Sponsored by:

Amplifier Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-03, 03:38 AM
JdSuperPimp69
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amplifier Issues

First of all i have been doing quite a bit of research for the past two months. Im fairly new to the sound system game, so i wanted to get as much information as possible before i bought an amplifier for my subs. I have been on countless websites and i have a few ideas of what i want to push my 2 Orion Xtr DVC 12's in a sealed box with 1.5 cubic ft. per chamber. Arc Audio, Zapco, Us Amps, Jl Audio, and PPI all have amps that i really like. The only problem is i can't decide which one to get. I heard that Arc Audio and Zapco are the same company, and i know Robert Zeff started both companies up, but im not sure which amp would be best to push my subs(Zapco Reference(AG) 1000, or Arc Audio 2500-CXL or 1500D-R). The Us Amps Usa-1000 or 1000x have great reviews and believe it or not as quite inexpensive on ebay, but im not sure if thats too much power for my application. The Jl 500/1 mono sub seems to be the best choice, being that its a 500 Watt RMS amp, and put together, my subs equal 500 watts RMS (250 each). My friend has this exact amp pushing 2 10 inch jl w3's and they sound great. Then again his box takes up almost all the trunk of his Ls (same car i have). I also like PPI's PCX-1500 and 1250 amps. Both of them look really great and have the same amount of power that i need. Im really confused here guys, and id really appreciate any feedback i can get so i can get an amp and have my bass pounding ASAP. If you all have any other suggestions im all ears.
Old 06-25-03, 10:59 AM
400DGRZ
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

http://www.carsound.com/reviews/amps/jl_5001.html

If your serious about this amp, PM me. Most of these amps are still going for between $400.00-$450.00+.
Old 06-25-03, 02:24 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

From what you have put downd Zapco, ARC and US Amps are the ones to look for. First of all you have to know that Class D would take a lot less power out of your electrical system but at the same time I don't think they sound nearly as clean and controlled as Class AB amps. Between Zapco AG and ARC 2500CXL, I would go with ARC simply because AG is the lowest Zapco's line and 2500CXL is highest ARC's line. Both companies have outstanding customer service and both are exellent quality. I don't know much about US AMPS these days apart that they produce a lot of clean power with a lot of electrical draw from your system. Forget the PPI, they are not what they used to be. I would suggest looking into Phoenix Gold amps also.
Old 06-25-03, 04:16 PM
audiogil
Rookie

Default amp

i agree with retrodrive.
Old 06-25-03, 04:46 PM
GaryDell
Rookie

I've a/b'd my D300HC and Arc 2100 with matched output. I couldn't hear the difference, nor could two other people. I say go with the 500/1 if you like it. JL's amps have some of the best features in the business...
Old 06-27-03, 12:14 PM
JdSuperPimp69
Rookie

Default So Which One

So for my enclosure and sub application, which amp would be the best sounding over all. My factory Ls sub has been pretty dissapointing, but then again, my cars a 94 so what can i expect. I really want to have some bass i can be proud of, so I want a really good amp. Which Phoenix Gold amp would be best to power my subs??? Ive been under the impression that amp power has to match sub power ( 500 watt rms subs, 500 watt rms amp). All of the other zapco amps dont have anything to match my application. Am i wrong?? If i get an amp with too much power, wont it blow my subs? I really like Arc Audios reputation, but i live in Texas so i can't find a local dealer. Zapco's not as hard to find, but the stores down here want a nutt for them. Ive also heard that online stores aren't supplying symbilinks with them, which some amps require, and that Zapco isnt selling them due to the fact that they werent purchased from authorized dealers. Could that be a problem?
Old 06-30-03, 11:32 AM
JdSuperPimp69
Rookie

Ive finally decided to go with a Us Amps 1000-DE amp. It looks like a great amp and is over 90% efficient. Ive been reading up on them and i really liked what im finding. They're not too big either, so I think this would be perfect to push my 2 12's. I found a really good deal on them too at atlanta electronics. They seem to have alot of good deals, their website is http://www.atlantaelectronics.com/Website/. Check it out if u get the chance.
Old 06-30-03, 02:02 PM
400DGRZ
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Unhappy

Guess you didn't get my PM. I sent it a couple days ago.

That's cool though.
Old 06-30-03, 02:28 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

For the record, I push my JL 500/1 as hard as I possibly can into an IDMAX12D4 single sub, at nightclub bone shaking levels, and it barely even gets warm when I check it. If I had the money to spare, I would have gone Arc, Zapco, or Brax Helix, but I'm really pleased with the JL.
Old 06-30-03, 09:24 PM
skpark70
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by engin_ear
For the record, I push my JL 500/1 as hard as I possibly can into an IDMAX12D4 single sub, at nightclub bone shaking levels, and it barely even gets warm when I check it.
I have the same setup and very pleased...
After installing 16v Eclipse HU it pushes harder and cleaner