Sponsored by:

GS400 speaker help

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-03, 08:57 PM
soj17
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question GS400 speaker help

Ok I just recently picked up my GS and I want to replace the speakers right off the bat. I know the stock sizes in the doors are 4 inch speakers but if I want to run larger ones are there brackets to accomodate larger speakers available. Also what size of tweeter can go in the stock location? I DO NOT want to cut my doors so exact fit is a big deal. Any info anyone might have is greatly appreciated.
Old 10-17-03, 11:06 PM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello soj17 - Welcome to ClubLexus.

As soon as I heard the Nakamichi system I thought "What is all the hype about- this is horrible - it sounds like there is a pilllow over all of the speakers - tweeters are dead, midrange is flat no crossover between components! C'Mon Lexus"

BananaGS has a great Do It Yourself site. I know you said you don't want to cut the doors but after you see how detailed the photos are and that all you really need are some basic tools, you may want to try it. I just ordered Polk db6500's and db650's for the back that are both 6.5" and I'm not worried at all.

Check it out, credit goes to BananaGS:

http://lexusmodz.netfirms.com/GS_DIY...ers/index.html

Last edited by TwentyTen; 10-17-03 at 11:08 PM.
Old 10-18-03, 06:32 AM
soj17
Rookie

Darius2204,

Thanks for the link, I don't mind cutting stuff under the door panles but I don't want to cut the actual panels themselves. That looks doable but my last questions would be did the Polk tweeter fit in the stock location or was it modified (couldn't tell from the pics). Also I assume that setup was using the stock headunit since the amplifier was still on the door, am I wrong?

Seth
Old 10-18-03, 07:33 AM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Seth,

The amp is not located within the GS door. They're located near the glovebox, kick panel area. What you saw was the crossover and the (i believe) yaw controller for the VSC. Amps aren't usually made of plastic...well, not the good ones anyways!

Percy
Old 10-18-03, 12:01 PM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by soj17
...did the Polk tweeter fit in the stock location or was it modified (couldn't tell from the pics). Also I assume that setup was using the stock headunit since the amplifier was still on the door, am I wrong?
Hey Seth,

I'll answer your questions in order. Most tweeters come in 3 pieces: Mounting bracket, swivel, and the tweeter and most tweeters are no larger than 1.5". In our case, the GS already has space designated for the tweeter so there is nothing to modify.

I think when my Polk components arrive (5-7 days) I am going to try and fit the swivel in so I can direct the sound toward the center of the car versus straight accross the dash.

Question2: Yes, his speakers are connected to the factory head unit. He has so many helpful Do it yourself tricks on his site, you may want to bookmark it. I am going to Target today to buy a new HEPA filter for my air conditioning.

http://bananags.netfirms.com/ -All credit is to BananaGS.

Percy: My amp is mounted in the trunk and I have yet to find another GS owner with their Nak amp in the trunk. Think mine was modified by the previous owner? It works out nice for me that way, less to change when wiring in the new amp.
Old 10-19-03, 12:34 AM
roller400
Rookie

I just had my speakers replaced today with 5.25 infinity kappas and 6.5 in the rears. I don't reconmmed it as a diy, I tried to follow some instructions, but I think they were made for people who have done quite a few installs. Luckily, soon after I had the door panel off and the speaker pod removed, I realized I was over my head and let a pro do it. I does make a huge improvement though.
Old 10-19-03, 09:23 PM
soj17
Rookie

Roller400,

How much did it cost to have the larger size speakers put in? I'm pretty sure that I'm going to let someone else do the work since I have a local shop I've used for years and they have yet to let me down.

Seth
Old 10-20-03, 06:33 PM
roller400
Rookie

Originally posted by soj17
Roller400,

How much did it cost to have the larger size speakers put in? I'm pretty sure that I'm going to let someone else do the work since I have a local shop I've used for years and they have yet to let me down.

Seth
It cost me anout $80 above standard install price due to custom cutting they had to do. Total was $220 for the fronts and rears.
Old 11-07-03, 07:11 AM
sung35
Lead Lap

Hi Roller, I also would like to replace my 2000 GS4 speakers with Infinity Kappa like yours. How was your sound compare to stock.? And do you have any other components (amps, for example) install? I only want to upgrade with speakers only. Thanks.
Old 11-07-03, 07:07 PM
roller400
Rookie

Originally posted by sung35
Hi Roller, I also would like to replace my 2000 GS4 speakers with Infinity Kappa like yours. How was your sound compare to stock.? And do you have any other components (amps, for example) install? I only want to upgrade with speakers only. Thanks.
It is a huge sound improvement over stock. I don't have an amp yet, so the speakers definiety sound like they are drowned out because the stock amp isn't supplying enough juice, but an improvement nonetheless.
Old 11-18-03, 04:55 PM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default speakers

roller400 i live in des moines wa where did you get your speakers installed? did they have to cut into the door panels to install? can i ask you how much the speakers were? does it sound as good as the nakamichi? i've got a gs400 and so does my wife she has the nakamichi and i've got a pioneer stereo and i think the nak sounds better than the pioneer. i would just like to get mine to sound as good as the nak. do you need another seperate amp for the sub woofers or is it something else? hey thanks for any advice ivan
Old 11-18-03, 08:56 PM
roller400
Rookie

Default Re: speakers

Originally posted by 3dog
roller400 i live in des moines wa where did you get your speakers installed? did they have to cut into the door panels to install? can i ask you how much the speakers were? does it sound as good as the nakamichi? i've got a gs400 and so does my wife she has the nakamichi and i've got a pioneer stereo and i think the nak sounds better than the pioneer. i would just like to get mine to sound as good as the nak. do you need another seperate amp for the sub woofers or is it something else? hey thanks for any advice ivan
I got it done at the good guys in lynnwood. I don't know about the door panels, but they had to cut the trays that mount the speakers. Having listened to both pioneer with better speakers and the nak, I think the nak sounds clearer until I get an amp. My system has more bass due to the larger speakers, but like I said earlier, the sound is muffled because the speakers are so tight. if you don't plan on upgrading amps, I would get the lower end speakers, which better off less power. I still have the stock amp running front and rear separates and the sub. I opted for higher end speakers because I plan on getting an amp for the speakers and new sub+amp.
Old 11-20-03, 02:50 AM
krock
Driver School Candidate

I have the pioneer system and I just bought the infinity fre air sub to replace stock. ( I believe it's the 1032w ) , my question is twofold are there any issues with dropping it into the stock opening with the dual voice coils and Two the stock amp is located where? Do I need to bypass or replace it with a more powerful one. Is it a DIY project?