Lexus Prototypes and Next-Gen Technology

Anyone else see the need for a Lexus RAV4?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-05, 08:17 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Incendiary
I was under the impression that the RX400h uses its hybrid system as a mix between providing enhanced performance/acceleration and providing enhanced gas mileage. In other words, the hybrid system was not optimized towards one end of the scale or the other, unlike the Prius (gas economy). In contrast, the GS450h I thought was supposed to be maximized towards performance with gas economy as an afterthought.

I wonder which is causing more consternation among P-car enthusiasts: the "dilution" of the brand by the introduction of the Cayenne or the "dilution" of the brand by a less expensive Boxster coupe. If Porsche introduces a sedan, as they've been rumored to be considering for some time now, I bet the P-car camp will go absolutely bonkers.
Porsche fans are up in arms. The Cayenne has been a success, doubling sales, but it has hurt Porsches image of sports cars (its a 5000lbs SUV, no matter how fast) and hurt its image for quality. Also Porsche purists want more sports cars. Maybe make a GT coupe. Stop whoring the 911 (too many varients). As you stated, a possible sedan (or a RX_8 door type Porsche).

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
You know what would really drive them crazy? Letting the Porsche engineers develope the mid engine Boxter to its fullest potential. There are many who agree that the mid engine layout is by far a more superior chassis than a rear engine layout. Image if they threw some of the 911 parts like turbo engine and suspension in the Boxter.
Well, finally a Boxster Coupe is coming. And a rumored, lightweight "Clubsport" version is said to be coming as well, the ultimate Boxster.
Porsche does not want the Boxster to powerful, or it would hurt 911 sales (since they share so much).
Old 02-10-05, 11:19 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If Lexus had a RAV4 based SUV, then people will associate Lexus with luxury trucks. Plus Toyota has no V6 powertrain for the RAV4, unless it can pull off a VW and make a narrow-bank V6...
Old 02-11-05, 03:24 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The RX is perfect in size and price.

Creating a smaller SUV, I think, would bring down the prestige of Lexus.

Go big(ger) or go home!