Lengthy spy video of the LF-A from Edmunds.com

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-05, 10:04 PM
Senator
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xioix
how can you buy a super exotic from a lawn mower company

by going in and giving the guy across the counter a check????

just kidding man, no harm intended, the oportunity presented itself and I had to capitalize.

I'll slap myself for you,

Josh
Old 05-02-05, 10:13 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

So whats wrong with that!!?? They argueably make some of the most sought after exotics known to man today( one of the fastest production cars today, argueably some of the best designs, and etc.) Pretty damn impressive for a so called "Lawn Mower" company if ya ask me. If your determined to do something, then you will do it. Lambo was determined to make a race car, and they successfully did it.

Last edited by magneto112; 05-02-05 at 10:28 PM.
Old 05-02-05, 10:18 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BlkGS3
This car will never succeed and will be taken out of production for 1 reason only... it has a Lexus logo on it. Ferrari, Lambo, Porsche, BMW, MBZ, etc..... Lexus= when it comes to the super car market.
Just like the Acura NSX flopped right?
Old 05-02-05, 10:27 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Good point... anyone else can confirm from the exhaust note that it is indeed a V10 running under the hood? I have no idea...

As for those of you who say you will not consider a Lexus even if you had $100k, remember, every car maker has to start somewhere. Lexus is not known for $100k cars quite simply because it's never had one!! You can't sell what you don't have!

I for one am confident to say that Lexus will sell every one of its $100k car as soon as they start producing one. People recognize a good product when they see it. And if Lexus is consistent in producing both high-performing and high-quality cars, they will soon establish themselves as one of the top dogs in the game. This is how other established nameplates got to where they are today, and so will Lexus.
definitely a V10, an OHC type (that'd be a given, but its the right sound too just to confirm)
Old 05-02-05, 10:28 PM
xioix
Racer

Originally Posted by magneto112
So whats wrong with that!!?? They argueably make some of the most sought after exotics known to man today( one of the fastest production cars today, argueably some of the best designs, and etc.) Pretty damn impressive for a Lawn Mower company if ya ask me.
and when a car company known for great cars, makes a super exotic car, its a no-no?
Old 05-02-05, 10:38 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

So whats wrong with that!!?? They argueably make some of the most sought after exotics known to man today( one of the fastest production cars today, argueably some of the best designs, and etc.) Pretty damn impressive for a so called "Lawn Mower" company if ya ask me. If your determined to do something, then you will do it. Lambo was determined to make a race car, and they successfully did it.
His point is that a LAWNMOWER company started selling super exotics to compete with ferrari and was succesful...

It'd be like John Deere offering a drop-top SLR competitor or Rolling Rock designing a Formula one race car... you guys are being too critical of this "brand image" BS... it means something to some people and absolutely nothing to others...
Not everyone that has a lot of money lives in a big city or in southern california like most of you do... dont make presumptions that everyone in the country is exactly the same as people in your region...
Old 05-02-05, 10:42 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

and when a car company known for great cars, makes a super exotic car, its a no-no?
I personally never said it was wrong or stupid for Lexus to make a Super Exotic Car, but I understand your logic. If a Lawn Mower company can successfully make a super exotic, then why cant Lexus, who is actually known for making reliable top of the class cars?? I applaud Lexus for making a Super Exotic car, matter of fact I welcome it. Lexus is a powerful company and they have many resources to make sure this LF-A is not a flop. No matter what Toyota says about "Performance not being in their DNA", this LF-A is designed to shock. How can people say that a car with a V10(500hp) with less than 3,000lbs, and around 100K flop??!! The only car that comes to mind with similar performance numbers and similar price tag is the Ford GT. Limited production car and its selling prettyt damn well(while being sold through Ford dealerships, how insane is that) If produced this will be a force to be reckoned with.

Last edited by magneto112; 05-02-05 at 10:45 PM.
Old 05-02-05, 10:44 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Originally Posted by Bean
His point is that a LAWNMOWER company started selling super exotics to compete with ferrari and was succesful...

It'd be like John Deere offering a drop-top SLR competitor or Rolling Rock designing a Formula one race car... you guys are being too critical of this "brand image" BS... it means something to some people and absolutely nothing to others...
Not everyone that has a lot of money lives in a big city or in southern california like most of you do... dont make presumptions that everyone in the country is exactly the same as people in your region...
Yep, understood....check post above.
Old 05-02-05, 10:57 PM
tetra7
Lead Lap

Let's get something straight here..Lambo started with tractors true..but after Enzo told him to take a flying flip over an issue with a clutch..that is when he was determined to build one of the greatest supercars.

So the conception of Lambo the automobile came bout with one intent..debunk Ferrari!
Old 05-02-05, 11:34 PM
xioix
Racer

Originally Posted by tetra7
Let's get something straight here..Lambo started with tractors true..but after Enzo told him to take a flying flip over an issue with a clutch..that is when he was determined to build one of the greatest supercars.

