Lexus Prototypes and Next-Gen Technology

Lengthy spy video of the LF-A from Edmunds.com

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-05, 01:12 PM
robloc93
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by BlkGS3
lol what a gimp. You are calling me a newbie when you only have 50 more posts than me? what a ****ing loser. And how do you know that EVERY comment that i have towards Lexus is nagative? Do you follow me on this site just to read my replies? Listen if you want a date, then im sorry, but i dont swing that way . The only negative comment I have about lexus is THIS car, but your dumb *** assumes that its again EVERY lexus ever made. Do me a big favore and actually read what you typed before clicking "submit"
Just because I got 50 more doesn't mean anything,You come in here thinking you own the damn boards accusing people of this and that,I don't need a million posts because I obviously have a life
(no offense to my fellow CL members)Oh by the way you got the lamest come backs I've ever seen.I don't mind if you don't care for the vehicle but ,once again don't accuse people of smoking just because they think otherwise,that's a damn insult to my intelligence!! Oh and do me a favor..........learn how to spell before you post
Old 05-03-05, 01:16 PM
LexFather

Fellas no more personal insults, lets keep this thread open with a lively debate.
Old 05-03-05, 01:19 PM
robloc93
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Fellas no more personal insults, lets keep this thread open with a lively debate.
I didn't call names,but I agree Sick good day
Old 05-03-05, 01:20 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Sure you can. Honda when they came out with the NSX had a great racing history in F1, and the car was developed with input from arguably the greatest Forumula One driver at the time. Fast forward to today where at least Honda now has a track record of what they can build in terms of exotic sports cars and compare that to Toyota which thus far only has the Supra. There is no doubt in my mind that Toyota can build an exotic, but how successfull will their very first attempt be is yet to be seen. I don't mean success in terms of performance or even sales since they will make it a limmited production, but in terms of acceptability in the intended market. Lexus makes the better luxury car, but right now Acura has the credibility for the exotic sports cars. Just talk to some Ferrari owners or read some of the Ferrari forums. The knock on the NSX is it is old and majorly under powered for today. They should have upgraded that car long ago. Most open minded owners feel that if Honda came out with another exotic or replacement NSX they have no doubt it will be a performer and a competitor once again. Talk about the Lexus LF-A and nobody knows exactly what to expect.

Talk about racing inovation and history? Honda has a stronger one than Toyota IMHO. Take a look at F1. What inovation has the Toyota team come up with? Honda was the first to get the carbon fiber and titanium gear box to work. Now Ferrari has their own version. Honda came out with the torque transfer system for the front wheels to prevent lock up, but had to dummy it down since it was too advanced for F1 rules. Honda came up with the sequential transmission with the fastest shift time but had to slow it down becasue it shifted too fast for F1 rules. That just some of it. Now you can say Toyota just stays within the rules than, but that means they are not pushing the technological envelope. Again, I had no doubt Toyota can do it, just that Honda has better history and credibility right now.

Putting a V10 in a car and having it perform is nothing special. It is expected. We don't know if the LF-A is anything special yet since it hasn't been tested. A modified Supra can be made to handle well and out accelerate nearly any exotic, but the driving dynamics isn't as good as the normal exotics. The total package makes the car special. Some purist may even call it soul. I personaly don't believe in this so called soul, but when you drive certain cars even if it is not the top performer you know when it is special. Other cars will outperform it and do everything seemingly right, but it won't have the same feeling and thus make it not speical. I have no idea if the LF-A is special or not until we start to know more about it and people start test driving it.

This I totally agree. the LF-A definately has the advantage of being a Lexus. Too me though that advantage is knowing that whatever this car does it will be reliable. Everything else is yet to be proven.

And this was my whole point all along. On paper the peformace of the LF-A is right. The reliability is a given. The driving dynamics is yet to be seen. That is why I keep coming back to hoping it will be a mid engine car. No matter what, you can't make a front engine car drive and feel the same as a mid engine car. The front engine may outperform it over all, but the driving feel will be totally different. People who buy exotics not only want the performace, but they want that driving feel. Truthfully, that is why people still prefer to buy a Ferrari 328 to an NSX even if the NSX out peforms it. The Ferrari 328 still has one major thing going for it. The driving feel and experience out does the NSX for the most part. It may be slower, but it feels good, it sounds better, and you know it is an exotic.

I am with you mahn, great post.

I guess my thinking is more of the managment side, the business case for it and that is what may prevent this car from coming. We do know how competative the Japanese can be though and with the Nissan GT-R coming, I cannot see Toyota AGAIN, watching them get all the enthusiast limelight (like the current 350Z/G35s etc).

The Ford GT showed that on paper and in magazines, Ferrari can beaten by a non exotic car maker. But racing, that is a different story.

