Sponsored by:

Repurpose inputs from CD changer

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-21, 08:55 PM
Ethan5150
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Repurpose inputs from CD changer

Ok, this is going to sound like a weird question but I'm curious if anyone is VERY familiar with the stock audio setup of the 1993 SC400 because...

I just replaced a bunch of the stock speakers thinking the deck was ok. But it turns out the left channel of the tape deck doesn't work properly. Radio is fine - just the deck. Tried cleaning the head, no dice. I think it's a bad transistor or something... I really don't want to pull the stock deck and replace it with a new stereo because I believe a new stereo is going to want coax speakers, not the components I just replaced. I could be wrong about this - maybe there's crossovers hidden somewhere? But anyway, I just don't want to replace the deck, call me crazy, I like the oldskool deck. I don't need bluetooth frying my b@lls while I drive around. And YES, the WiFi IS causing damage. But that's another story. I just want the bloody tape adapter to work plugged into my external phone (in airplane mode, to eliminate the wireless of course ). So I've thought about using one of those old FM transmitters but there again, RF blasting the b@lls. Not as high frequency but probably not good. I'm electrohypersensitive from too much WiFi over the years. Anyway... Next I thought about one of those inline FM deals that plugs into the antenna input on the deck and provides an aux in. This is my next best solution, but it's clunky and kinda not worth the effort. I certainly don't want to pay the $500 people want for a replacement deck on eBay - that's just crazy. So my last idea is to determine if the wires from the disc changer (which has long since been removed from my car) have a possibility of sending audio in. I'm guessing not, since I'm thinking there's a lot more going on when I select CD on the deck then just switching the input to the disc changer (like all the management of the changer) but maybe I'm wrong.

Anyone want to weigh in here. Yes, I know I'm ridiculous... let's move on
Old 06-16-21, 09:06 PM
Ethan5150
Driver

Nevermind - stupid question. I just tried switching to CD and it just kicks back to radio. Ugh. How I wish there was another way to get an input into this deck... argh...
Old 06-16-21, 09:07 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,938 Likes on 2,474 Posts

Hate to break it to you but electromagnetic radiation is hitting you no matter if you use wireless devices are not. You're going to need at least the schematics to the head unit and CD changer to figure out what is going on.
Old 06-17-21, 01:00 PM
Ethan5150
Driver

Well I carry my RF meter with me everywhere I go, and I wear faraday clothing when I need to. But yeah, we're all being bombarded. I work in IT and I developed an autoimmune disease which I've since linked to RF exposure. I even wrote a book on the subject because I see so many people who are going to pay the price (or already are/have) (bit.ly/wireless-book)

But all that aside, I'm thinking I'm just going to have to replace the head unit - I don't really see myself opening up that tape deck and tracking down a bad transistor. So I guess my question then becomes; will I need to rethink all the stock speakers if I replace the deck or will a wiring harness adapter kit just work as-is? I'll be sad to let go of the stock deck...
Old 06-17-21, 02:46 PM
BMeek
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Cool Radio Chaos…

Originally Posted by Ethan5150
Nevermind - stupid question. I just tried switching to CD and it just kicks back to radio. Ugh. How I wish there was another way to get an input into this deck... argh...
Are you sure there’s power getting to the CD player? I don’t know your car’s stock sound system, but in my ‘98 ES300, the original head unit wouldn’t switch to or stay on the CD input (that I had hacked to splice in a 3.5mm analog “aux port” on the cheap) unless the CD player component was powered up and under the impression that it was in the act of playing a CD.

There are aftermarket devices that would plug into the stock head unit’s “external CD” plug and give you a proper and discrete auxiliary input… (see
this one this one
although it DOESN’T claim to fit your car) Presumably, this device also masquerades as a healthy CD player. I eventually went with a radioactive aftermarket WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS, FM and AM-equipped head unit myself :-).

Glowingly yours,
@BMeek
Old 06-17-21, 03:11 PM
Ethan5150
Driver

Whoa! I didn't know such a thing existed! That's awesome - I'll dig into this. Thanks BMeek - great info!!! You da man!