Lexus Prototypes and Next-Gen Technology

Toyota Set to Launch Lexus $170,000 Supercar in 2008

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-06, 08:55 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

$170k is a huge chunk of money, but this is similarly priced compared to an MB SL65 AMG. If MB can do it, so can Lexus.

But selling a car for $170k is still a bit out of the non-exotic sphere of influence. Toyota will definately have a hard time selling these cars, especially when you can get a Ferrari F430, Lambo Gallardo, or Aston Martin DB9 for the same price. With that type of price tag, you just don't buy a car -- you buy the name and prestige to go along with it. Lexus, as luxurious as they are, do not have the prestige to go along with that price tag (yet...).
Old 03-06-06, 09:03 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

a better image car than the GT would be a IS350 with manual. More people care about the IS350 vs 330i war, and the IS350 is losing on that simply because it doesn't offer a manual.

I say Lexus makes some VERY LIMITED RUNS of IS350 manual, just so that it is listed as an option, and those magazine editors can zip it. Majority of 3 series buyers buy automatic anyways.

Anyways back on topic, this rocks.
Old 03-06-06, 09:39 PM
Sup
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sorry, but $170, 000 for the LF-A is a joke. Regardless of how it performs, the price is too high for an unestablished FR car. A comparable car the M6(FR V10) , is based at $96,795 I don't see anyone paying 70,000 more for the Lexus.

I personally would take a Gallardo over the LF-A for the money.
Old 03-06-06, 10:30 PM
xioix
Racer

For people talking about it not being an established name plate, I know it isn't in there, but neither was Lamborghini when it went from making farming equipment to making Ferrari competitors

And I doubt that pricing is accurate
Old 03-06-06, 10:52 PM
xioix
Racer

Originally Posted by genearch
For $170K it had better look a whole lot better than the LF-A
Its a design theme, like the LF-C was for the IS, if the new IS came with that LF-C butt, I doubt the IS would be selling like it is now
Old 03-07-06, 04:20 AM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Lots of good thoughts here. Can Lexus sell a car that costs $170K? Would the market accept an "exotic" from what is perceived as the cushy luxury company? Time will tell... maybe.

My theory is that when pricing is actually announced that it will be a lot closer to $100K (maybe $110K). That way Toyota gets the maximum bang for their free marketing buck, because the automotive press will be going ga-ga over it. "Toyota is selling their $170K supercar for just over $100K! This thing is amazing!" If they had announced it would cost around $100K, then I bet the magazine reviewers would be a lot more harsh. It's just psychology, but Lexus has mastered the art of underpromising and overdelivering.
Old 03-07-06, 04:27 AM
Skulinex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what he said
Old 03-07-06, 08:07 AM
Bercasio
Pole Position

For people to say it's not worth it, that is too soon to say. Till we see the LF-A on the road and see how it performs in the real world will be just a matter of time. And besides take a look at the MB SL series, a ride that cost a bundle but plagued with quality issues(having friends that are MB mechanics, hearing way too much of ).....a this point that is Lexus' guinnea pig.....Toyota/Lexus knows what they are doing.
Old 03-07-06, 08:59 AM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

I agree that this price is much steeper than almost anyone was expecting... But we don't know how credible Edmunds' source is, so I don't know if we should put too much faith in that number yet. In general, though, I think this car could be a pretty attractive proposition. Imagine a car with F430/SL65 performance, but Lexus reliability. I think that idea would appeal to a lot of people.
Old 03-07-06, 10:42 AM
Mattress
Pole Position

As i've mentioned in another thread reguarding the LF-A... they have allready begun the re-designing of the lf-a front ... to a more aggressive appearance...lexus desingers and engineers apparently have been hard at work... because of the disgust with the front end. So when it does FINALLY come out ... it may well be worth that $170,000 sticker.
Old 03-07-06, 11:11 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

I always thought Lexus intended the LF-A to become a direct competitor to the M6. Spec (preliminary of course), size and luxury-wise, both vehicles are very similar. If the LF-A does sell for $170k, however, Lexus needs to come up with some significant advantages over the M6 to justify a whopping $70k+ premium, such as a full-aluminum or carbon fiber chassis and body.

