Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

image dynamics or w7's

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-03, 11:48 AM
kidcapp
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I am going with the idmax 12's I looked around online everywhere and I seen a few bad reviews on w7's and all the reviews for the idmax where good ones like you said retrodrive idmax have a better sound quality I checked with http://www.sounddomain.com they will sell me the idmax for $349.95 each thanks for all your help retrodrive

Last edited by kidcapp; 09-01-03 at 11:50 AM.
Old 09-02-03, 11:38 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree completely with Retrodrive. I'll add that your decision should depend on what type of music you listen to most: if you are a rap/hip-hop SPL guy who likes boom and rockin the neighborhood in addition to your car's body panels, then by all means go with the W7's. If you listen to rock, jazz, dance/electronica, or other stuff that requires more sound quality, go with the IDMAXes. Either way you'll be doing fine. I've heard massive bass from multiple W7's, so much that I wanted to run out of the car, but never the sound quality of the IDMAX. The IDMAX is unbeatable on kick drums for rock.
Anyone that I've seen with one or more W7's claims that the sound quality is unbeatable, but I beg to differ, especially when all they're listening to is hip-hop....
Old 09-02-03, 11:45 AM
kidcapp
Lead Lap

i listen to rap/hiphop i plan on using 4 imax 12's everyone tells me they are the best i have heard that w7's can't compare to the idmax i am going to run them with two rockford fosgate 1500bd amps
Old 09-02-03, 12:52 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

If you are running 3 or more subs, I don't think it matters whether you run W7's or IDMAX - as far as SPL level is concerned, there's just more than enough, unless you're trying to set SPL records. IDs should sound better, yes.
Old 09-02-03, 01:13 PM
audiogil
Rookie

Default subs

whoah! hold on a second!
how do you plan on keeping the pressure controlled? also, what type of enclosure are you using?
the selection of subs you chose are excellent. my bigger concern is rattle being louder than the bass.you might want to consider designing an enclosure that fires the pressure "inside" the vehicle. trust me, rattles from 4 12" subs are not easy to remove even with dynamat. good luck!
Old 09-02-03, 01:27 PM
kidcapp
Lead Lap

a sealed enclosure i have my whole trunk lined with dynamat extream
Old 09-02-03, 02:19 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

kidcapp, what audiogil is saying is that even if you have a sealed enclosure, unless it it ducted so that it only fires into the cabin, you'll be dealing with major pressure in the trunk space, and you'll have to deal with the major rattles that go with it.
Old 09-02-03, 02:26 PM
kidcapp
Lead Lap

i understand no matter what system you have you will have some rattling i will keep it in mind though i will try to find a way to minimize the rattling the best i can thanks for all your input guys
Old 09-02-03, 02:29 PM
sirsomo
Pole Position

FWIW I run 2 IDMAXs in my GS. I chose them over the W7s because they were a much better deal imo. I have 1000w rms going to each sub (USAmps), and they are definately loud enough for the street. I have them in a small sealed enclosure firing upward and there definately some rattles, but I fixed a lot of them. I dont know how many amps those RF draw, but you will probably need to upgrade your electrical system depending on what else you add. I upgraded my alternator and added a battery. Good luck.
Old 09-02-03, 03:14 PM
kidcapp
Lead Lap

i have a 5 fared cap
Old 09-02-03, 03:51 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

With that many subs you would need an alternator, extra battery or a bunch of batcaps. Adding so much power is not as easy as some may think.
Old 09-02-03, 05:40 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Electrical:
That cap won't really do much. You'll probably have to upgrade the alternator, get a good deep cycle battery (or 2) and upgrade the Magic 3 (add at least 4 gauge power wire from the engine to ground, ground to -battery, and from alternator to + battery.)

Rattles:
Lining your trunk with dynamat is a good start. Once you get that system in there, you'll pretty much want to dynamat the entire car with that much SPL.

IDMAX v. W7
Whether the IDMAX has better SQ is debatable. However, the W7's combination of SPL and SQ, (SQL) is better than the IDMAX. I have a 12W7 and I can't crank it up all the way do to the fear that something will literally crack/explode.

Good Luck.
Old 09-02-03, 05:46 PM
GaryDell
Rookie

In case my opinion matters, I would put my money on the fact that if you had a W7/MAX in your trunk and someone replaced it with the other (without your knowing), you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. SPL gain of the W7 due to displacement should be marginal. I would go with the IDMAX simply due to price.

And because no one ever seems to ask the person when the query about installing uber systems like yourself, what speakers do you plan on actually using to keep up with this setup? Obviously you aren't competing as you have opted for the sealed enclosure. Even if you go with a pair of 8's per door and HLCD's, you're going to have a tough time getting a frequency response that's even moderately flat without some serious EQing. Again, in case my opinion matters, I would go with ONE sub, ~600watts, and spend the rest of that money burning a hole in your pocket on components/power/install. But then again, I enjoy hearing the lyrics to my music, so YMMV...
Old 09-02-03, 06:02 PM
kidcapp
Lead Lap

I have 1/0 gauge power wire from the engine to trunk and 1/0 gauge ground and I have a yellow top deep cycle battery I have a Rockford fosgate power bd1500 and power 800.4 three Rockford fosgate hx2's alumpro 5 farad cap Rockford Fosgate OEQ-2 four MB Quart QSD 216 6.5 Components in there now and I don't have any problem I see how much current a second 1500bd will draw I looked on the rockford fosgate website and here are the spec's for two 1500bd's
MODEL (2) 1500bd

Operational Voltage Range (DC Volts) 10 – 15.5

Minimum Speaker Impedance 4. (Ohms)

Typical Current Draw (Music) (Amps) 180A

Typical Current Draw (Sine Waves) (Amps) 280A

Recommended Alternator Size

(Street Driven Car) (Amps) 200A

Recommended Alternator Size

(Competition Car) (Amps) 200A

Recommended Power & Ground Wire Size

(AWG – American Wire Gauge) 1/0 Gauge

Recommended Capacitor Size 4 Farad

I should be ok
Old 09-02-03, 06:03 PM
LS400
Club Lexus Editor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by engin_ear
I agree completely with Retrodrive. I'll add that your decision should depend on what type of music you listen to most: if you are a rap/hip-hop SPL guy who likes boom and rockin the neighborhood in addition to your car's body panels, then by all means go with the W7's. If you listen to rock, jazz, dance/electronica, or other stuff that requires more sound quality, go with the IDMAXes. Either way you'll be doing fine. I've heard massive bass from multiple W7's, so much that I wanted to run out of the car, but never the sound quality of the IDMAX. The IDMAX is unbeatable on kick drums for rock.
Anyone that I've seen with one or more W7's claims that the sound quality is unbeatable, but I beg to differ, especially when all they're listening to is hip-hop....
Just to clear things up.

The daily-driving "rocking the neighborhood" type of music is far from SPL. Those are two entirely separate ballparks. I agree that they both are about getting loud, but the daily-booming is about sounding loud to the human ear (lower frequencies) while SPL is scoring high on the meters (higher frequencies). They can still both make you deaf though.

Engin_ear is correct about the IDMAX topping over the W7 in quality. Since you're a rap head like me, I would probably choose the W7 in this case. But the IDMAX will not disappoint if you decide to go with that route. Best way to choose, flip a coin. J/K.

Quick Reply: image dynamics or w7's