Nav Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-03, 03:43 AM
hirize
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nav Upgrade

I keep looking, but to no avail.

My nearest Lexus Dealer (Omaha) informs me that to upgrade to a newer version of the Nav DVD, my credit card will cheerfully be charged $570. In the course of the conversation, I learned that the old DVD removed from my system will no longer work in my car, but will upgrade someone else's (providing they are at a lower version.)

So my question...Where do all the old DVD's go? I don't travel much, but it's a great feature and my maps are significantly out of date.

Is there a place to hook up with other owners who have deeper pockets and have upgraded to the newest version? Or should I just buy a new atlas?
Old 08-08-03, 08:16 AM
LarryF
Rookie

Hi,

I don't have an answer to your specific question, but I can offer some advise - if possible call several different dealers to get prices on the NAV update DVD. I bought my last update about a year ago, and since there are 4 or 5 different dealers within driving distance in the Washington, DC area, I called every one of them to get their price for the DVD, and there was about a $150-200 difference in the overall prices. I ended up paying about $150 for it, but I'm not sure if the version you're referring to is the same as the one I got. I know that the first update disk that Lexus brought out was about $450-500, so perhaps the versions every-other-year are more expensive??? Wouldn't make sense, but stranger things have happened!
Old 08-10-03, 12:15 AM
Hohlraum
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dear god man.. you can get them for half that at lexus-parts.com (think thats the url) and just install it yourself!
Old 08-12-03, 02:45 AM
hirize
Driver School Candidate

Default ah-ha! That's better...

Checked the web site lexus-parts.com and discovered the following information. .

"Online Price: $250.00
Lexus is pleased to announce the availability of the CY ’03 update navigation map DVD for dealers to order beginning October 1 2003. The major change to this calendar year’s DVD is the increase in the Points of Interest (P.O.I) from approximately two million P.O.I.s to approximately five million P.O.I.s. Additionally the DVD contains programming to update the operating systems in those vehicle systems requiring it. When contacted by customers or when explaining the benefits of the DVD update to your customers remember that the Lexus system unlike some competitive systems provides nationwide map information as well as information for parts of Canada on one disk. What’s New on the DVD Expanded Points of Interest (P.O.I.) – from approximately 2 million to approximately 5 million

Product Notes: Upon installation of the new DVD the system software will automatically update. After the update the navigation system will only support the new DVD version “DATA 2003 ver.1”. The old map database DVD will no longer be able to be read by the system. The following price reflects CL discount."

I appreciate the input about shopping for the best price, but I live in Central Nebraska (and love it, thanks very much!) and there are 2 dealers in the state. One is about 150 miles west and one is about 180 miles east. And I was still going to have to install the upgrade myself, as they were just going to send the cd.

But even so, I am a whole lot more interested in the expanded maps from the current upgrade, as opposed to the increased POIs.

So I guess my question still stands. Is there any reason why I can't use someone else's old CD when they upgrade?

norma