EDIT: One obvious advantage of the LF-A, of course, is the fact that it won't look like anything else in the Lexus lineup, hence more exotic, but for $70k+ they need to do better than just a distinctive look.

Last edited by XeroK00L; 03-07-06 at 11:25 AM.
Old 03-07-06, 11:19 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Why take so long???
Old 03-07-06, 12:04 PM
Bercasio
Pole Position

Would be nice if they offer a high output V8 for a convertable/targa top model and as for the hardtop model a V10. That should help in price flexing.
Old 03-07-06, 12:39 PM
Sup
Driver

Originally Posted by Bercasio
For people to say it's not worth it, that is too soon to say. Till we see the LF-A on the road and see how it performs in the real world will be just a matter of time. And besides take a look at the MB SL series, a ride that cost a bundle but plagued with quality issues(having friends that are MB mechanics, hearing way too much of ).....a this point that is Lexus' guinnea pig.....Toyota/Lexus knows what they are doing.

it doesn't matter how it performs, when you are in the $170,000(speculated) price range you are essentially competing with Ferrari and Lamborghini for the performance aspect and Aston Martin and Bentley for the luxury aspect. Either way depending on the focus of the LF-A (pure performance or luxury cruiser) people will not consider the Lexus.

Reliability isn't even a factor at this price range, people who buy cars in this range could care less. Toyota/Lexus does know what they are doing, they are just pricing to high(again speculation).

Originally Posted by diablo1
I agree that this price is much steeper than almost anyone was expecting... But we don't know how credible Edmunds' source is, so I don't know if we should put too much faith in that number yet. In general, though, I think this car could be a pretty attractive proposition. Imagine a car with F430/SL65 performance, but Lexus reliability. I think that idea would appeal to a lot of people.

it would be appealing.....to people who can't afford it. Again when you are competing at the level of Ferrari and Lamborghini reliability is not an issue. For the price, who is going to take the front engine Grand Tourer style of the LF-A over the mid-engine exotic styling of either the 360 Modena, F430 or Gallardo.

Originally Posted by Mattress
As i've mentioned in another thread reguarding the LF-A... they have allready begun the re-designing of the lf-a front ... to a more aggressive appearance...lexus desingers and engineers apparently have been hard at work... because of the disgust with the front end. So when it does FINALLY come out ... it may well be worth that $170,000 sticker.

The LF-A is a concept, the front is very extreme and conceptual in nature to create a reaction and attention.

The front is not being redesigned because of the negative reception by people. The production front end design has been finalized since 2004 when the first spy pics were taken months before the LF-A concept was even presented to the public in Detroit 2005.

I'm sorry but a front end change from the concept does not justify the price, you are cutting Toyota too much slack.

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
I always thought Lexus intended the LF-A to become a direct competitor to the M6. Spec (preliminary of course), size and luxury-wise, both vehicles are very similar. If the LF-A does sell for $170k, however, Lexus needs to come up with some significant advantages over the M6 to justify a whopping $70k+ premium, such as a full-aluminum or carbon fiber chassis and body.

EDIT: One obvious advantage of the LF-A, of course, is the fact that it won't look like anything else in the Lexus lineup, hence more exotic, but for $70k+ they need to do better than just a distinctive look.

XeroK00L, I am in total agreeance with you regarding the M6. How does BMW manage to create a front engined V10 perfomance 2-door for $97,000 while Toyota charges $70,000(speculation) more for basically the same thing, minus heritage.

As I stated earlier performance, build materials etc. doesn't matter when you are priced with Ferrari and Lamborghini. It's going to be either or and nothing else and definately not a M6 competitor with a $70k+ premium like you said.

Despite my sudden pessimism, I am really excited about the car always have been I was just really caught off guard by the speculated price. I feel that the logical price should be around $100,000 and I hope in the end it is.
Old 03-07-06, 12:58 PM
xioix
Racer

Originally Posted by XeroK00L

It might be competing against the Marelleno and not the M6

Quick Reply: Toyota Set to Launch Lexus $170,000 Supercar in 2008