Sponsored by:

VCR or Video game player hook up

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-03, 01:39 PM
qlpua
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VCR or Video game player hook up

Has any body tried hooking up a Vcr or video game player into the 115 plug on the side back panel of the RX 330.If so how do you make the audio and video work ?

Thanks a lot if you have the info.

RXraydoc
Old 09-09-03, 11:18 AM
lawprofs
Driver School Candidate

If you have the RES, there are audio and video RCA inputs right next to the AC plug.
Old 09-09-03, 02:11 PM
cfisher
Driver School Candidate

I briefly tried hooking my mp3 player to the inputs but got it to work for about 5 seconds but I don't remember how. I believe I had to put a DVD into the RSES and switch sources on the back panel. I have no idea how to get it done from the front seat yet though.

Please post if you know that you have inputs AND you've actually hooked the thing up successfully!
Old 09-15-03, 03:17 PM
HiTechRX
Driver School Candidate

We successfully hooked up an Xbox game console in the back of our RX330 on our last trip. We have the Rear Seat Entertainment System (RSES) option, and as mentioned above, the RSES has video/audio inputs jacks (RCA-type) right next to the 115VAC plug in the cargo area.

The RSES jacks support a composite video (yellow RCA) and line-level stereo (red/white RCA) plugs. You can hook up a VCR, an Xbox, or an audio-only device (MP3 player).

To listen to the device hooked into the back RSES ports, you need to select the "Disk" input on the front stereo system. It will toggle between the 6-disk in-dash CD changer, and the RSES input selected from the back seats.

On the in-dash DVD Navigation system, you can also watch the RSES video source on the Navigation display, if the car is in Park, and the emergency brake is on. When the car is actually moving, you can only hear the audio.

So, if you want to listen to the MP3 player, that would work fine. Playing the Xbox or watching a VCR, you need to be stopped (and also you need to be safe, right?).

- HiTechRX
Old 09-15-03, 07:12 PM
qlpua
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by HiTechRX
We successfully hooked up an Xbox game console in the back of our RX330 on our last trip. We have the Rear Seat Entertainment System (RSES) option, and as mentioned above, the RSES has video/audio inputs jacks (RCA-type) right next to the 115VAC plug in the cargo area.

The RSES jacks support a composite video (yellow RCA) and line-level stereo (red/white RCA) plugs. You can hook up a VCR, an Xbox, or an audio-only device (MP3 player).

To listen to the device hooked into the back RSES ports, you need to select the "Disk" input on the front stereo system. It will toggle between the 6-disk in-dash CD changer, and the RSES input selected from the back seats.

On the in-dash DVD Navigation system, you can also watch the RSES video source on the Navigation display, if the car is in Park, and the emergency brake is on. When the car is actually moving, you can only hear the audio.

So, if you want to listen to the MP3 player, that would work fine. Playing the Xbox or watching a VCR, you need to be stopped (and also you need to be safe, right?).

- HiTechRX
Thanks a lot for the nfo. This will certainly be useful on our drive to Destin.

RXraydoc
Old 09-16-03, 04:10 AM
Kyselak
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by HiTechRX

- HiTechRX
HiTech,

have you actually been able to hear the sound through the speakers ? I hooked up a VCR and MP3 Player but had the display only on the rear LCD and the sound only through the headsets - even after pressing "disk". Maybe I am missing something.

Kyselak
Old 09-16-03, 05:53 AM
cfisher
Driver School Candidate

Kyselak - What you're describing is what I believe I ended up doing.

I think what HiTech is describing is that you have to first select the correct input (the plugs in back) on the RSES, then you have to toggle the 'Disc' button on the front panel w/the park brake & Park combo.

Right?
Old 09-16-03, 08:07 AM
Kyselak
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by cfisher
Kyselak - What you're describing is what I believe I ended up doing.

I think what HiTech is describing is that you have to first select the correct input (the plugs in back) on the RSES, then you have to toggle the 'Disc' button on the front panel w/the park brake & Park combo.

Right?
The problem I amhaving is that I would like to hook up my MP3 Player to the rear input and be able to listen to it through the speaker while I am driving. I assumed it would be possible since you still have the DVD sound - not the picture on the front display - while driving. But like I said before if I hook up anything to the rear input I only have audio through the headsets and video through the rear display. Any help is appreciated.

Kyselak
Old 09-16-03, 11:16 AM
EvilStan
Driver School Candidate

Question

There must be a line in from the rear area of the vehicle to the stereo. Why can't you just splice into that?
Old 05-21-04, 06:45 PM
mrb627
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy RCA Inputs behind seat

I just came in from the garage. I attempted to hook up a vcr via the jacks behind the right rear passanger seat in my RX330. I was able to power up the vcr and get video to the RSES screen. But I could not get video to the NAV screen nor could I get sound through the ML system. I inserted a DVD into the RSES and got that to play on NAV and through the ML system, but could not get it to switch video and audio to the jacks back in the back. I guess the RSES is just not smart enough to pass these signals through to the main unit. This is a let down as I was planning on installing an XM Commander in the back in which to utilize the power and audio jacks. It sure would be nice if this would just work. I hate to have to splice into anything to gain XM reception, but it seems Lexus leaves no choice. FM Modulation doesn't seem viable as there is some kind of signal on every channel that they offer. I hate the thought of having anything clumsy looking in the console between the front seats like the Roady. This is a 42K vehicle afterall and I don't want to junk it up.

Has anyone had any luck with this at all?

MRB