Sponsored by:

Stock Stereo Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-03, 07:08 AM
amoryb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Stereo Upgrades

I have two seperate questions for the forum.

1) This has been asked several times, but I can't seem to find the answer on here. Does anyone know the service code for the stereo. The last owner gave me what he thought the code was for the stereo, but it isn't right. Of course, the dealer wants me to bring it in and charge $40 to reset it and he is nearly 1 1/2 hours away from me. I know why they had codes when the car was new, but these days who really is going to steal a cassette player from a '91 LS 400? They probably have a street value less than a roadmaster head unit. Anyway, if anyone happens to have the Lexus master reset code (not the code for your individual stereo) and instructions, won't you enlighten us all.

2) What stereo system mods seem to be the most effective when using a stock head unit. Without a doubt, new speakers are in order all around. I'm curious what has been cost effective while maintaining a stock look. When it comes to replacing the sub and amp, I'm assuming some sort of fee air sub works best? Lastly, I haven't even looked yet, but does the sub amp have RCA inputs or does it require some ingenuity to wire an aftermarket amp with the stock head unit. Lots of questions here, but a little advice would be nice.
Old 06-24-03, 08:25 AM
zxlr8
Pole Position

Well maybe I can lend you a hand. The code is diferent on every stereo. The only way to know is to hopefully look in the owners manual to see if it was written down. I personally would get rid of the stock head unit and look for a nice panasonic or alpine. The dealer will be able to get it working, but I hope they are able to tell you the code, because you are bound to get a dead battery sooner or later. I think some new speakers are a good choice, and I personally think Boston Acoustics is the way to go. How much are you willing to spend? I think a replacement freeair is ok but probably would not make you truly happy. A sealed box is best for sound quality. 1 12 would suffice. To run an amp with the stock deck, you will need high level to line level converters. You can pick them up pretty cheap. Just remember the sound won't be as defined with this setup. The line voltage result is very low.
Old 06-24-03, 08:31 AM
zxlr8
Pole Position

I forgot to tell you that I sold my stock system on ebay for $700. Yes it is not a typo!!!!!