Sponsored by:

Antenna mast or gear prob?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-03, 01:24 PM
sc4canada
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Antenna mast or gear prob?

the antenna does not go all the way down and when it reaches the most retracted spot this annoying sound starts and lasts about half to a full minute (i think it's the motor cause that's where it comes from)..... Now is that a mast problem or a gear prob? I did search and I personlly think it's a mast but I also saw a thread having to do with the gear or gears so I just want to know for sure.

Thanks,

Nick
Old 09-22-03, 04:15 PM
djl
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Nick,

I have the exact same problem, took the entire motor housing apart and found out that it was not the antenna mast. The actual problem I have is a broken gear center shaft. This shaft is part of the black molded housing and its job is to keep the gear centered and properly meshed against the pinion on the motor. I basically have to buy an entire unit, the housing is not sold by itself. Brand new units are pretty pricey, around $200 I think, going to try to obtain a used unit.

DJL
Old 09-22-03, 04:58 PM
EmeraldLexuSC3
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts
The symptom sounds more like the zip strip of the antenna mast is stripped down towards the end of the retraction cycle. (Where the strip meets the mast). And it’s my observation that if the gears were broken, the motor will just constantly run its’ cycle and will not retract nor extend the mast, or it will produce a skipping operation.

Last edited by EmeraldLexuSC3; 09-22-03 at 05:00 PM.
Old 09-22-03, 05:07 PM
sc4canada
Lead Lap

How would you know one way or another? I mean how can you tell what exactly it is.... before the antenna wouldn't go down all the way but it would go up fine and it wasn't a prob for that time but now it started to make that damn noise... so I don't know what the prob is and the ebay sale ends in like a few hours for the antenna mast...
Should I just risk wasting like 30 bucks?

Last edited by sc4canada; 09-22-03 at 05:12 PM.
Old 09-22-03, 05:26 PM
EmeraldLexuSC3
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts

Mine did the exact same thing. It takes more resistance to retract then it does to extend.
Old 09-22-03, 05:35 PM
sc4canada
Lead Lap

Just bought the mast hopefully i won't have to replace the whole unit instead.
Thanks for your help guys but I might need help on installing it.
Old 09-22-03, 05:38 PM
djl
Intermediate

Nick,

I have exactly the symptoms you have described, and it is not the antenna mast. What is happening is that as the antenna is being retracted, the load on the motor increases as more antenna is forced to coil up inside the house, eventually causing the gear with the broken center shaft to skip.

Just take out your mast and visually inspect the teeth, very easy to do:

1. Remove antenna nut (you can do this carefully with slotted screwdrivers).
2. Press "AM" and "CD" buttons on the radio receiver and simultaneously turn the ignition swith to the accessories position.
3. The rod will extend fully and be released (have someone standing close by to catch it) from the motor.

DJL
Old 09-22-03, 07:09 PM
sc4canada
Lead Lap

I tried doing it the way you said DJL and the damn thing wouldn't come out i practicallly got blisters trying to pull it out, it just didn't budge.. now the antenna is permamently stuck almost all the way up and the noise is there still.
Old 09-22-03, 07:15 PM
djl
Intermediate

Nick,

Did you fully remove the antenna nut? My antenna mast fully ejects by itself.

DJL
Old 09-22-03, 07:18 PM
djl
Intermediate

Nick,

One more thing, make sure you hold the "AM" and "CD" button the entire time until the mast is fully released. It is best to have a helper standing in the back to catch the antenna so it does not hit any painted surface of your car.

DJL
Old 09-22-03, 07:19 PM
sc4canada
Lead Lap

yeah the antenna nut has 4 groves top. bottom left and right i removed that clear of the top of the antenna along with the rubber base, all that was left was the bottom most piece with the screw grooves. I could practically see the inside of the fender.... was there something else i needed to remove as well?
Old 09-22-03, 07:21 PM
djl
Intermediate

Nick,

Nothing else needs to be removed other than the nut. These directions are directly out of the 93 service manual, should work with your 92 as well.

DJL
Old 09-22-03, 07:22 PM
sc4canada
Lead Lap

i was holding it am and cd the "ANT" came on the radio screen an then it went all the way up and just stopped there we were even trying to pull while it was going up....
Old 09-22-03, 07:27 PM
djl
Intermediate

Nick,

Make sure the ignition switch is in the lock position first, then press "AM" and "CD" simultaneously and then turn the ignition to to ACC position.

DJL
Old 09-22-03, 07:30 PM
sc4canada
Lead Lap

i was doing that among other things and it would just get to the top and stay there even when i was pulling the antenna upwards from the base and from the top it wouldn't help either.

Quick Reply: Antenna mast or gear prob?