Sponsored by:

Optimia battery sucks

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-03, 08:23 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by amati5
It's funny. I was on the other forum ......
What other forum?
Old 07-02-03, 11:40 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

there are other forums ??!!?!?!?!

dunno about that one.....
Old 07-02-03, 12:34 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The Optima Yellow Top has a GEL electrolyte, shouldn't 'spill'.
There are a flood of happy Yellow Top owners on ClubLexus. There are always going to be a few exceptions, even with a quality product. I'm surprised that Optima won't help you out, since they probably don't get many returns or problems.
I would NOT judge this product by this one experience.
Old 07-02-03, 03:18 PM
angelslex
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Yellow Top

I just bought my yellow top battery yesterday ,and replaced with the gold one from sears not that was not working but my stereo demands a lot power to stay at 14.0 to be at to 2ohms and it make alittle differsnt .so wish me luck ..p.s talk to my freind from lexus and he say most of the batterries he sees on the Lexus car is the yellow top optima.
Old 07-03-03, 09:33 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We're an Optima dealer and have had very good experiences with them, I use a D34 Blue Top Marine and i'm very happy with it. We have had some warranty claims, but nothing excessive, they are batteries after all.
Old 07-03-03, 09:54 AM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had great success with my Optima Red Top for 2 years now (sitting idle all winter in storage too whereas the conventional battery died each winter)... so I couldn't be happier with it!!!!
Old 07-03-03, 10:31 AM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Using the red top for the last 4 years...exceptional battery. But, that's my experience only...

Percy
Old 07-04-03, 02:43 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Ive used the Optima Yellow top on my durango for 3 years and just installed one in my GS. Absolutely no problems and wouldnt buy a different battery. You should speak to a supervisor and Im sure they will resolve the issue for you.
Old 07-04-03, 06:39 PM
asnatlas
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by tggoodrich
Before you judge a product based on one person's experience, I would recommend doing a search and seeing how many people are happy with theirs. I have had mine for more than 1 year and couldn't be happier.
Originally posted by engin_ear
The Optima Yellow Top has a GEL electrolyte, shouldn't 'spill'.
There are a flood of happy Yellow Top owners on ClubLexus. There are always going to be a few exceptions, even with a quality product. I'm surprised that Optima won't help you out, since they probably don't get many returns or problems.
I would NOT judge this product by this one experience.
I agree with both tggoodrich and engin_ear... EVERYTHING will have problem now and again... Have you not ever went out to a place to eat and ever not gotten bad food that didn't taste the same as the first 50 times you ate there.. Or also that is saying 100 people who have lexi have had no problem and 1 person got a lemon or have had to put some money into it because something needed fix and saying well 1 out of 100 people have had a major issue with a Lexus I don’t think I will get one now….. You need to look at the over all picture and break it down in to %'s if the odd are in your favor rather then against it then why not go with it, if that was what you were looking at.... Like some one stated about 1 Lexus out of 5 having problem vs. 1 hummer H2 having 5 problems... All comes down to not rushing into things and doing your home work….

Just my 2cents
Shawn
Old 07-04-03, 06:42 PM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Walmart brand, "Everstart" is holding up very well. hehehe
Old 07-09-03, 01:55 PM
Wide LS
Lead Lap

I've had my yellow Optima Battery for over 2 years and I've had no problem. I have a Punch 1500 for my sub woofers and a punch 500 for my mids and highs. that's over 2000 watts and the battery is still good. I guess you got the one in a million messed up ones.

Last edited by Wide LS; 07-09-03 at 01:56 PM.
Old 07-11-03, 01:25 PM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up Happy with my Optima

I've got an Optima orange top (red top w/ reversed poles) and it preforms great! It's like 960 CA and 780 CCA. I drained it twice trying to get home and to the shop when my alternator went bad and it still performs like new! Oh, they're a cell design, but I don't know if they're acid free.... maybe though.
Old 07-01-06, 07:19 PM
TexasLex
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kmn5
Just wanna say my optima battery sucks ***,
after 9 months of use, it failed!
Not only that but it is HOT to the touch on one corner. It's been failing for the last 2 months, takes a few cranks to start the car. Now the corner get gets hot SPLIT open!
I asked Optima about hteir warranty, and they said "NO" because it was cracked open.
But it cracked on it's own, it was never dropped or hit with a hammer....
Any battery can spill acid and spilled battery acid does suck. While I was pulling the NAPA battery out of GS the other day to use in my SC (doesn't work, BTW b/c of reversed terminals) the handle came loose and the battery fell on my SC and took a chunk out of the bumper cover. The battery looked OK afterwards so I put it back in the GS. I bought a new Red Top Optima yesterday b/c the GS was cranking a little slow. When I went to install it I saw that the NAPA battery had been spewing electrolyte out of one of its vent caps. Now I need to repaint that area under the hood. Moral of the story - any brand of battery can screw up and don't carry a NAPA battery by the handle.
Old 07-01-06, 11:06 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RSTSpeed
I've got an Optima orange top (red top w/ reversed poles) and it preforms great! It's like 960 CA and 780 CCA. I drained it twice trying to get home and to the shop when my alternator went bad and it still performs like new! Oh, they're a cell design, but I don't know if they're acid free.... maybe though.
It's a gel acid which is wrapped around a spiral substrate of some sort. You can mount these upside down or shoot a bullet hole through them and they won't leak. At least that's what their claim is anyways.

Percy
Old 07-03-06, 01:57 PM
kratos
Pole Position

I have had bad experiences with MANY Optimas. The Yellow top works great at first but will eventually fail within two years or NORMAL use. Their warranties suck, their support is retarded and their pricing is way too high.

The Exide Orbital Extreme is my new best friend. 18 months brand new replacement warranty no questions asked is a huge bonus. I have only had to warranty 1 but that was because my car sat for 2 months with the alarm on. My fault but they still replaced it. I would highly recommend this battery for anybody looking to upgrade.

Quick Reply: Optimia battery sucks