Search this Thread

Old 04-30-05, 01:06 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by BlkGS3
what ever you are smoking pass it down
I wish I can have some of what you 're having
The maserati at the $100k range carries zero appeal to me , they can't get me to keep it if they give one to me free, I'll trade it for something else
Old 04-30-05, 01:09 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

And you know how unreliable those 100k and over cars are..... Its like you see Ferraries in the shop almost as often as you see Fords.....
From what I've heard from the people I know that owns them & others, they probably are in the shop MORE often than Fords
Old 04-30-05, 01:47 PM
tetra7
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honesty for 100k, I would either pick up the Porsche or Aston Martin AMV8. Lexus has a great concept on their hands, but the prestige isn't there. Yes, Toyota is doing better in F1 than last season, but the other makers have that little special appeal/prestige that is lacking. Give Lexus time to penetrate and mature in this market, then I'll give them serious consideration.
Old 04-30-05, 02:38 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by tetra7
Honesty for 100k, I would either pick up the Porsche or Aston Martin AMV8. Lexus has a great concept on their hands, but the prestige isn't there. Yes, Toyota is doing better in F1 than last season, but the other makers have that little special appeal/prestige that is lacking. Give Lexus time to penetrate and mature in this market, then I'll give them serious consideration.
The next LS with V8+hybrid & LWB will probably be already a $85-90k+ car, so a $100K Lexus is not far off at all. Lexus have done their market research that shows people will buy them at this price range.

This LF-C , if they decide to produce it, will be a limited production car anyway, they don't plan to sell a lot of it, so they'll sell everyone they can make. Quite honestly, I won't be interested in it if they don't vastly improve the design of the front end, but not because it's a Lexus & not a Maserati.

I'll consider a 997S Porsche for $100k, but I think I' ve heard the AMV8 will be significantly more than $100K now.
Old 04-30-05, 03:19 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Toyota has proven what it can do when they made MKIV Supra. That was in 93 and it can still compete with any high performance car on the road. If LF-A is anywhere close to what supra was in it's time, it would be a success.
Old 04-30-05, 05:00 PM
Goldark
Lexus Test Driver

And you know how unreliable those 100k and over cars are..... Its like you see Ferraries in the shop almost as often as you see Fords.....

You get what you pay for, and if i can afford a 100k car, i wouldnt even look at a Lexus as one of the options

I hope you are kidding...if not please feel free to stop by any "high end" dealer and ask the techs.
Not to mention the outragous rates for parts and maintance.

Heck, look at the sched. maintance program for a Ferrari.
Old 04-30-05, 10:55 PM
xioix
Racer

but why do people buy cars from companies that have 0 history
e.g.
Panoz
Saleen(they were just a tuner)
Lambo when it came out to compete with ferrari, they were just a company like john deere

did people just diss miss the Ford GT when it came it because it was a ford
Old 05-01-05, 12:41 PM
BlkGS3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Goldark
I hope you are kidding...if not please feel free to stop by any "high end" dealer and ask the techs.
Not to mention the outragous rates for parts and maintance.

Heck, look at the sched. maintance program for a Ferrari.
You think what when the LF-A is going to come out, the parts for it will be cheap? I mean its a Toyota and all, but its still a $100k car.
Old 05-01-05, 12:50 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

I'm sorry, but what is it with people and "prestige"? Why would you buy a car based on prestige? Does Lexus not have enough prestige for you? I bet when the new LS comes out, you sure will be having second thoughts about the lack of "prestige" with Lexus. Using your logic, why even buy a Lexus at all ... I mean Mercedes Benz has more prestige than Lexus, and I bet you'd enjoy all the trips you'd be making to fix the car .

IMHO, I think Lexus already has enough prestige, and has earned enough respect in the market. Compare Toyota right now to Honda 15 years ago, when Honda released the NSX, and branded it as an Acura in the states. At that time, Honda (Acura) had almost no prestige at all, yet the car was a breakthrough, provided some big competition to Ferrari's. It was a success at the beginning, but the car lost it's appeal because Honda hardly updated it during it's 15 year run. The NSX goes out of production in June.

To see a Lexus supercar ... I think that has enough prestige. Lexus, known for quality, reliability, craftsmanship ... to see that in a supercar, is a dream come true.
Old 05-01-05, 01:03 PM
Vegassc400
Lexus Champion

I'm not going to buy a car based on what other people consider prestige. I'll never be a lemming. I'll take the reality of Lexus reliability over a sense of prestige any day.
Old 05-01-05, 05:43 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this thread needs more pics...

ferrari must be pissing itself over this $100k entry......
Old 05-01-05, 10:14 PM
BlkGS3
Lexus Champion

When you buy a car like a Ferrari or any one of those supercars its a sign that you are a well accomplished individual. When you see a guy coming down the road in a Lambo you automaticaly assume that he is successful and has money. If it wasnt for the prestiege then companies like the Italian ones wouldnt have produced such vehicles for the streets. And if you put 40 years into something that has made you successful, then you sure as hell want to make sure other people know it. I just dont think buying a Lexus (no matter how great of a value, reliable, or good looking) is the way to do it.
Old 05-01-05, 10:24 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

^^^

I disagree, the badge isn't as important anymore...the look of the LF-A, the presence, will leapfrog Lexus over Benz's top-line sports cars. Talk about a Super-Lex!
Old 05-01-05, 10:50 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you buy a car like a Ferrari or any one of those supercars its a sign that you are a well accomplished individual. When you see a guy coming down the road in a Lambo you automaticaly assume that he is successful and has money. If it wasnt for the prestiege then companies like the Italian ones wouldnt have produced such vehicles for the streets. And if you put 40 years into something that has made you successful, then you sure as hell want to make sure other people know it. I just dont think buying a Lexus (no matter how great of a value, reliable, or good looking) is the way to do it.

There are those who buy cars for status and image alone, and there are those who buy cars to d-r-i-v-e. From the looks of it---paddle shifter, v10, +500hp, +100k sticker, aggressive styling, lambo-like rear end, racey exhaust note---this car can definitely fullfill both roles. All this with the absence of insane maintainence costs associated with the competition? I think we have a winner (so long as this car holds true to the Lexus build quality)...
Old 05-01-05, 11:08 PM
Senator
Lexus Champion

I'd get it. I don't care what anybody else thinks about reliability, or service.

For 100,000 Hmmm, better start donating plasma now I suppose......

Josh

Quick Reply: Lengthy spy video of the LF-A from Edmunds.com