So the conception of Lambo the automobile came bout with one intent..debunk Ferrari!
how does that not be any different then people calling the lexus brand non sporty, and that this isnt a way to tell them to ****

lexus was to take over the luxury market, and a exotic car will just mean take over of the areas that lexus isnt already at
Old 05-02-05, 11:47 PM
BlkGS3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by robloc93
I would definitely buy this car over a Maserati or an Aston Martin! I think they can pull this car off to compete with the bad boys. Acura can charge almost $100,000 for a V6 powered supercar so Lexus is more than able to do it.I don't understand why some of you members here don't show any support here for your brand All this talk about smoking this and smoking that,BlkGS3 I don't have to smoke anything to like this vehicle....I think it's just gorgeous. Why are you even here if every comment out of you is negeative towards Lexus ?
WTF is your problem? I give my opinion on a car that is not even out on the market yet and all of the sudden "every comment out of you is negative towards Lexus?". Are you trying to make your self look cool infront of some people you prob never seen in your life or what?! What gives you the right to give your opinion and judge me on mine! You can say "... i think its just gorgeous", but when i say that i dont think it will succeed then it makes me the Anti-Lexus? do you even know what the hell is going on in this thread, or are you flexing your muscles infront of a monitor?
Old 05-03-05, 03:01 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
We can't compare A 100k Lexus to a 100K Acura, the companies are on 2 different wavelenths with cars as well as public image. As outstanding and stellar a NSX is, a 90k Honda (overseas) will not sell and in America, people have a hard time buying a 50k RL let alone a 90k Acura. Its like the VW Phaeton, great car, wrong badge.
Sure you can. Honda when they came out with the NSX had a great racing history in F1, and the car was developed with input from arguably the greatest Forumula One driver at the time. Fast forward to today where at least Honda now has a track record of what they can build in terms of exotic sports cars and compare that to Toyota which thus far only has the Supra. There is no doubt in my mind that Toyota can build an exotic, but how successfull will their very first attempt be is yet to be seen. I don't mean success in terms of performance or even sales since they will make it a limmited production, but in terms of acceptability in the intended market. Lexus makes the better luxury car, but right now Acura has the credibility for the exotic sports cars. Just talk to some Ferrari owners or read some of the Ferrari forums. The knock on the NSX is it is old and majorly under powered for today. They should have upgraded that car long ago. Most open minded owners feel that if Honda came out with another exotic or replacement NSX they have no doubt it will be a performer and a competitor once again. Talk about the Lexus LF-A and nobody knows exactly what to expect.

Talk about racing inovation and history? Honda has a stronger one than Toyota IMHO. Take a look at F1. What inovation has the Toyota team come up with? Honda was the first to get the carbon fiber and titanium gear box to work. Now Ferrari has their own version. Honda came out with the torque transfer system for the front wheels to prevent lock up, but had to dummy it down since it was too advanced for F1 rules. Honda came up with the sequential transmission with the fastest shift time but had to slow it down becasue it shifted too fast for F1 rules. That just some of it. Now you can say Toyota just stays within the rules than, but that means they are not pushing the technological envelope. Again, I had no doubt Toyota can do it, just that Honda has better history and credibility right now.

Now is you can get a V-10 for say 125k, well you have something special, since the Ferrari F430 is a V-8 and the Gallardo is a V-10.
Putting a V10 in a car and having it perform is nothing special. It is expected. We don't know if the LF-A is anything special yet since it hasn't been tested. A modified Supra can be made to handle well and out accelerate nearly any exotic, but the driving dynamics isn't as good as the normal exotics. The total package makes the car special. Some purist may even call it soul. I personaly don't believe in this so called soul, but when you drive certain cars even if it is not the top performer you know when it is special. Other cars will outperform it and do everything seemingly right, but it won't have the same feeling and thus make it not speical. I have no idea if the LF-A is special or not until we start to know more about it and people start test driving it.

I think Lexus would clearly be on the low end of the exotic car totem pole but the LF-A has LEXUS going for it, which is regarded as the finest Japanese luxury brand and one of the top luxury brands. And in Europe, they gush even more on the quality and service you get from owning a Lexus. So the LF-A has that going for it.
This I totally agree. the LF-A definately has the advantage of being a Lexus. Too me though that advantage is knowing that whatever this car does it will be reliable. Everything else is yet to be proven.

