Sponsored by:

Mark Levinson upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-03, 09:52 AM
Cessna172
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mark Levinson upgrade?

What do all you stereo gurus think of the upgraded Mark Levinson 240 watt system that are in the newer Lexus?

Are they up to par with some of the best, balanced sound you can get?
Old 10-21-03, 05:02 PM
drurywoodson
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I'm not a guru, but I liked it a great deal. They did go to some trouble to tune the system properly for the car. If they had offered it on the Rx330 with the performance package I would have been happy and quite a few thousand $$$ richer. On the other hand, all you have to do is take one look at the amp, and you'll realize that it can't possibly sound as good as a great aftermarket system. 240 watts divided into 11 or 12 speakers amounts to around 20 watts per speaker which just isn't that good. If you're the type of person that likes to go high end and spend the bucks, go aftermarket. If you would be going with cheap or midline components get the ML and save yourself the trouble and expense.
Old 10-21-03, 09:24 PM
LS430inTX
Driver

I have the Mark Levinson in my LS430 and while it is a very tuned and balanced system, it's bass reproduction could be a little more spirited. But it is probably by design since the typical LS430 buyer isn't interested in good bass reproduction. I will say that I am hearing most of my CDs in a way I've never experienced. I am hearing things I never heard on my home system or the system in my old car. The "sound stage" in the ML-LS430 is incredible. You can find out more details on the ML system by going to www.marklevinsonlexus.com.

Just FYI, the 240watt rating is *true* RMS. All other factory systems are not rated true RMS. What this means is that if the ML system was rated the same way other cars were, it would probably be somehwere between 400-500watts. When it comes to Lexus, all is not what it seems. You gotta dig for the details.
Old 10-22-03, 06:47 AM
Djdelite
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the system sounds good....I was told not to use cd-r's in the system because they will get stuck in the tray...however im a dj...an have oodles of burnt cd's.....I jus put 1 in the 6th slot and 1 cd in the 1st slot...so therefore there are not 6 cds all in there jammed and getting hot....Getting back to the system I use to have an ES300 an I went through a couple of stages my last one was having a 10in box attached..an it still sounded terrible..so all my freinds stop crackin jokes on me since my new system sounds much better. but please be careful not to get your cd's stuck cause the guy told me at the dealership that they would have to try and get it out..an if the cant it would take serious surgery to get the cd player working right again...
Old 10-22-03, 05:20 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Mark Levinson upgrade?

Originally posted by Cessna172
What do all you stereo gurus think of the upgraded Mark Levinson 240 watt system that are in the newer Lexus?

Are they up to par with some of the best, balanced sound you can get?
Depends on the vehicle model. With the GS, it sounded ok, even when the settings were tweaked. Now the LS430 is a different story. Had a chance to listen to one extensively and it'll beat out a STOCK GS system with Dynaudio speakers in them. More bass, more detail...the good stuff.

Now will it beat out a high end aftermarket system? Not a chance. Take that same GS and load it up with goodies such as McIntosh, Alpine F#1 Status electronics, Dyn speakers and all the trimmings. Heck, even a custom Tru Tech amp (or Brax for that matter) will waste the Levinson system when matched up with the good stuff, and not by a small amount either!

For the "stock" systems, the ML is arguably one of the best. But when compared to the big boys, they won't really run with them.

Percy
Old 10-23-03, 11:43 AM
RocketSlug
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have the gs430 with Nav, you don't have a choice for high end audio. You either get the ML system or stick with the stock. My GS400 had Nav, so I had to have the stock system in that (you couldn't have Nak and NAV.) ML system is much better than stock, and with the maybe with the exception of Acura's upcoming DVD-Audio system, I don't think a car maker has beat it yet.

Is there a way to upgrade the NAV/ML system I don't know about?
Old 10-23-03, 12:48 PM
drurywoodson
Rookie

Rocketslug, I don't understand your question. You generally upgrade sound by adding a new amp, speakers, sub, and possibly a processor or head unit. Why is it that you feel this can't be done on a GS?

--drury
Old 10-23-03, 05:54 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by RocketSlug
If you have the gs430 with Nav, you don't have a choice for high end audio. You either get the ML system or stick with the stock. My GS400 had Nav, so I had to have the stock system in that (you couldn't have Nak and NAV.) ML system is much better than stock, and with the maybe with the exception of Acura's upcoming DVD-Audio system, I don't think a car maker has beat it yet.

Is there a way to upgrade the NAV/ML system I don't know about?
Use Line Out Converters after the ML amp. This will kick the signal level down so an aftermarket amp can handle it. Then load up on some good aftermarket speakers, aftermarket amp, processors, etc. You CAN upgrade with the NAV in place.

Percy
Old 10-29-03, 03:01 PM
LS430inTX
Driver

Hmmmm...interesting stuff. Would anyone have a recommendation for a high quality line out converter? I heard that it was hard to find any that were worth a damn.
Old 10-29-03, 06:04 PM
drurywoodson
Rookie

Percy recommends the AudioLink Powerlink II Line Level Converter available from www.linkmeup.com for $34.95
Old 10-30-03, 10:26 AM
RocketSlug
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are all correct. I can add anything I want to it, but the new gear's input is going to be less than pure.

Speaker level to line level=dirty. I'm taking (in essence) a pure signal, the ML is amplifies it, then I reduce the voltage to line level, then I amplify it again? I tried this on my last GS4, and it did work for the sub, which to my ears is not as quality sensitive, but to do this conversion for all the speakers is not worth it. Science says it simply MUST add noise.

If thought about adding rear door tweeters, but that would pretty much only benefit the (rare occurance of) rear passengers, and would probably mess up the front soundstage.

I was dissapointed with the stock Pioneer in the GS4 system, but not the ML in the GS43. I just wish I didn't have to FM modulate my XM radio. . .that does not have enough volume for window down motoring.
Old 10-30-03, 11:51 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

AudioLink Powerlink II is also available from Crutchfield for $29.95.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-8tLlbey...w.asp?i=101PL2