Sponsored by:

sub, amp, wiring question

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-04, 07:32 PM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heey Nice Work Man,

Are you going to repeat the process for the other side or is one sub enough? Did you do all the work yourself?

Great Photos! Nice carpeting job.
Old 01-17-04, 02:09 PM
Taka
Lexus Test Driver

Thx, I wasn't sure if this is good job since it is my first custom box with no knowledge
I'm satisfied with the bass now so I wouldn't repeat the process for the other side. But I'm becoming more greedy and I kinda feel I should have done 12" instead of 10" sub.

I got great help from PERRYinLA online, and my gf and I worked on together. !!

Originally posted by Darius2004
Heey Nice Work Man,

Are you going to repeat the process for the other side or is one sub enough? Did you do all the work yourself?

Great Photos! Nice carpeting job.
Old 01-18-04, 11:38 AM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Taka
Thx, I wasn't sure if this is good job since it is my first custom box with no knowledge
I'm satisfied with the bass now so I wouldn't repeat the process for the other side. But I'm becoming more greedy and I kinda feel I should have done 12" instead of 10" sub.

I got great help from PERRYinLA online, and my gf and I worked on together. !!
Well you, Perry, and your GF did and EXCELLENT jon! Nice fiberglass work. I think I saw the details on CarDomain before you posted here on CL It shouldn't be too hard to expand the hole and extra 1.5", right?

I know how you feel about the bass-greed. I have two 10's right now (XTANT) and I keep thinking...."Hmm, I bet Infinity Perfect 12's would sound SO much better; hit SO much harder. "
Old 01-19-04, 08:30 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

It took a while for me to see the new posts because, for the past month or so, I no longer get emails when threads I've participated in get new posts. I just noticed the new posts now- Taka, that's a great pic of your new enclosure! Be sure to tell a moderator to rename this thread to something like "SC4 fiberglass subwoofer and amp project" so everyone can check it out!

The way that I put my similar box together (see link below) allows me to remove the front baffle board at any time to replace it, or enlarge the hole. My 12" Infinity Perfect was a tight fit- too far forward, and the large magnet structure will hit the vertical brace, too far towards the rear and you run out of depth, since that area curves inward. But there is a "sweet spot" where it will fit if you want to upgrade to a 12" someday.

I placed a grille over my speaker because I often have stuff in my trunk that might shift on turns and hit the speaker cone. There are lots of nice grilles out there that will give it some protection yet still allow you to show it off. But if you know your trunk will usually be empty, there's no harm in leaving it as is.

As for the road noise caused by the missing stock woofer- you have a few options:

1) Always keep that volume control past 12 o'clock, so that the road noise doesn't stand a chance.
2) Use lots of RAAMMat/Dynomat/BrownBread/etc all over the trunk - that helps to muffle (but not eliminate) the extra road noise and also helps control any potential rattling.
3) Keep the stock woofer in place, either still wired to an amp or disconnected and used as a passive radiator. I experimented both ways, and while I thought at times it sounded (and felt) better than stock, it still was not as good as leaving the hole open to allow the Perfect woofer to fill the passenger cabin. Also, when both are wired, the sound waves from both drivers collide, not always to good effect.
4) Plop a thick carpet over the rear deck when the stereo is off and you want it quiet

(Well, I didn't say they'd all be practical options!)

Last edited by PERRYinLA; 01-20-04 at 12:45 AM.
Old 05-21-04, 12:53 AM
babehboi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're doing a nice job. Makes me want to install subwoofers now. How much could I pay you to do my car?

Will