Finally, they have to get the drive right. The NSX may sell slow but EVERY reviewer loves the car. Even as recently as 2 years ago, the NSX-R won Track Car of the Year. It has the balance, the low weight, the shifter to go with the engine (which may be underpowered to supercar standards). The NSX is the complete driving package.
And this was my whole point all along. On paper the peformace of the LF-A is right. The reliability is a given. The driving dynamics is yet to be seen. That is why I keep coming back to hoping it will be a mid engine car. No matter what, you can't make a front engine car drive and feel the same as a mid engine car. The front engine may outperform it over all, but the driving feel will be totally different. People who buy exotics not only want the performace, but they want that driving feel. Truthfully, that is why people still prefer to buy a Ferrari 328 to an NSX even if the NSX out peforms it. The Ferrari 328 still has one major thing going for it. The driving feel and experience out does the NSX for the most part. It may be slower, but it feels good, it sounds better, and you know it is an exotic.
Old 05-03-05, 03:27 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I personally never said it was wrong or stupid for Lexus to make a Super Exotic Car, but I understand your logic. If a Lawn Mower company can successfully make a super exotic, then why cant Lexus, who is actually known for making reliable top of the class cars?? I applaud Lexus for making a Super Exotic car, matter of fact I welcome it. Lexus is a powerful company and they have many resources to make sure this LF-A is not a flop. No matter what Toyota says about "Performance not being in their DNA", this LF-A is designed to shock. How can people say that a car with a V10(500hp) with less than 3,000lbs, and around 100K flop??!! The only car that comes to mind with similar performance numbers and similar price tag is the Ford GT. Limited production car and its selling prettyt damn well(while being sold through Ford dealerships, how insane is that) If produced this will be a force to be reckoned with.
I too welcome Toyota/Lexus into the exotic car market. Too me, the more Japense exotic cars out there like the NSX/HSC and LF-A the better. I have no doubt that Japan can build a better exotic car than the Italians. It will take a long time for everyone else to believe that though. the thing that makes the Ford GT successful is not the performance but its history. If Ford build that car and called it something other than the Ford GT it wouldn't sell as well as it is since there would be no emmotional history to the car. Basically, it is a mid engine Ford GT and that sells it.

When it comes to the LF-A, the 500HP V10 and light weight are all steps in the right direction. I definately will not call its performance a flop. But, the styling needs to be tweaked. It is not really exotic looking yet. I keep hammering at this, but it doesn't appear to be a mid engine. It could be, but the dimensions look like a front engine car.

Also, I keep saying this again and again. Is the LF-A really meant to compete as an exotic car? Lexus called it a GT Sports car. Too me, it doesn't sound like they are looking to compete against the exotics even if it has the performance to do so. Competing in the GT Sports car class is totally different and maybe that is why it appears to be front engine and styled the way it is. I think it will make a great GT Sports car.

IMHO, making the car a limited production is not a good idea. Sure, it will make the sales figure look good since they will sell every single one, and it will keep the resale high. However, it isn't a true test as to its acceptance. Let the market decide if they want to buy 200 units or 20,000 units of this car per year.

I will also talk about one more point. The reason why the reliability factor doesn't come into play too much when you talk about exotic cars is because they are hardly driven. The resale on a high mileage exotic goes down significantly. Most Ferrari's that sell for high prices have less than 2-5K miles on them. Take a look at a 360 with 2000 miles and one with 30K miles and see the significant difference in used car prices between the two. Now, I too love to drive so I would be one that puts on high mileage on any exotic car if I were lucky to afford one, but it would be the same for the LF-A. To keep the resale value you can't put more than a few thousand miles per year on it. Even the NSX with as much people driving it everyday has an average anual milage of about 5K miles per year. The price difference between a 91 NSX with 15K miles and 91 with 60K miles is about $10K+ . People are still paying nearly $40K for a 15K mile 91 whereas a 60K 91 would be worth $30K. Personally, I hope people drive their LF-A cars alot and put a lot of miles on them. That way I can buy a used one (If I ever decided I to buy one) for cheaper.
Old 05-03-05, 12:59 PM
robloc93
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by BlkGS3
WTF is your problem? I give my opinion on a car that is not even out on the market yet and all of the sudden "every comment out of you is negative towards Lexus?". Are you trying to make your self look cool infront of some people you prob never seen in your life or what?! What gives you the right to give your opinion and judge me on mine! You can say "... i think its just gorgeous", but when i say that i dont think it will succeed then it makes me the Anti-Lexus? do you even know what the hell is going on in this thread, or are you flexing your muscles infront of a monitor?
Listen newbie,first of all,I was giving my opinion as well. Every comment you spit out towards Lexus is negative,so I really don't understand why you even own one. You show no support for your"so-called "brand. And who the is trying to look cool?What I don't understand is why you think anybody who finds this car attractive is smoking something. And me being an american with a mouth gives me the right to voice my opinion. Fine,you think it will be a flop...and thats fine but don't accuse me of smoking just because I think otherwise.

Last edited by robloc93; 05-03-05 at 01:07 PM.
Old 05-03-05, 01:05 PM
BlkGS3
Lexus Champion

lol what a gimp. You are calling me a newbie when you only have 50 more posts than me? what a ****ing loser. And how do you know that EVERY comment that i have towards Lexus is nagative? Do you follow me on this site just to read my replies? Listen if you want a date, then im sorry, but i dont swing that way . The only negative comment I have about lexus is THIS car, but your dumb *** assumes that its again EVERY lexus ever made. Do me a big favore and actually read what you typed before clicking "submit"

Quick Reply: Lengthy spy video of the LF-A from Edmunds.com