Sponsored by:

butler audio (tube amplifier)

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-03, 12:19 PM
ISDINGDONG
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default butler audio (tube amplifier)

wanted to know if anyone using or used the tube blue amp. from butler audio?
if so, what are your opinion and experience with it? good? bad?
how do they compare to the other amps. mcintosh, brax, arc, etc...
thanks in advance with the response.
Old 08-15-03, 01:43 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Is it a particularly good idea to use tubes in a car environment? Wouldn't they be more susceptible to compromise due to vibration? I would think they wouldn't be very reliable, long-term....
Old 08-15-03, 04:21 PM
ISDINGDONG
Rookie

good point, but i think they may have taken into consideration and compensate for the design.
the tubes of today are probably better designed and made then say, in the 1950's or 60's.
Old 08-15-03, 07:15 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Butler Tubes are as reliable as any other amp in car environment. Those guys did a great job with making it a buletproof car amp. The thing is that most car tube amps (Butler Blue in particular) have distinct smooth sound to them. Some like it, and some don't. You have to listen to them and decide for yourself. Imo, comparing them to other AB amps would be wrong since they are complitely different.
Old 08-16-03, 09:14 AM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Butler tubes only use their tubes as a "front end" or for the pre amp. I do believe the tubes are powered for about 2 percent of their actual operating capability. Butler took care of the microphonics problem and vibration problem.

As for tubes vs solid state, it all depends on what your tastes are. Some like the warm "fuzzy feel" of tubes while others will go for less distorted presentation of solid state. Give them both a listen if possible and decide from there.

Percy
Old 08-16-03, 11:27 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

Butler isn't using the hybrid glass tube's right? I thought every car maufacturer used ceramic these day's. ceramic is as bulletproof as any transistor in vibration comparison.
Old 08-21-03, 09:26 PM
Toysrme
Lead Lap

Cool

Like what Percy said, try them both.

Like looks, sound is unique to every individual. Quality wise, solid state will always be superior, but some people like the artifacts that a tube presents. (Really the entire thing was nothing more than a gimmick to tag extra cost to amps...)

Want me to put it in another example??? Ever heard a Bose radio? The "Big symphony concert hall in a small space" one? To some people it's pleasing... To Audiophillies it's the worst sound system on the planet. Why? Because it dose nothing but distort the actual sound by bending the waves, and adding tons of artifacts.

Like he sid... Personal preferance.
Old 08-21-03, 10:07 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

I had the sheer pleasure of hearing one of the original TUBEDRIVER amps pushing a set of USD compression drivers when the amps were still in the newbie stages back in the day. Since tone means alot to me, i found it to be one of the most pleasing setups around for the car environment.

It was a Jennifer Warnes track not unlike the one used in the IASCA finals in Memphis, TN in '93, playing on twin compression drivers hidden under the dash and two 8 inch full range in the floors. the rear was brought up with 2 concert style ribbed surround ten inchers. The system didn't have a chance at bump, and what made it so unique was that it was around the time Techmaster P.E.B. and Bass Mechanics ruled the car scene. Personally it was as impressed with it as i was the grand national car. Can't remember the guy's name to save my life though.
Old 08-25-03, 12:55 PM
3GSLEX
Driver School Candidate

Butler uses the tubes we are all used to seeing..glass not ceramic..cant show off the cool tube glow if u cant see the glow ....was it Harry Kimura's car your talking about? one of the SpeakerWorks creations?

Percy..what's going on man?...i was on rec.audio.car for a few years but havent been back in awhile....

Last edited by 3GSLEX; 08-25-03 at 12:58 PM.
Old 08-25-03, 03:58 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

I thought it was a speakerworks car, but man... that's been 10 years. I know it was using waveguide compression drivers.
Old 08-26-03, 07:34 AM
3GSLEX
Driver School Candidate

yeah its been a long time since those cars have been around...if u go here:

http://www.usdaudio.com/sw/cars/

u can see if any of those cars is the one u saw....

Last edited by 3GSLEX; 08-26-03 at 07:34 AM.
Old 08-30-03, 09:19 PM
mjames08
Pole Position

I deal with a lot of professional audio equipment in a recording environment, and will tell you that most consumer level 'tube' audio gear is just a ploy to get you to buy something. Sure, they use a tube, but what kind of tube is it? Is it some tube made in china? I've never heard this amp or any tube car audio stuff, so I'm not speaking from car audio experience.