Sponsored by:

Need suggestions on an amp

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-03, 01:36 PM
amy011079
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need suggestions on an amp

OK I just bought a cd receiver that requires an amp to power it. which is fine with me i would rather have an external amp due to over heating and just simple preferance. Now the question is, WHAT KIND OF AMP TO GO WITH, AND HOW MUCH POWER SHOULD I LOOK FOR!!! ARGH!! It's been a long time since I have had ANY car audio stuff so I am really rusty at this. Anyway, I really don't wanna spend a lot of money on a measly amp that is just going to push my cd player and I don't wanna get one that could power a 8 speaker system. I just want one that could push my little cd player so I can be happy. Any help will be wonderful. Thanks guys.

Last edited by amy011079; 09-02-03 at 01:37 PM.
Old 09-02-03, 02:39 PM
sirsomo
Pole Position

Your post is kind of confusing, but I will see if I can help. Most cd players have a built in amp that powers your speakers. I dont think the cd player itself needs the amp. I dont know much about the IS, do you know if you have a seperate factory amp? factory subwoofer? If you have an amp from the factory you can tie into it, if not, you can get a 4 channel amp or 5/6 channel amp (factory sub) with about 50w a channel. Sorry if Im confusing, good luck.
Old 09-02-03, 02:47 PM
amy011079
Lexus Test Driver

ok well actually i believe i do have a factory amp although i really haven't seen it with my own two eyes. no sub/subs though. now as far as the receiver that i bought, it requires an amp because it has a motorized fold down face, and tray. instead of using power from an internal amp (which it does not have) it needs and external one to power it.
Old 09-02-03, 05:58 PM
GaryDell
Rookie

So this is just to power the stock speakers? If so, make sure you know the impedence of the speakers before you purchase an amp, as I know some stock drivers can be as low as 1ohm. If they are for aftermarket drivers, how much power do you need. If 75x2 would suffice, I would recommend the Autotek SS200.2.

http://www.mmxpress.com/autotek/autotek_amplifiers.html
Old 09-03-03, 06:04 AM
sirsomo
Pole Position

Do you have the model number? Im pretty sure your head unit gets its power from the car, I dont see why an amp would be needed. You should have a 12volt wire and remote turn-on wire to tap into. Did someone tell you that you needed an amp?
Old 09-03-03, 07:12 AM
GaryDell
Rookie

I believe she is saying that she purchased an aftermarket HU that doesn't have a built in amplifier. I know Alpine among others makes HU's sans amp.
Old 09-03-03, 07:20 AM
amy011079
Lexus Test Driver

yes the headunit i purchased DOES NOT have a built in amp here are the specs of the unit.

Key Features:
motorized, fold-out face
high-resolution TFT color display
SSIR-EXA tuner
XM Satellite Radio controls (XM subscription, optional Sony XM tuner, and antenna required to receive the satellite radio signal) — service is available only in the lower 48 states, not available in Alaska, Hawaii, or U.S. territories
front/rear/subwoofer preamp outputs
high-pass/low-pass filters
plays MP3 files on CD-R and CD-RW, plus CDs, CD-Rs, CD-RWs
auxiliary input
CD/MD changer controls
Memory Stick slot plays ATRAC3 files on MagicGate Memory Stick and transfers images via Memory Stick for display on TFT screen
EQ7 with 7 preset EQ curves and a 7-band equalizer for fine-tuning
Dynamic Soundstage Organizer (raises and widens speaker locations for improved soundstaging)
wireless remote
no internal amp — external amp(s) required
CD frequency response 10-20,000 Hz
CD signal-to-noise ratio 95 dB
FM sensitivity 8 dBf
1-year warranty

General :
Chassis Size Code IEJ
RMS Power Output Amp Required
Peak Output N/A
RMS Power Bandwidth N/A
Preamp Voltage 2.0 volts
Video Control No
Preamp Outputs 3 pair
Subwoofer Preamp Outputs Yes
AUX Input Rear
Display Color 32,000 colors
Key Button Color Blue
EQ Bands 7
Sound Shaping Type EQ7, DSO
Wireless Remote Yes
Wired Remote No
Changer Control Yes
Security None
Parts Warranty 1 Year
Labor Warranty 1 Year
Tuner
Tuner Type SSIR-EXA
FM Sensitivity 8 dBf
FM Presets 18
AM Presets 12
European Tuning No
Seek/Scan Seek
Radio Data System No
Satellite Radio Ready XM
CD
CD Frequency Response 10-20kHz
CD Signal-to-Noise 95 dB
Anti-shock Memory Yes
CD Text Yes
CD-R Playback Yes
CD-RW Playback Yes
MP3 Playback Yes
DVD Playback No
Old 09-03-03, 07:34 AM
GaryDell
Rookie

You still haven't mentioned what speakers you will be powering...
Old 09-03-03, 07:36 AM
amy011079
Lexus Test Driver

none except for the speakers that are factory in the car but i am not going to be running them from anything other than the HU.
Old 09-03-03, 09:41 AM
sirsomo
Pole Position

Looks like a nice head unit. Assuming you have a factory amp you are fine. Amps amplify signals from a source (head unit) and send it to speakers. The head unit tells the amp what to amplify. A head unit without an amp hooked up will turn on and operate, but you will not be able to hear anything. Just hook up your head unit to the factory system and you should be good to go, any decent shop could do it in 30 minutes or less. Do you have a factory CD changer?
Old 09-03-03, 09:54 AM
amy011079
Lexus Test Driver

well it's the stock IS 6-disk in-dash player. it works fine I just wanted something with a little more flash. ya know? the one i got IS a very cool player i just hope it works as cool as it looks.
Old 09-04-03, 01:29 PM
sirsomo
Pole Position

the good news is you dont need to buy an amp. The bad news is you will probably have to buy a new cd changer. Unless there is something that can make an aftermarket head unit interface with the OEM changer, but I doubt it.
Old 09-04-03, 01:33 PM
amy011079
Lexus Test Driver

hey by the way...what kind of car do you have sirsomo? just curious!
Old 09-04-03, 01:42 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light
Forum Moderator

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

I should come in here more often

Autotek is extremely too much for stock speakers. any autotek. It isnt because they have a lot of power. It's because they are built for subwoofers, even their 4 channel amps are beefy on the low end. tends to overdrive mids.

A few suggestions would be PPI, AMPLE AUDIO, Soundstream, US AMPS (---- and Alpine.
These are all exceptional mid amps. You can either run a 4 channel or a 2 channel. If you ever use the fade button, and fade to the rear or front, you will want a 4 channel because in 2 ohm stereo using a 2 channel you cannot fade. If you are not interested in the fade button and just like to hear it and dont care, a 2 channel amp will be much cheaper and put out the same level of sound.

Your choice.

P.S- once you remove the factory head unit, the changer will be dead.
Old 09-04-03, 02:01 PM
sirsomo
Pole Position

wow, you guys are quick. If you do decide to upgrade your amp, lasttry made some good suggestions, overkill, but good nonetheless. I run USamps and like the SS tarantula line, if only they werent freakishly heavy.
You can see some old pics of my carhere. If I ever get back to the states maybe I will make it to a SELOC meet.

Quick Reply: Need suggestions on an amp