Sponsored by:

Nakamichi Subwoofer Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-03, 06:49 AM
mynoles1
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Nakamichi Subwoofer Replacement

I want to pose a specific question for the latest information available on this subject, so please don't tell me to "go search."

I have a 95 SC400 with Nakamichi. The sub just doesn't seem to do much in most musical applications - even with the bass control maxed out. However, I AM NOT GOING AFTERMARKET. I want to put a new subwoofer in and use the Nak amp to power it. I do not want to install a separate amp for this. My needs are not special, OBVIOUSLY, but I just want a normal range of bass that I do not feel I am getting now with my 8 year old subwoofer.

When I did my searches on this previously, the JL kept coming up as the best replacement, however, I understand that this sub has been discontinued. (This is why I want the latest and greatest info on the subject)

What 10" sub is best suited to improve my subwoofer situation?? I want to simply drop out the factory sub, plug in and bolt in the new one and be done with it. Who makes the best free-air stock replacement sub for my needs?? (current model, please) Will this replacement you suggesst be OK from a clearance of the tank and Ohm rating??

Thanks.
Old 09-05-03, 09:37 AM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Go search.

Then you'd learn about some other free air woofs that members have used, such as the model that Pioneer makes, and the Vifa model sold by partsxpress.com. I would not expect a dramatic improvement, however- unless the foam surround has stiffend or rotted, your "8-year old" woof probably sounds just as good as it ever did.
Old 09-05-03, 11:33 AM
mynoles1
Rookie

I have searched, otherwise how would I have known that the other models either need adapting, are discontinued or are recommended/installed with an amp. For example, the thread that appears just a few below mine actually posed my same question, but everyone came just short of answering my exact question and went on to explain an amp quesiton. I am simply asking for up to date information.

Thanks for reading the original request
Old 09-05-03, 12:54 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Well, I did read it, and I'm not saying that no one else should respond and help you out. But all that info's already been posted- there's just not that many free-air woofs out there that fit.

Do ya really think someone with a perfectly-fitting replacement is out here, just waiting for your post, so he can finally reveal the solution he has been hoarding, lo these many months? Well, not likely, but if so, I'd like to hear from him as well. But with the stock amp, I don't know how much of a difference you expect to hear. I guess it might sound 8 years younger, huh?

And since you are so fond of the rolling eyes, here is another: you say you want to replace your stock woof with something different, but you are "not going aftermarket".
Old 09-05-03, 01:05 PM
mynoles1
Rookie

Perry, for the effort you've taken in typing these two responses, you could have probably typed in a couple of model numbers for me, don't you think? Instead, you would rather tell me how my current sub is working and how a new one won't do much. You must think I'm stupid if you don't think I know how they are suppose to sound.

But, you are right, and my intentions on getting some simple and direct information was a bad idea and I'm already tired of it. I will head to my Lexus dealership and order a new one to keep it all stock.

Thanks for all your help.
Old 09-05-03, 02:31 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Default hah! without those rolling eyes to guide me, I can't tell if you're serious or not!

OK, OK, OK......I'll shut up and give you the last word, mynoles.
I was gonna do a search and find those Vifa and Pioneer model numbers to post, but I was too lazy to do a search! And now here I am telling you to search- da nerve of me!

And no, I don't think you are stupid and I know how fanatical we can get about sound systems and the pursuit of better sound, so go for it . But I certainly hope you don't mean that part about going to a stealership - you can buy three or four Pioneer TS-W254F woofs (yes, I looked it up the model number for you) for the price of one Lexus woof! There are six of them for sale right now on eBay (yes, I looked it up for you) for $49 each.

But anyways, like I said, I'm gonna shut up and allow this dialogue to become more of a group discussion. I look forward to hearing what you end up doing.