Sponsored by:

Stock Speaker Replacement 92 SC400

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-03, 09:04 PM
MrXerox
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Stock Speaker Replacement 92 SC400

Hello gang, I hate to keep beating a dead horse here but I am looking into replacing all the speakers in my recently aquired 92 sc400. It has a NAK system in it now and I would like to keep the head unit and 12 disc changer in tact. I have went through all the messages about this but cant seem to get the answer I am looking for. I am not looking for a world class system by any means, just something that sounds good inside the car. I want to stick with the free air design for the sub and since the JL Audio is no longer available, It looks like I am stuck with the Pioneer TS-W254F? I want to replace all the door and rear speakers as well and am not against cutting the enclosures for larger speakers, however, I dont think the stock amp would sound worth a damn powering anything at 4 olms? So whats the solution? Buy two amps and feed them off the high level signal and send one to the front and rears and the other mono to the sub? What brand of speakers do you guys recommend? Please keep in mind I am not trying to go all out on this, Just need to feed my techno craving on the weekends when heading to the club
Old 07-22-03, 05:26 AM
asnatlas
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Stock Speaker Replacement 92 SC400

Originally posted by MrXerox
Hello gang, I hate to keep beating a dead horse here but I am looking into replacing all the speakers in my recently aquired 92 sc400. It has a NAK system in it now and I would like to keep the head unit and 12 disc changer in tact. I have went through all the messages about this but cant seem to get the answer I am looking for. I am not looking for a world class system by any means, just something that sounds good inside the car. I want to stick with the free air design for the sub and since the JL Audio is no longer available, It looks like I am stuck with the Pioneer TS-W254F? I want to replace all the door and rear speakers as well and am not against cutting the enclosures for larger speakers, however, I dont think the stock amp would sound worth a damn powering anything at 4 olms? So whats the solution? Buy two amps and feed them off the high level signal and send one to the front and rears and the other mono to the sub? What brand of speakers do you guys recommend? Please keep in mind I am not trying to go all out on this, Just need to feed my techno craving on the weekends when heading to the club
Well I am a fellow SC300 owner and I have a Thread on here I am updating as I go.... I my self went with an Alpine 5 ch amp and and Infinity Kappa 5.25 components all the way around... At the start I was planning on keeping my stock Headunit but now I am going with a touchscreen LCD and a PC in my car so I am doing away with my headunit... But if you want to keep your factory HU you will need "line converters" and also you will need to keep you factory amps in and put the line converters after them... The reason being from the HU to the factory amps you have only 1 (+) wire per speaker and for the line converters you need a (+) and (-) for each speaker... As far as upgrading from your stock 4" the rears are really easy to do so as for the front its a little more tricky, I had to bring out the drimal and do a little modding but was not anything to big... You may be able to still get a JL 10ib4 but you will need to look around, also remember the JL is a 100w 8ohm sub and you will need a good amp pushing out 200w at 4omhs so you can get it to push 100w at 8ohms...Also you need to figure out how much you are willing to spend and then from that point you can see what you can go with... Bostons are nice... But I didn't feel like spending $800 on just components for my car, and I went with the kappa series.... I myself have a techno crave I need to feed and going without sound in my car for alittle over 3 wks is killing me but when I am done it will be all worth it....

Let me know if you need anything.
Shawn