Lincoln Navi in Lexus ES300

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-03, 12:54 AM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Post Lincoln Navi in Lexus ES300

Lincoln Navi in Lexus ES300
I plan on installing this into my ES300. What do you guys think about this and the possibilities on it to display video from DVD etc?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...item=2437721628

Last edited by tiguy99; 10-18-03 at 04:38 PM.
Old 10-17-03, 01:09 AM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Sorry the link is not working anymore. (THis site hates Ebay!) Cut and paste the ITem number 2437721628on www.Ebay.com and you'll see it.)

Last edited by tiguy99; 10-17-03 at 12:17 PM.
Old 10-17-03, 04:33 PM
Davtown
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure about the specifics of navigation and whatnot, but the problem with the link was that it had ellipsies in it (the three dots - "...")

here's the link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2437721628
Old 10-17-03, 05:19 PM
LS007
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This appears to be a radio and navigation screen. Do you plan on replacing your existing radio? The hook up will be difficult unless you have a wiring diagram for the unit and of course your ES. The unit is probably made for Ford by Vistion Electronics. Make sure the system doesn't have a separate computer unit for the navigation or separate amplifie(s) for the radio that would mount under a seat or in the back of the Lincoln. This would mean you only purchased 1/2 the navigation system off Ebay. Although I did see what appears to be the GPS antenna plugged into the back of what you purchased and that is a good sign there is not a separate navigation unit.

I wish you much luck with not only the wiring connections, but with the equally difficult job of fit & finish in your ES. Post pictures when you are done or what progress you have made along the way.
Old 10-17-03, 08:42 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Yes sir!!! The seller verified with me that there is no seperate unit (as far as loading software is concerned) and that for the most part things are integrated. What important parts make up a navigation system? It looks as if I may need a GPS antenna. Anything else? Has anyone here retrofitted a Navi system into their car before? What was that experience like? I figure that since the Eclipse 7301 unit is similar in size (with a bigger screen of course)

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...t=eclipse+7301

mounting it shouldn't be too much of a problem. I'm praying that there are no other major parts needed to run the navi. Any ideas?
Old 10-17-03, 08:45 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Yes I plan on replacing my factory unit and either fabricating a new face mount like the GS in the last link or purchasing a new one. I'll check on the factory amp issue on a lincoln forum and have an answer for you guys shortly.
Old 10-18-03, 10:45 AM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I see you won the auction Can't wait to see this install! I think you should be able to modify one of those metal single-DIN faceplate adapters that are available for the 92-96 ES and fit the unit in there,as long as the unit is no bigger than the stock ES "trapezoid" headunit. Like VideoNavi mentioned, you may have to go with the Lincoln amp for best results. From your projector retrofits, I know you're a pretty handy guy at making parts work And I know how it feels to pull off a mod naysayers claim is "impossible"--I'm proud of my 350Z/G35c autodim/compass/HomeLink mirror in my 1996 ES
Old 10-18-03, 03:36 PM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's hot - I can't wait to see the install , please post photos.
Old 10-18-03, 04:32 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Default [B]Here's an Update[/B]

Ok guys I went over to the local Lincoln/Ford Dealer in town here and had one of the coolest auto techs ever (Dan at Wooden Martin-Lincoln Mercury/Hill Ford You ROCK MAN!!!!!) pull up all the wiring diagrams for the 03' Navigator and 04' Aviator (just in case). We discovered that the 03' Navigators used two different kinds of Navi units. The one I got seems to be the first before they came out with a remake. Either way, the diagram shows that there is a factory amp however runs power to the 9" subwoofer. The OEM speakers seem to get their power from the headunit it self. This is a pic of the back of the one I bought.

Now the hardest part (that took us both two + hours to do) was find out exactly what pulg and wire goes to what. After getting basically all of the Navigator's wire system info from the Service manuals, we're left with the option of bringing the unit in on Wed when it should reach me. Either way, the sound from that thing is amazing. I couln't believe it was OEM. Maybe I need to get my hands on a sub and power it up from an external amp....who knows! I'll post pics of some of the diagrams I've found to explain some things and pics of the actual unit this week. Here's what I need for you guys to do for me. The dimensions of the Navi unit are:

7 3/8 X 4 7/8

Who here is experienced in fabricating face plates to look like they cover the double din size radios like in the GS300 example from the other link? If so, PM me ASAP. I'm gonna need your help. In the end, I'll add wood to cover up the black plastic so it really doesn't matter if the texture is the same as OEM.