give you crappy sound. I don't think it's realistic to squeeze two 15"'s into your trunk, at least not if you want a well designed box.
Old 06-20-03, 02:01 AM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't think he wants some clean bass with 5kwrms

Lexus cars are bass-traps. It all stays in the trunk.
Old 06-20-03, 10:30 AM
RX300-BV
Lead Lap

Retro,

Your probably right.

But he does state he wants to drop 3K for a loud setup and 2K to improve the sound and reduce rattles. With 5K he should be able to get clean, strong bass with the right equipment and proper installation. It just may not have the big wattage numbers to brag about.

One more advice for B0mbEX,

Let your sound do the bragging, not your wattage.
Old 06-23-03, 05:33 AM
Slow_go_400
Rookie

Originally posted by RX300-BV

Let your sound do the bragging, not your wattage.
WERD!!!!!

Bomexlex,

Oh yeah.. I wouldnt suggest facing the woofers upwards. Because if you do, no matter how much Daymat you have in your trunk you won't beable to stop the lid from trying to open. I know I made the mistake of facing my 2 15's upwards. Best bet is for your to either have face them towards the front or back. But make sure you make the "air" move through the cabin.

Last edited by Slow_go_400; 06-23-03 at 05:37 AM.

Quick Reply: wanna put ALOT of power in my SC sound system5000watts!!