Sponsored by:

Android Auto Coming to Lexus -- A Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-19, 11:58 AM
2019ES350
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Question Android Auto Coming to Lexus -- A Question

It has been announced that a number of 2020 Lexus models will be compatible with Android Auto. Does anyone know whether software updates will make any older models equally compatible with Android Auto?

Thanks in advance for sharing anything you know about this.
Old 09-14-19, 02:33 PM
osea23
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently purchased my 2020 NX in August so I'm pretty disappointed to read that only 2020 NX's produced after October 2019 will have Android Auto. I emailed Lexus to see if they will have firmware updates for cars produced before October 2019 to have Android Auto added in, but the chances seem low considering how slow and unwilling Lexus is in terms of infotainment tech. I think the best we can do now is to complain to our service advisors or local dealerships and give Lexus corporate our feedback in hopes that they'll have a firmware update for older models with the Gen 10 infotainment system.
Old 09-14-19, 03:39 PM
2019ES350
Rookie

Default Received an Answer from Lexus

Turns out I was able to speak with a knowledgeable person at Lexus about the "coming of Android Auto" to ES and a number of other Lexus cars. Unfortunately, it is a hardware limitation (not software) that will make it impossible to add Android Auto to 2019 and older Lexus cars. A replacement of the "head" would cost several thousand dollars, and that is what would be needed. So, my question was answered, but not with the answer I had hoped to hear.

What is still unclear to me is exactly how advantageous it would to have Android Auto on a Lexus ES 350 if the car has Lexus navigation and other key features.
Old 09-14-19, 04:36 PM
osea23
Driver School Candidate

Well that's disappointing to hear...looks like we'll have to resort to the aftermarket to get Android Auto on our cars then. When I take my vehicle in for the 10,000 mile service, I'm gonna ask my service advisor how much it'll be to install the newer head unit onto my car. Might be worth it depending on what the final installation cost is going to be.
Old 09-15-19, 04:12 PM
2019ES350
Rookie

Exclamation

It's hard to know what or whom to believe. Note this information published on the Lexus "ownership" website in Spain (https://www.lexusauto.es/ownership/a...d-auto/#recall)

In case you're not comfortable reading Spanish, I'll translate it into English below.

VEHÍCULOS COMPATIBLES CON APPLE CAR PLAY™ Y ANDROID AUTO™

Los modelos compatibles con la instalación de Apple CarPlay™ y Android Auto™ en su Centro Autorizado Lexus son:

- UX (versión MY19 y MY20) producidos a partir de Marzo de 2019
- NX (versión MY18, MY19 y MY20) producidos a partir de Septiembre de 2017
- ES (versión MY19 y MY20) producidos a partir de Octubre de 2018

El resto de modelos Lexus no son compatibles con la instalación de Apple CarPlay™ y Android Auto™.

English translation:

VEHICULES COMPATIBLE WITH APPLE CAR PLAY™ AND ANDROID AUTO™

Models compatible with installation of Apple CarPlay™ and Android Auto™ at your Authorized Lexus Center are:

- UX (version MY19 y MY20) produced beginning in March 2019
- NX (version MY18, MY19 and MY20) produced beginning in September 2017
- ES (version MY19 and MY20) produced beginning in October 2018

The rest of the Lexus models are not compatible with the installation of Apple CarPlay™ and Android Auto™.

--------------------It would be great if the above is true. If so, an owner of one of the cars/model years/production dates listed above can apparently take the car to an Authorized Lexus Center for a free installation of Apple CarPlay or Android Auto. In another part of Spain web page they say at your next maintenance the technician will install ACP or AA free of charge. All of the above sounds too good to be true. I'm going to run this by Lexus headquarters tomorrow and see what they have to say. I'll post their response here.
Old 09-17-19, 11:33 PM
osea23
Driver School Candidate

I got an official reply from Lexus Customer Service that there won't be a guaranteed retro-active update for our NX's to get AA. Our only hope for native AA on these pre-October 2019 build date cars is to just have more and more people give feedback to Lexus and pray they release one. It's also strange how the Spanish Lexus NX's get AA but US ones do not. Perhaps Toyota decided to use different head units for the Spain and US cars...something that I can believe since I've heard Toyota uses different parts on the same model of cars being sold in different markets.
Old 09-17-19, 11:54 PM
2019ES350
Rookie

Default Response from Lexus Guest Experience Center

When I asked about any possibility of getting Android Auto on a 2019 or 2020 ES 350 models, here what they wrote back;

Thank you for contacting Lexus about the possibility of having Android Auto.

We can certainly understand wanting Android Auto in your a newly purchased vehicle, and appreciate the opportunity to provide an answer to your inquiry.

At this time, the following 2020 models will be equipped with Android Auto capabilities:

• 2020 RX
• 2020 RC
• 2020 UX
• Select 2020 ES and NX (Available on select vehicles from October 2019 production)

Although we cannot promise that a retro-active update will become available for your model, please know Lexus strives to offer products and services that match our customers' diverse driving needs, as we continuously evaluate emerging technologies for use in our vehicles. To keep up-to-date on the most recent information, please visit our Android Auto FAQs.
Old 09-27-19, 12:36 PM
IcedCortad
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some Lexus models in Australia have also been told that they will be receiving Android Auto, namely the UX

https://www.caradvice.com.au/769831/...le-carplay-q4/
Old 09-27-19, 01:26 PM
2019ES350
Rookie

Exclamation

What is particularly interesting about the announcement concerning certain models in Australia is the mention of a dealer upgrade program to make Apple CarPlay and Android Auto available to existing owners. Earlier information I had been given was that retrofitting models not factory-equipped for ACP and AA would involve very costly hardware replacement, implying that it would be impractical. Sounds like that may not be the case, and that is encouraging.

“The facelifted RX will be the first Lexus in Australia to gain Apple CarPlay and Android Auto technology as standard in the fourth quarter of 2019. We are finalising plans for the introduction of this technology to other Lexus models by year’s end – this includes a dealer upgrade program for existing UX owners,” a Lexus spokesperson told CarAdvice.

Going by the spokesperson’s comments, current owners of the UX will also be able to upgrade their existing infotainment systems to facilitate Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, though whether this will be carried out as a free upgrade or a cost option is yet to be confirmed at this stage.
Old 11-10-19, 12:11 AM
2019ES350
Rookie

Exclamation Promising News from Australia - Android Auto for 2019 ES 350

https://www.caradvice.com.au/806503/...-android-auto/

This sounds VERY promising for owners of 2019 Lexus ES 350 vehicles.

Surely the USA will be next if Lexus Australia can provide an Android Auto solution for these cars.