Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Minor Trunk Project planned - Opinions? (updated w/ pics 56k=bad)

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-04, 08:01 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Dave:
Black velcro (the 'hook' side) works VERY nicely as far as sticking to the GS trunk liner. So you can do one of two things that will look great: 1) cut pieces of matching trunk liner (can even be the pieces you cut away if they are still around and in one piece) and velcro them to the area of the holes, or 2) cut pieces of matching enclosure carpet (just like what's around your woofer) and velcro them to the holes. This has the added advantage of being immediately removable and replaceable. You may also want to wrap and glue (spray adhesive) a piece of the matching carpet around the STB, unless you prefer seeing the red color. You can also use one of those plastic wraps that they make for shower curtain bars in black or gray to cover the STB (you can get them at a bed/bath/linen type store).

I've also found that tinting the rear window makes all the aesthetic problems go immediately away, looks good, keeps the entire car cooler, and will save the rear deck materials and rear seats from being prematurely faded and eaten by the sun's UV.
Old 02-20-04, 01:26 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,287 Likes on 1,393 Posts

Another good idea, thanks. Without having to go back to the install shop, do you know of a source where I could order some of the enclosure carpet material without buying a gross?

I do like the red color - it's a signature of Tom's suspension parts (I don't have the sticker on it right now), so I'll probably leave it for now.

BTW, my GS (including rear window) already is tinted the max allowed in NC (35%). I took the through-the-window pics without flash and in the garage (white wall in front) intentionally to keep it light. Looks much darker once you hit it with more sunlight or a flash.

Example below of earlier pic outside (pre removal of third light), also if you look at the picture (1st 'update' pic above) with the trunk open where you can see the bottom of the rear window you can see how much darker it looks when taken with flash.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 02-20-04 at 01:34 PM.
Old 02-20-04, 01:34 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

My sources for carpeting are Crutchfield, SoundDomain.com, and MCM Electronics. I'm sure there are opthers, but I don't think any of them have small pieces for sale. Recommend going to local installer, even BestBuy/Circuit City type places, and grabbing some scraps if you don't want to buy larger quantity.