Lexus Prototypes and Next-Gen Technology

20?? Gs-f

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-09, 09:13 PM
LexFather

This V-10 is handbuilt and probably around 50k in cost. No way its going in anything else. It also would kill exclusivity for those dropping basically 400k for the LFA.

Lexus stated in CAR they flirted with a F/I 5.0 V-8 from the IS-F though....so who knows...

I fully expect a GS-F will appear next go round.
Old 10-21-09, 09:17 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What about the rumors that a V10 sourced from Toyota is going into a Lotus? Perhaps a 'less hardcore V10' is possible? Although indeed the T/T IS-F V8 considered for the LFA could be shifted to the GS-F...
Old 10-21-09, 09:24 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by encore888
What about the rumors that a V10 sourced from Toyota is going into a Lotus? Perhaps a 'less hardcore V10' is possible? Although indeed the T/T IS-F V8 considered for the LFA could be shifted to the GS-F...
Toyota has stated only Toyota engines will go in a Lotus (EVO mag). Lotus will not have Lexus engines. Its why the Evora has the Camry V-6 without DI. Otherwise it would be even faster.

What is interesting is the LFA has a new manufacturing process with carbon fiber/aluminum and it sounds like it may make its way down to other vehicles.

Like most all Flagships, the technology eventually trickles down
Old 10-21-09, 09:35 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Toyota has stated only Toyota engines will go in a Lotus (EVO mag). Lotus will not have Lexus engines. Its why the Evora has the Camry V-6 without DI. Otherwise it would be even faster.

What is interesting is the LFA has a new manufacturing process with carbon fiber/aluminum and it sounds like it may make its way down to other vehicles.

Like most all Flagships, the technology eventually trickles down
Scan? Source of info claimed by evo?

Anyway, yeah.... very interested in hearing more about the new CFRP process
Old 10-21-09, 09:53 PM
LexFather

I don't scan anymore. It was in the issue when they first tested the Evora.

Also rumors are a FI version of the Camry engine will be used by Lotus in the future as the Elise now has a S/C option. Maybe from the TRD Aurion?

Nevermind confirmed by Lotus

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/08/05/l...ariant-coming/

Last edited by LexFather; 10-21-09 at 10:01 PM.
Old 10-22-09, 04:41 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by encore888
With the next M5 supposedly getting a V8, will Lexus stick with the LFA V10 for the GS-F?
we have look at the trend though. m3 has v8 now and m5 has v10, next generation bmw is going with v6 and v8 turbo for the m3 and m5 respectively for different reasons, from design to cost to emission

lexus makes engines that are quite a bit more efficient than bmw, so even with v10 (lfa epa is 14/20) they can probably get reasonable emission.

i am a bit doubtful lexus would go FI on the setup for gsf, given that the isf is already v8 (400hp) and they also have a v10 (550hp) for the lfa, it kind of make sense to do v10 in the lfa

but as i have also explained in the lfa thread, i am almost sure that lexus won't (more likely can't) use the same v10 setup in the gsf. the cost is just insanely high and won't make sense on the gsf, which my guess will be around 80k. and the engine is high rev which is not the trend lexus go with the isf too. so i have a feeling they might use a different derivative of the v10 that has larger displacement, higher tq, and lower rev. it will be cheaper to make
Old 10-22-09, 04:45 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Great thoughts, thanks for the explanation guys...does sound plausible. As does the 80K GS-F price...although who knows with the environmental emphasis there's a chance for some additional unusual tech. So far though, all this rests on the next GS coming out, when and what we still don't know much. I have gotten more trust in JDM auto mags, given how they've leaked the LS, LFA, IS-F, HS, and other refreshes...hope to hear some news on the GS-F too.
Old 10-22-09, 05:42 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

I think there are 3 engine choices the rumored GSF would use:

- a derivative of the LFA V10
- the same V10 as the LFA (unlikely)
- a modified ISF V8

I think the first and last choices are the most likely.
Old 10-22-09, 06:03 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

This V-10 is handbuilt and probably around 50k in cost. No way its going in anything else. It also would kill exclusivity for those dropping basically 400k for the LFA.
Aren't the SLR Mclaren just using a different, more powerful version of the SL55' s engine ? They aren't worry about the exclusivity/big price difference between the 2 models, the Mercedes Mclaren is a different car in many other ways ...

