Sponsored by:

Subwoofer questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-03, 03:34 PM
2UX31 YM
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subwoofer questions

I currently have a 1993 ls400 with the factory Nak system and 3 jl audio w0's. I hate the weight and bulkiness of this box and setup. I would like to down grade to only two or maybe only One subwoofer. My question is would only one or two subs still be felt inside the car? and what about a bandpass box for 1 or two subs instead of the triple sub box?

Thanks Everyone
Old 07-21-03, 07:21 PM
GS450h FTL
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool subwoofer

I just had a wavebox installed in my LX - what a difference and didn't even use up much space. We couldn't find a place to put the amp so I took out the old 9in factory sub and put it where it used to be. I have one wire that comes out to the 6in high box that turns out to be very portable and have bass that is so low I am afraid the windows will pop out! What is even better is the nakamichi with the stock door speakers just sing at a level that was never there because they tried to compensate for some bass. Sound Sensations did the work, very clean, very professional. I even got a gain control put in up front so I can control the bass monster.

Last edited by GS450h FTL; 07-21-03 at 07:21 PM.
Old 07-21-03, 09:13 PM
LexLS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can get plenty of bass with ONE sub. I currently have one 10" sub in a sealed box mounted in the trunk of my LS400. Check out my gallery if you want to see.

If you actually want to hear your music then going from 3 subs to 1 sub is not going to be a "downgrade" by any means. Am I understanding you correctly....you currently have 3 subs and the Nak system, no speaker upgrades in the car right? If you don't have speaker upgrades then I'm guessing that your system is incredibly unbalanced, meaning extremely bass heavy, going to one sub would help then.
Old 07-22-03, 07:14 AM
2UX31 YM
Driver

that is correct. I have done nothing to the factory speakers. I just took out the factory 8" sub and used those wires through a line level converter into the amp. From the amp I go into 3 12" subs.

So do you think that only 1 or 2 subs in a sealed box will lighten the load of bass and weight? It is very hard to control the bass level inside the car. There is a local speaker box shop that I think ill go to and see if he will let me test fit a few boxes. Thanks everyone for your input.
Old 07-22-03, 07:29 AM
Lexis11
Lexus Champion

Going from 3 10" woofers to 1 10" woofer won't be a downgrade if you get a nice 10" woofer. Never put a bandpass box in a trunk, the actual bandpass box is meant to create a trunk enclosure and in the trunk that would create a double negative and blow your speakers after time. Googluck
Old 07-22-03, 08:20 AM
2UX31 YM
Driver

wow...thats a good thing to know. I have seen band pass in suv's and it sounds pretty good. But it makes sense abouot simulating a trunk. Ill let you all know what I do. Ill take some pics and post the results. Thanks Everyone
Old 07-22-03, 11:22 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

"Going from 3 10" woofers to 1 10" woofer won't be a downgrade if you get a nice 10" woofer. Never put a bandpass box in a trunk, the actual bandpass box is meant to create a trunk enclosure and in the trunk that would create a double negative and blow your speakers after time. "

This would be news to me! What's with the double negative?
A bandpass box has a port which is the only place that driver output actually leaves the box, in other words, the drivers are concealed within the box. The box with its internal drivers form a system that shouldn't give a flying woof about what's going on outside the box in terms of pressure, other than how it all affects the overall frequency response. I doubt that you can blow your speakers from placing the bandpass box in a trunk, other than it may not be able to disspate heat as well, so things like voice coils may be more likely to overheat.
A bandpass box is NOT MEANT TO CREATE A TRUNK ENCLOSURE. It is an enclosure that is able to accentuate a certain design-selected frequency band, at the expense of others, by virtue of its internal geometry. This has absolutely nothing to do with a car trunk. Zero. However, a car trunk can act like a bandpass enclosure (which is the reverse).
Old 07-22-03, 02:50 PM
Lexis11
Lexus Champion

Engin you seem to be a pretty knowledgeble person. I understnad what you mean but what the real problem is that with a ported bandpass box that isnt' made to spec per each speaker, the port is often the wrong size causing missfire and serious distortion of the speaker. Now all the trunk does is act like a second enclosure causing more cabin pressure on the speakerbox itself. If people made the right boix for the right speaker then they wouldn't have a problem but ultimately bandpass boxes were made for a hatchback or SUV.

But thanks for the lesson in frequency design?
Old 07-22-03, 10:35 PM
GaryDell
Rookie

Originally posted by Lexis11
But thanks for the lesson in frequency design?
Since when were frequencies designed? I can tell you're the type not even worth arguing with. All I will tell you is watch out for those 'double negatives' man, they ain't gonna give you no leeway...
Old 07-23-03, 08:58 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

"If people made the right boix for the right speaker..."

Couldn't have said it better myself.