Sponsored by:

GS Mounting Amp on Back Seat

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-03, 04:24 PM
dizzle
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS Mounting Amp on Back Seat

How are people doing this? I was going to mount my amp against the back side of the rear seat, but there's these cross beams there, and nothing to drill into. Can anyone help me out with this? Any Suggestions?

Last edited by dizzle; 07-25-03 at 04:25 PM.
Old 07-26-03, 09:24 AM
DPGS430
Driver

Default Re: GS Mounting Amp on Back Seat

Originally posted by dizzle
How are people doing this? I was going to mount my amp against the back side of the rear seat, but there's these cross beams there, and nothing to drill into. Can anyone help me out with this? Any Suggestions?

Cut a piece of MDF or plywood about 2-3 inches larger on all sides than the amp. Cover it in trunk color matching carpet, then attach it to the cross beams securly. Then mount the amp to the board.

Have fun

Jim
Old 07-26-03, 11:24 AM
Stealther
Lead Lap

End result will be like this....

Last edited by Stealther; 07-26-03 at 11:25 AM.
Old 07-26-03, 10:34 PM
dizzle
Rookie

I wonder how that's mounted to the crossbeams. anyone have pics of the other side?
Old 07-27-03, 08:50 AM
BuyERTS
Lead Lap

Originally posted by dizzle
I wonder how that's mounted to the crossbeams. anyone have pics of the other side?
I haven't taken a look at the crossbeam support structure between the seat and the trunk, but shouldn't you be able to just pull the rear seat and put screws through the crossbeams into the MDF board?
Old 07-28-03, 06:52 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

It can be difficult, depending on what size you cut your amp rack (MDF board) to. I bolted mine thru the rear deck overhang in two places at the top, left and right, and supported it in the middle by using a nice large bolt/nut (with rubber spacers) thru the center hole of the middle support brace. Make sure whatever you do, you use large washers on both sides of any screws/bolts to de-stress each mounting point. This is necessary because as the car flexes, the holes in the MDF/plywood will enlarge, and you don't want anything pulling out later on. Liberal use of dense rubber spacers at contact points also helps to keep everything squeak-free as the car flexes.
Old 07-28-03, 08:47 AM
dizzle
Rookie

Originally posted by engin_ear
It can be difficult, depending on what size you cut your amp rack (MDF board) to. I bolted mine thru the rear deck overhang in two places at the top, left and right, and supported it in the middle by using a nice large bolt/nut (with rubber spacers) thru the center hole of the middle support brace.
thanks engin_ear, do you by chance have any pictures? the way the cross beam is, it seems difficult to mount the board on it because the middle peice sticks out more than the side pieces.
Old 07-28-03, 10:19 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

If you go to the Member Galleries section under "gallery" here on ClubLexus, search for "engin_ear" and up will come some pics of my install. They don't show the amp rack mounting, though, but may give u a bit more of an idea.
There's another picture of Dex's install at www.digitalsimple.com under 'sound better'. It has a picture of his amp rack and the braces...
You have to play it by ear - see what you have, experiment with sheets of cardboard if necessary, to see how it will fit in. Unfortunately u have to take out back seats to do this...
Old 07-28-03, 11:27 AM
dizzle
Rookie

That was exactly what I was looking for engine_ear. Thanks for the link, your setup is just how I want to do it.
Old 07-28-03, 11:54 AM
chuckisc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Open Air Subwoofer

Originally posted by Stealther
End result will be like this....
Hi Stealther,

Is the sub in this picture an open-air sub? if it is, what make/model? Price? Where can I get it? I think i blew my factory's sub in my 99' GS300.... One last question, what amp should I get to go with the sub! thanks
Old 07-28-03, 01:05 PM
Stealther
Lead Lap

Default Re: Open Air Subwoofer

Originally posted by chuckisc
Hi Stealther,

Is the sub in this picture an open-air sub? if it is, what make/model? Price? Where can I get it? I think i blew my factory's sub in my 99' GS300.... One last question, what amp should I get to go with the sub! thanks
The sub is a JL Audio 10IB4 (free-air) sub. It has been discontinued by JL Audio so it can be a little tough to locate. I might be able to get one for you if you're interested if my local dealer still has one. I just sent one to CanadaGS400 since his local dealers were sold out.

The sub is 8ohm and the max RMS rating is 100 watts, so I would recommend an amp that puts out about 200 watts RMS into a 4ohm mono load. You will have to make a mounting ring for this sub (since the stock ring is actually part of the factory sub) but that is pretty simple.

Good luck!
Old 07-30-03, 05:32 AM
adidosc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Re: GS Mounting Amp on Back Seat

Originally posted by DPGS430
Cut a piece of MDF or plywood about 2-3 inches larger on all sides than the amp. Cover it in trunk color matching carpet, then attach it to the cross beams securly. Then mount the amp to the board.

Have fun

Jim
what would be the easiest way to pick up some of that carpet?
Old 07-30-03, 09:41 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

You can get various colors of carpet from sounddomain.com or crutchfield.com.
Old 08-08-03, 08:42 AM
sxwk12
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can someone tell me an easy way to get the rear seat out? I am trying to get the factory sub out of there but can't get the seat out. I pulled, tuged, pushed (from the bottom), hit a couple of times, cursed at it for a good 10 minutes, but it's still stuck. Is there a trick to taking it out?

Sidney
Old 08-11-03, 10:56 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

No trick, it's just brute force. You'll need to pull straight up from the front of the bottom seat cushion on *each* side (at the center of each seat position) - that's where the (2) clips are that hold it in place. Each clip requires quite a bit of pressure to unsnap it, and if you don't pull where the clip is, you'll prob ruin the seat, and still not get it loose. Using a jerking motion usually helps. If you can't get it loose, try using a lever wedged deep underneath the seat, but be careful not to ruin the seat cushion.
Usually, if mine is stuck, I put one hand on either side of the clip and pull up hard.

Quick Reply: GS Mounting Amp on Back Seat