Sponsored by:

Speaker advice for ML audio

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-19, 12:16 PM
PlPete
Driver

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Speaker advice for ML audio

I'll make the long story short.....purchased a nice GS350 with Mark Levinson out of state from a non-Lexus dealership. Everything checked out great but a few weeks later I realized something was off with audio output when moving the sound stage around. Came to find out the car is missing the 6.5" speakers in the front doors and the 3.5" in the dash. The center channel as well as everything else is there. The wiring around the Amp is also all cut up and reconnected but everything seems to work.

The dealer was not helpful at all and at this point all I can do it give them a ****ty review on line and get this fixed. I'm also getting the VLine 2 so I'd like to get this fixed while at it. Getting stock ML speakers is a no go as getting these 4 speaker will cost way over $500 and probably closer to $700. With that in mind, I'm trying to figure out what speaker set up to get that would play nice and produce good quality sound when paired with the ML speakers. I'm trying to keep things at about $250 for the 2 door speakers and 2 dash speakers. I believe the ML amp has a built in cross over so I could do 2 woofers and 2 tweeters. Brands that I'm looking at are either the Focal Integration Series or something similar from Morel. Are there any other brands or specific sets anyone would suggest? I'd appreciate all feedback. So much for keeping this short......
Old 01-17-20, 01:30 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I think Morel is incredible. I've used Focal before, but if it was my choice I'd use Morel. Not cheap though!

Don't laugh, but if you're looking to save some money, check out the speakers from Dayton Audio on Parts Express. Great price/performance.

What you need to do though is figure out what's been removed from the system that was in there. The previous owner obviously took the speakers with him, but what else did he take? All he needed to do was make sure the audio system played some sort of sound when he got rid of the car. You'll need to figure out whether the crossovers are there, and what speaker impedances you'll need.