Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

HELP installer messed up install and amp don't turn on now!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-03, 11:09 PM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP installer messed up install and amp don't turn on now!

Well i went with my friend to get his sony subs installed and they sort of messed up.. THey couldn't find the amp from the bose so they just took the speakers from the back seat doors of his 3.2 tl and wired the subs to that.... The subs sound nice but doesn't hit anywhere as hard as they are suppose to hit. THey aren't hitting low i guess. Also tonight the amp just turned off.... We were listening to it then it turned off.. When we went to touch the amp it was hot... I am hoping we didn't blow the amp.... I may have overheated.. (we are hoping) THis is the setup...

2 12 inch sonys
one 1600 watt sony amp.

using stock headunit.

Please help me out with whatever info u got... thanks
Old 09-06-03, 04:48 AM
jeremyp111
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mrshabo, it probrably shut off due to overheating. Let it cool down and see if it powers back on. What gauge power and ground wire did they use?

Now, I'm not familiar with the 3.2tl Bose system, but it may have the speakers high passed at the factory amp. It won't feed low frequencies to the sub if this is the case. Your other option is making the right connections behind the head unit if you can't find the amp. You should get a good Line Output Convertor like the AudioLink PL2 from Crutchfield that's adjustable so you can fine tune the input levels to the amp.

Again, I'm not that familiar with the Bose system in that car, but if it's similar to the one in my old BMW 328i then this should work for you.

Also, what model Sony amp and subs are you using? Do you have the subs wired in series or parallel?

Post back,

JP
Old 09-06-03, 10:12 AM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

jeremy sorry i dunno much about sound systems.. that's y i got them installed at a professional place heh. We don't even know what guage wires they are... The guy that sold them said they were good up to 1000 watts.. The wires seem a little thin though. They look like the home stereo system wires... That thin. Not even sure if they grounded it... I don't think they did ground it actually.. I don't remember seeing them ground anything to the battery or the chasis. "but it may have the speakers high passed at the factory amp" what do you mean by that? They said they couldn't find the stock amp and i saw them taking the wires from the rear door speakers and wiring the subs from those speakers.. THe sony subs are the 1200 watt, 12 inch. The model is xs-l12ip5 i believe. the amp is xm-d1000p5 and it's 1600 watts. Well my friend just came over and the amp doesn't turn on... We dunno what to do
Old 09-06-03, 04:16 PM
jeremyp111
Lexus Test Driver

Well, your going to have to bring it back to the installer to get it fixed. Ask the installer the questions that I asked you.

If the amp won't turn on it could be a number of things:
1) blown fuse (there should be one in the main power wire near the battery and another fuse or two on the amp itself
2) blown amp
3) loose or bad ground not making a complete circuit
4) remote turn on lead loose or bad

There has to be a ground or else it wouldn't have turned on in the first place. Take a look at the amp and the car battery. At the battery, is there a heavy gauge wire connected to the positive terminal? There will be something printed on the cable and it should tell you what gauge the power wire is. Also look for a large fuse holder and look at it to see if the fuse is blown. At the amp, check the power and ground terminals for secure fitting. Don't play with these wires unless you remove the fuse at the battery. Make sure all connections are tight. Now, follow the heavy gauge ground wire to where it is grounded to the body of the car. Is it secure? Did they scrape away the paint before screwing it down? If not, then do so making sure all connections are tight and secure. Check the fuses on the amp itself. If they are blow, then replace with same size fuse.

Here is a basic wiring diagram, just as an FYI to give you an idea of what your looking at.
Attached Thumbnails HELP installer messed up install and amp don't turn on now!-wiring-diagram-basic-.jpg  

Last edited by jeremyp111; 09-06-03 at 04:17 PM.
Old 09-06-03, 05:55 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Why do signal wires from both speakers going into the amp? The subwoofer output should be mono so you only need to use the output from one speaker. If your amp shuts down most likely the subs are not wired properly. Definetely check the ground, power, fuses, turnon wires...the amp should turn on whether ethe is any signal going to it or not.
Old 09-07-03, 04:39 AM
jeremyp111
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by retrodrive
Why do signal wires from both speakers going into the amp? The subwoofer output should be mono so you only need to use the output from one speaker. If your amp shuts down most likely the subs are not wired properly. Definetely check the ground, power, fuses, turnon wires...the amp should turn on whether ethe is any signal going to it or not.

Yeah I know you only need one speaker for the input, but who knows how the installer wired it. Also, he mentioned that the amp no longer turns on at all, so he's got some digging to do. Probrably a blown fuse caused by, like you said, improper wiring of the subs.
Old 09-07-03, 10:07 AM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

well like you thought.. it was a blown fuse.. I haven't seen my friend yet but he went to another installer and redid the whole thing. He bought a circuit breaker, capacitator and a rca wire for something... Dunno what for and some new wires. The whole thing cost him 265.. My other friend said him system was bumping hard now which is pretty nice. I have yet to hear it.. I'm going jl subs in my system... It's just that i have to gather enough money to fill my trunk with them lol. I figure if i put a box in my trunk, i'm gonna lose all my space anyway so i might as well make it nice. Does anyone have any nice pictures of trunk setups?
Old 09-09-03, 03:40 AM
NRG
Lead Lap

my trunk setup..
Attached Thumbnails HELP installer messed up install and amp don't turn on now!-7.jpg  
Old 09-09-03, 07:19 AM
DJ SprinklesNJO
Lexus Test Driver

mrshabo.. go check out my pics in the pic section. they are somewhat old. but gives you an idea of a nice setup. also ive done some more multi thousand dollar setups this summer. where in NY are you located?
Old 09-09-03, 07:50 AM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

DJ i'm in flushing, nY. Also i can't find your trunk setup.

Last edited by mrshabo; 09-09-03 at 07:52 AM.
Old 09-09-03, 10:06 AM
DJ SprinklesNJO
Lexus Test Driver

this is my system, my truck is leased so i built it where its removeable. (no fiberglass or custom panels etc) just something different.
Old 09-09-03, 10:08 AM
DJ SprinklesNJO
Lexus Test Driver

heres another, top view. all neons can beat to the music. i also have lasers
Old 09-09-03, 10:10 AM
DJ SprinklesNJO
Lexus Test Driver

also custom gucci fabric on door panels and around the sunvisor tv's.

as alsways everything done by myself.
Old 09-09-03, 12:10 PM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

that's hot dj. i like the gucci leather on the sides. how much did that cost u Also do you have pics of your lexus? Does it have a sound system in it?
Old 09-09-03, 12:25 PM
DJ SprinklesNJO
Lexus Test Driver

that is my lexus rx300. i dont have any pics of my customer installs. except for one. its a mustang install. but i have to scan them and post. i do all sorts of work