Upgarde to Navigation system

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-03, 06:26 PM
dr_alwafi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Upgarde to Navigation system

Hi guys,
I'm asking if its possible to change the panel of my 2001 LS (without Navigation) to a panel with the Navigation system.
what do i have to do other than chnging the panel ?

thnks

Last edited by dr_alwafi; 09-25-03 at 06:27 PM.
Old 09-26-03, 08:01 AM
LS007
Lead Lap

It's a bit more than just a dash panel and display screen to have a factory navigation system. Not only will need the dash $906 (retail Lexus part price), display screen at $4,968, the navigation DVD drive ECU $5,388 mounted in the trunk, GPS antenna and associated wiring harness. The cost of each of these parts really $add$ $up$, not to mention that it will require the entire front dash be replaced. Maybe if you found a navigation model in a junk yard with all these parts it would be much cheaper, but from what I've heard you better find it the day it's brought in!

A couple other options would be:

1. Use another navigation system and mount a touch screen display on your dash, glove box or center console. One member of CL even replaced his rear view mirror with a monitor for navigation and added a backup camera. My recommendation would be to go with a Pioneer AVIC-80 navigation system with Pioneer AVD-W6210 touch screen.

2. Buy the factory dash and aftermarket navigation system. Custom mount a display in the opening, such as the Pioneer, Kenwood or Alpine screen. This would require a real expert in fiberglass and custom dash build-up/installation.

3. Buy a StreetPilot III or V and custom mount it your dash or lower center console (if they have remote GPS antenna for StreetPilots). I've heard good things about StreetPilot GPS and it's nice to have a portable GPS unit.

4. If you have a notebook PC and often travel with it, then a product like TraveRoute's CoPilot (www.traveroute.com) would work well. Add a power inverter or DC auto adapter for your notebook and flip it open on your passanger seat or buy a very small notebook for dedicated GPS operation.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-26-03, 02:46 PM
dr_alwafi
Driver School Candidate

Default thanks

Oh my God that is alot of money. I thought it was less complecated, thanks for the info and ideas

About the Pioneer system I heard that there r some problems when installing it in a Lexus. So do you know anybody who has such a system on his Lexus.

I'd be very thankful if u show me a pic of the whole system after being installed

Last edited by dr_alwafi; 09-26-03 at 03:11 PM.
Old 11-07-03, 11:49 AM
LexCiting
Lead Lap

I had the pioneer Nav & DVD headunit installed in my Lexus. I will post pics soon. I have swapped out the DVD head unit for a the new 7500 Touch Screen unit.
Old 11-08-03, 04:24 AM
angelslex
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: Upgarde to Navigation system

Originally posted by dr_alwafi
Hi guys,
I'm asking if its possible to change the panel of my 2001 LS (without Navigation) to a panel with the Navigation system.
what do i have to do other than chnging the panel ?

thnks
chec this thread out from Bananasgs he got the units for sale and he can do the job for you.http://bananags.netfirms.com/