Viper Alarm System Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-03, 05:44 PM
phamh2000
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Viper Alarm System Problem

Hi All--
Tell me if you know what my problem can be: I had a Viper ES550 (?) installed a year ago, and recently, I seem to be picking up interference. I would just drive along, and the doors would lock and the lights would flicker much like if I were to use the remote control. Scary. Anyway, I wonder if anybody knows anything about this, and what I should/can do?
Thanks!
Old 07-20-03, 06:12 PM
legendary
Racer

who installed it for you?
do you have remote start?
I had that in my Legend and had no problems...actually, yes 550ESP

Make them check it out for you
Old 07-21-03, 01:02 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by legendary

do you have remote start?

Remote start is built into the 550 ESP, have you had the battery disconnected recently or had any problems with the programming of the remotes?
Old 07-21-03, 01:14 PM
csmooth79
Driver School Candidate

Have your shop check connections on the main brain power line, may be a short. I had a similar problem on my 550esp in my infiniti and it was the power supply. The brain may have been fried and must be reset or sent back. Dont let them tell you it wasnt them and viper has a lifetime warranty on their parts.
Old 07-21-03, 01:21 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

the lights would flicker much like if I were to use the remote control
flicker ? ... or pulse like they are supposed to do when it is armed or disarmed? which one?

the viper is a pretty good alarm overall, but such problems tend to happen after a year or so with some of the units in my experience. it could be a loose conection, but i dont believe so unless you or someone else has been doing something near the wiring. most shops crimp or solder viper systems and there should be no degredation of the connection in the controlled environment of the cabin.

If the lights flicker, it would point to a possible conection problem, but if they pulse as they should it seems the brain is wigging out and you might need to RTV it and do a warrenty swap.

A lot of times the strain of the remote start relays tend to hurt the 550 over time.
Old 07-21-03, 02:30 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had the 550ESP in a couple of cars and i've never personally had a problem. The (*non-DEI*) one that was just completed on my '99, however, has been a royal pain.
Old 07-21-03, 04:33 PM
legendary
Racer

Originally posted by Lex Luthor
Remote start is built into the 550 ESP, have you had the battery disconnected recently or had any problems with the programming of the remotes?

you know i realized that was a dumb question after I typed it since that is one of the major features, and one of the many reasons I got it. Many options you can add as well.
Old 07-21-03, 09:04 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Viper 790 (2 way alarm) and the remote says it is getting a signal even if I'm a state away from the car. The alarm is only supposed to have up to a range of like 1/2 mile at most, so why is this happening? Other than that, it works as advertised. And it's not interference b/c it's not intermittent and says its getting a signal continuously.
Just figured I'd ask while we're on the subject.

Tim
Old 07-23-03, 05:02 PM
csmooth79
Driver School Candidate

The remote on the 790 isnt actually getting a signal its looking for one, which in turn is killing the battery for no reason at all. Asked the same question because I travel and I am often farther than a 1/2 mile away from the car. If you will be away for some time do this: 1st Press all four buttons and hold until beeps, 2nd Press the red (panic) button, you should hear disarm (two chirps from the remote only), then wait and it will reset. This turns off the paging mode and will stop searching for the signal. P.S. Just dont forget to turn it back on or it wont work as a pager anymore. The same way except one chirp.
Old 07-23-03, 09:13 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by csmooth79
The remote on the 790 isnt actually getting a signal its looking for one, which in turn is killing the battery for no reason at all. Asked the same question because I travel and I am often farther than a 1/2 mile away from the car. If you will be away for some time do this: 1st Press all four buttons and hold until beeps, 2nd Press the red (panic) button, you should hear disarm (two chirps from the remote only), then wait and it will reset. This turns off the paging mode and will stop searching for the signal. P.S. Just dont forget to turn it back on or it wont work as a pager anymore. The same way except one chirp.
It seems like it should automatically do this without a signal and maybe only look for one once every now and then or something.

You know about the vibration mode and how to get the backlight on the remote to illuminate I assume? Its a pretty cool alarm, I like it. Haven't had any pages on it yet, but thats a good thing.
Any more things I should know about this thing?
Old 07-23-03, 11:06 PM
csmooth79
Driver School Candidate

Sorry, guess I should have said that too. Its the same technique, except when you have it in programming mode (pressing all four buttons) press the lock pad for vibration/beep and the unlock for the light. Beep once for on, twice for off. Also if you notice after turning the pager off it doesnt keep up with the car. i.e... the start signal will stay on until the next time you start it. haha (not too bright of an alarm anyway). Try the windows you might like it for only 140 bucks.
Old 07-24-03, 05:49 AM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Yeah, I knew about how to do those, I was making sure that you did too. I don't care about the windows thing, mine are almost always up anyway. I am going to add a couple of sensors for the trunk and maybe the hood though. Any idea how much those cost?