Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

If you have installed an aftermarket GPS in your car, please read........

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-03, 05:18 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 305 Likes on 184 Posts
Default If you have installed an aftermarket GPS in your car, please read........

I am considering very seriously installing an after market GPS in my 99 GS400.

If you have installed one, please write about your experiences, pitfalls, prices etc. etc.

I am looking for the pros and cons to your install. If you have investigated this but are still sitting on the fence, your opinion would also be valuable.

I am personally leaning towards the Alpine or Pioneer touch screen unit (don't remember the model numbers), but the cost is fairly steep.

Thanks!
Old 08-29-03, 06:21 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I have the Pioneer Avic90 Navi and I love it. It has 2 million POI's (points of interest) and it uses 1 disc for the entire Untied States. However, to my knowledge, Pioneer does not offer a touch screen. Alpine does I think... also, the new Alpine has like 10 million POI's. The downfall to my Pioneer navi is that you have to use a remote which can become a headache when first learning all the screens. I think I paid like $1500 for mine. Here's a pic of my Navi wired to a Pioneer 8' screen.
Attached Thumbnails If you have installed an aftermarket GPS in your car, please read........-ken-s-car-055-r.jpg  

Last edited by LXOGOOD; 09-01-03 at 04:20 PM.
Old 08-29-03, 08:48 PM
LS007
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The new Pioneer AVIC-80 navigation system can use touch screen with a compatible Pioneer head unit like the AVH-P6500DVD, AVH-P7500DVD. A seperate touch screen is available model AVD-W6210, but it's only 6.5" inches - not the 8" AVD-W8000 you have installed and shown above.

The AVIC-9 or AVIC-90 navigation systems can be made touch screen enabled. See www.pioneerelectronics.com.
Old 08-30-03, 08:53 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally posted by LXOGOOD
Well I have the Pioneer Avic90 Navi and I love it. It has 2 million POI's (points of interest) and it uses 1 disc for the entire Untied States. However, to my knowledge, Pioneer does not offer a touch screen. Alpine does... also, the new Alpine has like 10 million POI's. The downfall to my Pioneer navi is that you have to use a remote which can become a headache when first learning all the screens. I think I paid like $1500 for mine. Here's a pic of my Navi wired to a Pioneer 8' screen.
Thanks for the info!!

Couple of questions:
Why do you have two screens? (the one in the dash and what looks like the navi screen attached to the roof?

Is it not possible just to have one screen in the dash that will serve as the navi screen?

What other components are required:
1. GPS system
2. navi screen

anything else?

How much more complicated does it make the install above if I wanted to add monitors to the headrests and a dvd player?

Thanks for your time!
Old 08-30-03, 08:54 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally posted by VideoNavi
The new Pioneer AVIC-80 navigation system can use touch screen with a compatible Pioneer head unit like the AVH-P6500DVD, AVH-P7500DVD. A seperate touch screen is available model AVD-W6210, but it's only 6.5" inches - not the 8" AVD-W8000 you have installed and shown above.

The AVIC-9 or AVIC-90 navigation systems can be made touch screen enabled. See www.pioneerelectronics.com.
Please explain a little more about the components that are required to make this mod. I know nothing about this and would really appreciate as much detail as you can provide.

Thanks!
Old 08-30-03, 10:21 AM
LS007
Lead Lap

Pioneer has a couple of packages with everything you need. The package NAV-SYS910DVD has a head unit DVD player with touch screen and navigation system. The package NAV-SYS610T has a 6.5" stand alone touch screen monitor and navigation system. This package would be used if you want to keep your existing stereo and just add navigation system. You could even mount this monitor in the rear view mirror location, like LXOGOOD did and add a backup camera.

see www.pioneerelectronics.com for full product details.

Last edited by LS007; 08-30-03 at 10:22 AM.
Old 08-30-03, 10:34 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Pioneer has a couple of packages with everything you need. The package NAV-SYS910DVD has a head unit DVD player with touch screen and navigation system. The package NAV-SYS610T has a 6.5" stand alone touch screen monitor and navigation system. This package would be used if you want to keep your existing stereo and just add navigation system. You could even mount this monitor in the rear view mirror location, like LXOGOOD did and add a backup camera.

see www.pioneerelectronics.com for full product details.
I checked the Canadian version of the site above as I live in Canada and this is what I found
http://legacy.pioneerelectronics.com...5,2797,00.html

The AVIC-80DVD
8.5GB Dual Layer DVD Navigation System
M.S.R.P. CDN $2,799.00

I am guessing this system requires the screen as well, correct? How would this be installed in the car? I specifically mean, does the stereo and ventilation controls have to be modified in some fashion? I cannot figure out how this unit would be integrated into the current dash.
Old 08-31-03, 09:51 AM
LS007
Lead Lap

It all depends if you want to replace your existing stereo with a in-dash DVD player with motorized flip up screen. This would require getting some sort of single DIN radio dash mounting kit (depending on the model of Lexus you have). Since the screen flips up it might temporarly block your AC controls, but most flip up screens are easy to flip down part way or all the way to access controls. Pioneer in dash stereo models with touch screen are AVH-P6500DVD and AVH-P7500DVD.