Originally Posted by rominl
but as i have also explained in the lfa thread, i am almost sure that lexus won't (more likely can't) use the same v10 setup in the gsf. the cost is just insanely high and won't make sense on the gsf, which my guess will be around 80k. and the engine is high rev which is not the trend lexus go with the isf too. so i have a feeling they might use a different derivative of the v10 that has larger displacement, higher tq, and lower rev. it will be cheaper to make
I think they can use a different cheaper version of the V10 too, or if they want to use V8, don't they have to use a large displacement V8 like the E63's 6.2 V8 or turbo-charge like BMW ?

Last edited by Gojirra99; 10-22-09 at 06:09 PM.
Old 10-22-09, 06:30 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

yes, if they want to stay with v8, then they will need something very innovative to get to the 500hp mark. doing displacement like mb is ok, but it's usually not very gas friendly and kind of against lexus philosophy. turbo v8 is another very good option, but i just have a feeling that lexus is not very comfortable with that
Old 10-22-09, 07:10 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
Aren't the SLR Mclaren just using a different, more powerful version of the SL55' s engine ? They aren't worry about the exclusivity/big price difference between the 2 models, the Mercedes Mclaren is a different car in many other ways ...

I think they can use a different cheaper version of the V10 too, or if they want to use V8, don't they have to use a large displacement V8 like the E63's 6.2 V8 or turbo-charge like BMW ?
The new Gullwing SLS uses the same 6.2 AMG engine that the rest of the lineup uses. The 6.3 (I believe its 6.2 but they call it 6.3) recalls images of the big engine of the past, so they must feel comfortable using it in the SLS which is a "throwback" with the styling.

SLR has a 5.5 liter V-8 supercharged for 617hp. It was a $500,000 car. It was canceled in 07 due to slow sales. The engine I do believe was not shared with anything else. I double checked for you.
Old 10-22-09, 07:23 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

SLR has a 5.5 liter V-8 supercharged for 617hp. It was a $500,000 car. It was canceled in 07 due to slow sales. The engine I do believe was not shared with anything else. I double checked for you.
No I didn't mean it's the exact same engine as the SL55's, of course it's a more powerful version, but it's derived from the SL55's engine :

http://wikicars.org/en/Mercedes-Benz_SLR_McLaren#Engine

Old 10-22-09, 08:35 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
No I didn't mean it's the exact same engine as the SL55's, of course it's a more powerful version, but it's derived from the SL55's engine :

http://wikicars.org/en/Mercedes-Benz_SLR_McLaren#Engine

Thanks, I wasn't even aware of that.
Old 10-22-09, 08:38 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Take off the titanium manifolds, swap out the titanium internals, lightly stroke to 5.0, add DI, lower to 8k rpm and viola, GS-F/IS-F engine.
Old 10-22-09, 08:53 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MR_F1
Take off the titanium manifolds, swap out the titanium internals, lightly stroke to 5.0, add DI, lower to 8k rpm and viola, GS-F/IS-F engine.
I think that still might be a bit expensive . Who knows though, it could be feasible. They could also add *more* titanium internals to what is already in the IS F's 2UR-GSE, increase the redline, and possibly add a dry-sump system.

Really, the two main options are a derivative of the 1LR-GUE or a derivative of the 2UR-GSE. Directly using the 1LR-GUE would be too expensive, and the 2UR-GSE simply would not make sense for the GS F.

Quick Reply: 20?? Gs-f