Sponsored by:

Remote start on 330

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-03, 03:47 PM
kimberlyk2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Remote start on 330

Given that I often leave work at temperatures of below zero in the winter, I'm going to have a remote start installed before taking delivery of my RX330 this Friday after a 126 day wait on a special order. Needless to say my co-workers are plotting to kill me. Breakwater Blue with grey leather and walnut trim with Premium Plus and Navigatin packages... oh the anitcipation...

Anybody here have any experience with a remote start on the 330? Do you have to 'trade-in' the Lexus remote for another one?

I'd hate to lose all those fantastic C-BEST functions I've been reading about on this forum, but this past winter broke my spirit and I'm hoping pre-heated leather seats will renew it. :-)

Thanks!
Old 09-03-03, 09:52 PM
bige320
Driver School Candidate

Usually for remote start you would have to give up your factory security system remote or keyless entry remote. At the very least, you would have to carry an extra remote, since the RX remote does not have an extra button to transmit the "start command" to the vehicle or the remote starting control unit.

I have a Clifford Intellistart4 (IS4) remote starting system and SmartWindows4 (SW4) remote window rollup/rolldown in conjunction with a Clifford Bullet4 alarm system on my Mazda. Both the Intellistart4, SmartWindows4 and Bullet4 are in the Clifford G4 family. The IS4 and SW4 are considered accessories and they cannot be installed as stand-alone units. The IS4 and SW4 does not have receiving capability to receive the "start command" from the remote control. The "start command" is received from the Bullet4 and sent to the IS4 via the Cliffnet network. Basically, Cliffnet allows accessories (remote start, remote window rollup/rolldown) to be daisy chained to the main alarm unit and simplifying installation. The IS4 has four wires which work as if the key is in the ON position, and one wire for the ACC position and providing power for 10 minutes until a door is open. Useful for listen to the radio while you're still in the car with the keys out; it'll turn off once a door is opened. IMO, for remote start, window rollup/rolldown, it's better for cars without factory security systems because you either do not lose the factory features of the remote control (power rear hatch) or have to carry an extra remote or key fob. Additionally, it's easier to wire up those features, like the remote window rollup/rolldown and power hatch to the car rather than try to interface it to the car's existing system. (The Acura CL/TL has remote linked memory seats. I've read that the Viper alarm/remote-start system has an interface to work with the memory seats.) I installed the alarm, remote start and remote windows on my Mazda myself.

Also, I should mention that for the RX because it has an immoblizer chip embedded in the key and ignition system, you would need a "box" to store an extra key in the car. The "box" will house your RX key with the immoblizer code programmed and pass the code to the ignition upon receiving the "start command" allowing the car to be started. The key can be your valet key or an uncut key. Using your valet key will save some money and trouble of programming the immoblizer code. But the drawback is if a theif were to get inside your car and find the valet key, he/she would be able to drive away your car. Alternatively, you can purchase an uncut key and program the immoblizer code to that key. Using an uncut key would allow you to program the immoblizer code to the key and pass the code to ignition system allowing the car to be remote started, but making the key useless in the ignition system since it will not turn the lock.
Old 09-10-03, 06:24 PM
kimberlyk2
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the information! I really appreciate the response.

I took delivery of my vehicle on Saturday. It was supposed to be done on Friday, but they had some difficulty working around the rear power door (according to the salesman). In the end, I've got to have an additional remote, but it has door open/lock functionality. *shrug*
Old 09-10-03, 11:55 PM
bige320
Driver School Candidate

You're welcome.

Congrats on the 330.