If your not interested in replacing your stereo, use a touch screen monitor for navigation. It could be mounted directly to your dash, visor or even rear view mirror (like LXOGOOD did). Since the monitor will have multiple audio/video inputs you could add an external DVD, VCR, TV tuner or a backup camera. Pioneer's touch screen monitor for AVIC-80 navigation system is the AVD-W6210.

Livining in Canada you should check the coverage are any navigation system is going to provide. For example many only provide only Tronto and BC map coverage in Canada. This should be your #1 concern for selecting a navigation system.
Old 08-31-03, 01:28 PM
Guru
Lead Lap

I'm installing mine soon. I'm also going Pioneer with the AVH-P7500DVD for the head unit which gives you a 7 inch screen along with the AVIC-80 navigation. It is all touch screen or voice activated. The Alpine screen is a bit better and their navigation is probably the best out there but it is more expensive and not touch screen which made the fact that I find their controls cumbersome to use a no go for me. The Alpine also has rear camera capability and of course XM radio which I'm dying for.
Old 09-01-03, 06:50 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

It all depends if you want to replace your existing stereo with a in-dash DVD player with motorized flip up screen. This would require getting some sort of single DIN radio dash mounting kit (depending on the model of Lexus you have). Since the screen flips up it might temporarly block your AC controls, but most flip up screens are easy to flip down part way or all the way to access controls. Pioneer in dash stereo models with touch screen are AVH-P6500DVD and AVH-P7500DVD.

If your not interested in replacing your stereo, use a touch screen monitor for navigation. It could be mounted directly to your dash, visor or even rear view mirror (like LXOGOOD did). Since the monitor will have multiple audio/video inputs you could add an external DVD, VCR, TV tuner or a backup camera. Pioneer's touch screen monitor for AVIC-80 navigation system is the AVD-W6210.

Livining in Canada you should check the coverage are any navigation system is going to provide. For example many only provide only Tronto and BC map coverage in Canada. This should be your #1 concern for selecting a navigation system.
I would definitely want to replace the existing stereo so that the install is cleaner. Or perhaps mount the gps unit in the trunk and just replace the rear view mirror with the navigation screen. I guess in an install like that I would need to also install a rear view camera so that I can use the navigation monitor as a rear view mirror as well?

What kind of gps do you have in your car? Is it the OEM version? If not, please post pics of yours. Thanks!

Last edited by Hameed; 09-01-03 at 06:54 AM.
Old 09-01-03, 06:51 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally posted by Guru
I'm installing mine soon. I'm also going Pioneer with the AVH-P7500DVD for the head unit which gives you a 7 inch screen along with the AVIC-80 navigation. It is all touch screen or voice activated. The Alpine screen is a bit better and their navigation is probably the best out there but it is more expensive and not touch screen which made the fact that I find their controls cumbersome to use a no go for me. The Alpine also has rear camera capability and of course XM radio which I'm dying for.
Please post up pics and your experience once you have had yours installed. I would love to see pics of other members navi systems as well.

Last edited by Hameed; 09-01-03 at 06:52 AM.
Old 09-01-03, 01:56 PM
LS007
Lead Lap

What kind of gps do you have in your car?
I have 4 seperate navigation systems. My Honda Odyssey van has the factory OEM system that is made by Alpine for Honda. My RV has a Alpine NVE852N system and the interface/usability is not as nice as the Honda. The Alpine doesn't have touch screen and a few selected functions are not avialable, like sorting by distance after selecting POI's. Of course my Lexus has the factory OEM system and it's a real love hate relationship. I love it when it gets me places, but I hate it when the POI I'm looking for is not in the database and that is way to often (I'm looking forward to the next update). When traveling in a rental car, I use CoPilot 2003 by TraveRoute on my notebook.

The closest you can come to a Lexus OEM navigtaion (by Denso Electronics) with a after market system is Kenwood's navigation with touch screen (probably also made by Denso).

Last edited by LS007; 09-01-03 at 03:10 PM.
Old 09-01-03, 04:23 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hameed: My buddy just bought a Kenwod Navi 2 days ago. As soon as he gets it installed, I will let you know what his opinions are about it and I will compare his to mine. He also has the Kenwood touch screen TV/DVD.