Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Help needed with wiring (heated steering wheel plug)

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-22, 04:45 PM
NoFi
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help needed with wiring (heated steering wheel plug)

Hi!

Long story short - I ordered a carbon fiber steering wheel for my GS F from China and, unfortunately, they sent it without a plug attached to the wires (it's just 4 open wires). I had my local dealer order the plug for me, but I'm struggling to get it working. I get the LKA, blind-spot monitoring, headlight system and etc failures on my dash. I'm sure Lexus spams the same errors with various small issues, but I'm pretty sure it's that one plug. I either have the wires put in wrong or the issue is with the plug itself. I hope someone knowledgeable in that area can help me out.

The current situation:
1) I know which wire is 12V, which is ground and which are the temp control lines.
2) I think I assumed correctly from the original plug how they should be positioned.
3) I'm still getting the errors.

This is how the original plug looks like (I'd imagine the red is 12V, the middle ones are temp control lines(just because they are 2 slightly thinner lines, and the remaining one is the ground):

This is how the aftermarket steering wheel came like (the purple ones are temp control lines):

These are the plugs, the one on the right is the one from original steering wheel, the one on the left is what local Lexus dealer supplied me for 8 euros lol:

I'm a little worried about the fact that there is no metal in the plug as the one on the original steering wheel has it, but at the same time, it's also a genuine Toyota part. Could that be the issue?

Old 09-15-22, 05:09 AM
NoFi
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just for anyone facing a similar issue in the future - the issue was with the clock spring. I guess a few wires had broken during disassembly, the wires got caught in the steering wheel and pulled out the ribbon cable. I thought I got it back together properly but unfortunately had to buy a new clock spring.

For anyone installing a steering wheel in the future, definitely keep the steering wheel nut loosely on to make sure that it doesn't happen to you. Other than that it's an easy install.
Old 08-25-23, 12:04 PM
krill
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by NoFi
Just for anyone facing a similar issue in the future - the issue was with the clock spring. I guess a few wires had broken during disassembly, the wires got caught in the steering wheel and pulled out the ribbon cable. I thought I got it back together properly but unfortunately had to buy a new clock spring.

For anyone installing a steering wheel in the future, definitely keep the steering wheel nut loosely on to make sure that it doesn't happen to you. Other than that it's an easy install.

oh boy had I read your post yesterday! Have exact same issue so I didn’t venture out to rewire and reinstalled the original wheel. One other question for you, how did you transferred the LDA module? Mine was attached to heating wires with a cotton tape.

also what is the part number for wheel plug? I might just get a new one versus transferring.

many thanks.