Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Another shot from the same movie
Attached Thumbnails Video on Nav, another approach-lald2.jpg  
Old 11-04-03, 02:02 PM
jstjohnz
Pole Position

This shows the rear edge of the nav unit and the space behind (between nav unit chassis and right fender) where the relay is mounted. The nav unit chassis is hard to see because it is washed out. The grey band near the bottom of the picture is the back edge of the nav unit chassis. The tan piece with the red green blue grey and black wires is the VGA output cable from the converter.
Attached Thumbnails Video on Nav, another approach-behind-nav.jpg  

Last edited by jstjohnz; 11-04-03 at 02:48 PM.
Old 11-04-03, 02:07 PM
jstjohnz
Pole Position

These are the main components. The black box near the top of the photo is the terminating box of the XBox component video output cable. L-R audio is taken from here, and the 3 component video jacks are wired to the Component input on the Audio Authority Component to RGB converter using the red/green/blue RCA cables.

The grey cable coming out of the back of the converter is the VGA output that runs to the normally open contacts of the relay.
Attached Thumbnails Video on Nav, another approach-parts.jpg  
Old 11-04-03, 02:13 PM
jstjohnz
Pole Position

This is a closer view of the relay and it's wiring. The nav chassis has been removed for this photo. The relay is the green cube. It is plugged into the grey plastic relay socket, and all wires connect to the screw terminals on the relay socket.

The white connector in the lower left is the plug that goes into the back of the nav unit. The cable has been unwrapped for several inches to allow separating out and cutting the 4 video signal wires (Red Green Blue and Sync).

The 4 'common' contacts connect to the "display" end of the nav cable (a couple of these wires are barely visible on the right side of the relay socket).

The 4 'normally closed' contacts connect to the nav end of the nav cable. These are the red/white/black/green wires connected to the top row of screws on the left side of the socket.

The 4 'normally open' contacts connect to the RGB output cable from the converter. This is the grey cable in the upper left that breaks out into red/green/blue/grey wires, and an extra sync line that is not used.
This is the lower row of terminals on the left side of the relay.

The red and black wires on the right are for the relay coil. When 12 volts is applied to these wires, the relay pulls in and the display switches from nav to xbox.

The remainder of the wires in the nav cable just run underneath the relay socket.

-jim-
Attached Thumbnails Video on Nav, another approach-relay-closeup.jpg  

Last edited by jstjohnz; 11-04-03 at 02:54 PM.
Old 11-04-03, 03:01 PM
Methodical
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is BAD-***!!! I wish I lived in Indiana, I'd pay you to hook up my LS. How hard was it to hook everything up on a scale of 1 to 10? This is very interesting. Thanks for sharing the pic's and the info.
Oh, btw, is audio being ran through the Levinson system? If so, how do movies and games sound over the speakers? Thanks

Last edited by Methodical; 11-04-03 at 03:03 PM.
Old 11-04-03, 06:45 PM
NoRyceGS4
Lexus Test Driver

theres gotta be a better way for audio than using the tape....
Old 11-04-03, 06:50 PM
NoRyceGS4
Lexus Test Driver

can you hook up more angles on the relay, im going to do this mod very very soon.....oh yeah and how about a pic of the switch you use inside the cabin to switch between DVD and Nav Thanks =D

Last edited by NoRyceGS4; 11-04-03 at 07:22 PM.
Old 11-05-03, 09:25 AM
jstjohnz
Pole Position

Originally posted by Methodical
That is BAD-***!!! I wish I lived in Indiana, I'd pay you to hook up my LS. How hard was it to hook everything up on a scale of 1 to 10? This is very interesting. Thanks for sharing the pic's and the info.
Oh, btw, is audio being ran through the Levinson system? If so, how do movies and games sound over the speakers? Thanks
OK, first I need to say that the main goal here was to see if the XBox and Audio Authority converter combination would work for putting video on the Lexus nav screen. Video on nav has been discussed many times before, and there are several systems out there (including VideoNavi's and Vlad's and others).

The main problem with displaying video on the Lexus nav screen is that the nav system uses RGB video, not standard composite or S video. This is because it's basically a computer, and most computer video is RGB.