Lets hope the LF-A comes!
Old 05-03-05, 01:22 PM
BlkGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by robloc93
Just because I got 50 more doesn't mean anything,You come in here thinking you own the damn boards accusing people of this and that,I don't need a million posts because I obviously have a life
(no offense to my fellow CL members)Oh by the way you got the lamest come backs I've ever seen.I don't mind if you don't care for the vehicle but ,once again don't accuse people of smoking just because they think otherwise,that's a damn insult to my intelligence!! Oh and do me a favor..........learn how to spell before you post
How the hell am i thinking that i own the boards? Do you have anything to say that is to the point? You truely must not have a lot to say if my spelling is your way of changing the subject. Just for the record this is the INTERNET, no need to take everything that is being said so personally.
Old 05-03-05, 01:23 PM
BlkGS3
Lexus Champion

What ever dude im done with this argument. Its not going anywhere.
Old 05-03-05, 01:23 PM
robloc93
Lexus Test Driver

How the hell am i thinking that i own the boards? Do you have anything to say that is to the point? You truely must not have a lot to say if my spelling is your way of changing the subject. Just for the record this is the INTERNET, no need to take everything that is being said so personally.
Agreed,have a nice day
Old 05-03-05, 01:25 PM
BlkGS3
Lexus Champion

lol it did boost up the # of my posts
Old 05-03-05, 01:38 PM
xravexboix
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What ever dude im done with this argument. Its not going anywhere.
I think it's summed up where you used the word "argument" as opposed to "debate".

This thread is obviously here for us to debate and defend our opinions of the car but at some point it came personal attacks.

I totally agree w/ 1SickLex... this is a nice lively debate (even w/o the personal attacks haha) and it'd be a shame to see it get locked up =\

and call me NEWB all you want. That's what I am

Last edited by xravexboix; 05-03-05 at 01:41 PM.
Old 05-03-05, 01:44 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by xravexboix
I think it's summed up where you used the word "argument" as opposed to "debate".

This thread is obviously here for us to debate and defend our opinions of the car but at some point it came personal attacks.

I totally agree w/ 1SickLex... this is a nice lively debate (even w/o the personal attacks haha) and it'd be a shame to see it get locked up =\

and call me NEWB all you want. That's what I am
I was a newb

Gettign back to the topic, I HOPE the LF-A is coming. That would be GREAT for Lexus and really give it something needed as Lexus moves further up the market
Old 05-03-05, 01:48 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So where do I get this Lambo lawnmower?
Old 05-03-05, 01:59 PM
BlkGS3
Lexus Champion

Home Depot usually carries them... but i think that Low's can give you a better deal
Old 05-03-05, 02:14 PM
xravexboix
Lead Lap

Home Depot usually carries them... but i think that Low's can give you a better deal
are you serious? lol

is the brand name actually Lamborghini (however you spell it x_x) or is it a sub-brand?
Old 05-08-05, 06:32 PM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

If you had 100k to blow would you get a Masarati or a Lexus?
Hmm a 390 hp masserati that handles on par with a C6 corvette (and slightly slower accelerating then the C6)? (what masarati options do we have for 100k? Coupe, Spyder and the Quatroporte. Or a 500+ hp lexus thad would most likely blow both of them away in any type of speed contest?

Real though choice there.
Old 05-08-05, 08:09 PM
Koma

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
I will also talk about one more point. The reason why the reliability factor doesn't come into play too much when you talk about exotic cars is because they are hardly driven. The resale on a high mileage exotic goes down significantly. Most Ferrari's that sell for high prices have less than 2-5K miles on them. Take a look at a 360 with 2000 miles and one with 30K miles and see the significant difference in used car prices between the two. Now, I too love to drive so I would be one that puts on high mileage on any exotic car if I were lucky to afford one, but it would be the same for the LF-A. To keep the resale value you can't put more than a few thousand miles per year on it. Even the NSX with as much people driving it everyday has an average anual milage of about 5K miles per year. The price difference between a 91 NSX with 15K miles and 91 with 60K miles is about $10K+ . People are still paying nearly $40K for a 15K mile 91 whereas a 60K 91 would be worth $30K. Personally, I hope people drive their LF-A cars alot and put a lot of miles on them. That way I can buy a used one (If I ever decided I to buy one) for cheaper.
Me thinks mileage is overrated. But hey since everyone else thinks mileage is important i'll buy a 200k Supra for 9 grand.
The cars I have driven have all been bought used with over 200k on them. Of course they're Toyotas. Both are still running with very few mechanical problems.
The Celica I owned was a bullet for a 2.2 4-cyl. This thing held it's own against Mustangs.
I care only if the car is mechanically sound.
I'll take my 234k SC over some brand new flop any day.

Quick Reply: Lengthy spy video of the LF-A from Edmunds.com