Lexus Vehicles Classifieds Lexus Vehicles for sale by members, no dealers or vendor posts allowed. Only active members with >100 posts may post non-Lexus vehicles.

Don't drive to Sacramento for this 97 SC300

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-06, 01:40 PM
lfrers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs down Don't drive to Sacramento for this 97 SC300

I was looking for the tread and could not find it so I created this one. I don't want to bad mouth anyone but I just wanted to warn club members about this car. I blew a lot of time and money on a road trip to Sacramento to pick up this SC.

Someone posted that they wanted help finding a good SC300. Another member posted this link.
http://www.thebiglot.com/ad_auto.asp...US&PN=1&AT=1&&
It's a 97 Black SC300. The car fax came back two owners and clean all around. The guy on the phone said he did body work for 25 years and that the car was in great shape for having 178000 miles.
Sooooooooo.......

I drove up to San Francisco to pick up the car. The guy was telling me how the body was good except for a small dent on the trunk and how he got it from a lady at his church. Well, the whole left side of the car looked like it had been bondo'd and painted with a spray can. None of the body panels lined up including the front bumper. The driver's door would not open and close well. Lloked like Left front collision. It had broken motor mounts, LCA bushings shot, ran like crap, lots & lots of noises from everywhere including the transmission. Ran like it was on 5 cylinders and had an exhaust leak. Etc, etc, etc. Funny thing is that it had a clean Carfax. It was the most beat up sc I’ve ever seen/driven. It looked good in the photos and from about ten paces back. A waist of a weekend. Oh well he only wanted 6k for it but it had so many problems that it was only worth about 4k, in my opinion. And that’s if you were willing to put a lot of work into it.

Messed up thing is that they guy said he was going to sell it to an old lady at his church. How messed up is that? Poor lady is going to break down on the road because she bought a bucket from someone she trusted at her church.
Old 03-26-06, 05:52 AM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is a great example of why shouldn't rely soley on Carfax

sorry you wasted your time

Carfax sucks ....this will be the term to search .....Carfax sucks
Old 03-26-06, 11:05 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Well the government could make carfax a law, and if you break it there will be a fine. But then if its a major accident and its not carfaxed, then whats the point of having carfax. If an accident occurs, and its so minor no-one whould know, then carfax shouldnt be involved. Set boundries, that way people may know the history of the car, and what to look for in it, when problems do arise when they are buying it.