Sponsored by:

Replacement Key FOB DIY on the cheap

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-21, 07:22 AM
chrisca70
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Replacement Key FOB DIY on the cheap

I have seen some posts related to this but to my knowledge this is the cheapest way to getting a replacement key FOB and program it to our Lexus/Toyota vehicles. If you already know how to use Techstream, total cost will be around $115 (Sept-2021 price). If you do not have Techstream, then your total price should be around $165, since you will need a locksmith to program your key. All in all, this beats the $400 punch if you go straight to the dealership.
-
-
  • Purchase a virgin FOB remote from your preferred dealer. My GX460 FOB remote was part# 8990460590 and it was $100 including installed battery (yes! dealer had an online sale and free shipping). When you place your order, DO NOT order the key blade from the dealership, the uncut key blade is a separate part that you will order from a different source.
  • Order a cut key blade. I found a locksmith on eBay, seller name is "1010keys". You only have to send them a picture of your key blade from all angles and they will cut and send you a matching key blade for $15 total. This blade is obviously not genuine but it will fit your FOB remote and most importantly it will work.
  • If you have Techstream and the matching OBD cable ($30-50), there are multiple tutorials available online that show you how to program the FOB key to the car. I followed this one LINK.
    • If you do not want to deal with Techstream, just have a local Locksmith to program your key (~$50).

That's it. There are places that sell after market remote FOB but I have learned that the quality is not really the best with problems with range and proximity detection issues.

*Another cool tip to prevent future lockouts: remove the key blade from your spare remote and put the key blade in a waterproof container that you can attach securely under the car; leave the remote inside the car in a faraday pouch (or wrap it in two layers of Aluminum foil), the faraday pouch will isolate your spare remote signal so it will not interfere with your main remote signal. So the next time that you loose/misplace your main FOB key, reach to your hidden key blade under the car, open the car and reach to your spare remote and voilá!

Last edited by chrisca70; 09-16-21 at 07:34 AM.