Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Sound Quality 1st place For USAC Competition.

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-03, 12:09 PM
zxlr8
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sound Quality 1st place For USAC Competition.

I have never entered a SQ contest, so this weekend i decided to enter the USAC competition in Cody Wyoming on Saturday. I was surprised at how well i did. I won the big trophy and a nice set of reference component speakers. I had a good time and learned a lot. I had my fade even and was told just by moving it to the front, I would have scored 9 more points. I scored a 166. The subbass was too hot, but other than that, it was very linear. He told me to do a few minor things which should pick me up more points as well. The system was all torn apart 9 hours before the competition, so I spent very little time tuning. I hit 134 db legally which helped too. I wasn't happy with my spl as I have hit 139 when I was tuned for spl. Oh well. I need to figure out how to do that better. The competition was not much, but he told me I would probably do pretty well at finals as it sits. I know retrodrive is into sound quality and I wanted to tell him the LS400 is a great car to use the stock locations for the front stage. I am happy but as always you want more. Now that I know it sound pretty linear, and the soundstage is large and well defined, I want to try fix the minor issues with the install. I should be able to fix those problems without a hitch to gain a few there. If you have any questions or comment, feel free to ask.
Old 06-23-03, 06:54 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Cool, I have a lot of respect for people who actually go out and do this. SQ is dying out right now since people are only interested in bling then actual sound. Major props on takin the first place. Keep going, don't stop
Old 06-24-03, 06:12 AM
zxlr8
Pole Position

Have you ever competed? There are very picky with things like what knind of screws you use for your system and pictures of the install and that sort of thing. I am not in a position to spend a lot of time going to competitions. I did notice on their website that last years winner scored a 175 in finals. You get 10 points just for being a USAC member. I think I have a pretty good chance of doing well. There is another competition in Colorado springs the 28th. I would like to go but I don't have the time. You have to go to three competitions to qualify for finals. I am intrested obviously, but I think you should do something like this. Have you looked at it before? You would do very well. If you need help with tuning let me know. I could give you a few pointers he gave me. I have a lot of background in professional sound and minored in music in college. Let me know.
Old 06-24-03, 01:34 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah, I have competed with my previous setup but I wanted something more. Right now I have completely redone the whole thing including taking out the interior to sound deaden the whole car and run wires safely. I have 8 speaker setup up front (4 in kick panels and 4 in doors) and I am aming to start the seazon on July 13th (IASCA). Just wanted to make something that any judge can neatpick and not find anything wrong. I am pretty good with tuning but I also get help from Image Dynamics. Those guys have some serious skills with 30band EQs. Hoping to do finals this year. We'll see how it goes. Thx for the offer btw
Old 06-24-03, 01:53 PM
zxlr8
Pole Position

How did you do with your previous setup? I am wondering how much tougher IASCA is than USAC. I think I have it figured out how to hit the two more contests in my area in August. I have 165 pts plus the 15 champ points. I am not sure how that works, but I will be ready next time with more setup and tuning. I found out I should have gonr to the Casper competition. I would have won big time.......Oh well. I am not out there to get all the points, just to make the finals. The point is fun anyways isn't it? Holler back