So, to get video on the nav screen, you have to be able to convert it to RGB. Most of the systems that I have seen are based on the Pioneer GEX7000 (?) TV tuner module. This is a very versatile unit, it has video inputs plus the TV tuner, it has both composite and RGB outputs, and it has an RGB input.

But it is fairly pricey, it needs some custom external circuitry to enable the on-screen display to work (needed for setup and control), and there are some video quality issues.

At this point I can say that yes this combination will work and is another alternative to consider if you want video on your nav display. It can be done with basically stock components.

Now that I know it works, I'm ready to start figuring out where to stick all of the pieces for the final installation. Some things needed are:

The Xbox is a 120 volt AC device. You need an inverter to power it. Then you need a way to turn x-box and inverter on and off with a remote switch. More on that down the road....

Another remote switch to select nav or xbox video. The wiring is trivial, you just need to switch 12 volts to the relay coil.

Some method of controlling the xbox. You can use a hard-wired controller, a wireless controller, or the infrared handheld dvd remote. If using the dvd remote you need to extend the remote sensor from the xbox front panel up into the passenger compartment.

Audio.... Headphones or tie into Lexus audio system.

-jim-
Old 11-05-03, 10:02 AM
angelslex
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default nav.dvd

nav.tv
Heys guys I know this been done before but just in case some needs some info on this conversion.check pics ,I will post more over the weekend when i get this mod done. i going to post this on the audio section.
check out this thread this little unit that i used is real good and is so simlpe to anybody can do it and for the price is great.p.s and i can still add the Xbox if i want to. the sound is hood up to fm modulator and it sound great.
Old 04-05-04, 02:41 PM
Methodical
Lead Lap

Has anyone else besides Jstjohnz tried this yet? I have an Audio Authority 9A62 converter and would like to hook it up but, I don't have the exact wiring diagram that Jstjohnz used. Can anyone help?
Thanks, Mike
Old 04-17-04, 10:07 PM
spaniola
Rookie

Hello, I have a 2004 RX330, and would LOVE to do this mod, I already have a Xbox, modded with hard drive, all the goodies, the hd kit, everything. Do you know if i can do this on my rx? its the same system as the ls and gs right?

If so im going to order the adaptor on pacific cable asap!!!

Thanks so much for the info!
Old 04-24-04, 11:50 AM
spaniola
Rookie

Ok got this all set, but one stupid question, when snipping the bnc cables, do you use the inner part of the wire or the outside wire?

Thanks
Old 04-24-04, 12:10 PM
LS007
Lead Lap

The inner conductor has the signal and the outer shielding is for ground. I'd twist all the shields together at the end the wires are exposed.

Last edited by LS007; 04-24-04 at 12:11 PM.
Old 04-24-04, 12:17 PM
Methodical
Lead Lap

I e-mailed Jim about this,and here is his reply;
HI Mike,
Let me know what specific info you need. I basically ran my component (YUV)
output of my X-Boxto the 9a62, then ran the output of the 9a62 (R,G,B, and
sync) to the normally open contacts of a 4 pole double throw relay. You
need to break the existing RGB and S signals near the nav unit, then
attach the 'display' side of those 4signals to the relay's COMMON contacts,
and the 'nav' side of those signalsto the relays normally closed contacts.

I was able to mount the relay right behind the nav unit so I didn't need to
extend any wires.

When the relay is off, the nav display gets it's signal from the nav unit,
when the relay is on, the nav display is fed from the 9a62.

Also, I learned the hard way that the power plug on the 9a62 is wired TIP
NEGATIVE. I powered the 9a62 directly from the car's 12v with no problems.

Also, if you are planning on using an X-Box, I am working on a 12VDC power
supply to replace the standard xbox power supply, so the whole thing will run
off of 12 volts.
-jim-

Last edited by Methodical; 04-24-04 at 12:35 PM.
Old 04-24-04, 01:38 PM
spaniola
Rookie

the wires are so hard to pull out in the middle, so basically just hook both together and i should be good? the video sig and the ground?

when i try it i just get lines on the nav screen, when i re wire it stock the nav works fine.

so far for my 2004 rx i found the diagram to be: I THINK... :

red=red
green=green
blue=white
sync=black

lemme know any tips! please!!!

Quick Reply: Video on Nav, another approach