Lexus Vehicles Classifieds Lexus Vehicles for sale by members, no dealers or vendor posts allowed. Only active members with >100 posts may post non-Lexus vehicles.

FS: 2001 GS300 w/ only 4,800 one owner miles(Black/Tan)

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-06, 06:25 PM
Brent72
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by minty99z
I know what you are saying. I offered you 5k more for the 35k mile difference.....Thats all I was saying....
Manheim
$18k for 41k miles
I offered
$23-24k for 5k Miles

I am only making the point that it wasnt a "lowball" offer because there is no real price for your car because its all opinion because of the low miles.....You see it as a new 5 year old car and I see it as a low mileage 5 year old car with no warranty...I am just saying that you shouldn't get offended by any offer above 22k because there is no " set in stone value" for this type of car....You know?
I see where you're coming from, but you have to realize that dealers are asking anywhere from $26,000-30,995 for 2001 GS300s with a lot more mileage than mine(the lowest one in that range had 30k miles). Also, you need to take into consideration that this is basically a NEW car. Yes it's 5 years old, but it is absolutely perfect in every way(inside and out) and in my opinion that commands a higher price than your "average" car. I do think that offers in the $22-24k range are "lowball" because that's about what you would have to pay for a regular GS300 on the open market anyway(and I'm not talking about cars at auction). My asking price might be a little high in some people's eyes, but anyone who truly appreciates an extremely well-maintained, pampered car will understand why I'm not willing to just give it away.
Old 04-22-06, 08:29 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Brent72
No offense, but auction prices are not really a valid basis for pricing(especially when it comes to a unique example like this one in perfect condition with practically no miles). You should be looking at a combination of dealer retail and private party values to get a more accurate representation.
I agree completely, and I feel the need once again to come to Brent's defense. Cars that have less than 5K miles on them are typically sold, and titled, as new, by new car dealers. Even after being driven as a demo. I know because I bought one. This car has been preserved. The difference between buying this car and buying one that has 40 or 50K miles on it is not just a matter of adjusting the price for lower miles. It comes with the fact that you get to treat the car as new, and be able to take it from its infancy and know where it has been and do all your own proper maintenance. That commands a higher price to any enthusiast that is interested in this kind of car. This car is a great buy for someone that is looking for one to mod heavily and keep. You wouldn't buy this car to keep for 2 or 3 years and sell it, for that there are probably better choices in newer ones.
Stick to your guns, Brent. I appreciate your intent to sell it to a Lexus guy, but if I were you, at this point, I'd put it on Cars.com or even ebay motors, because money is money, and you still have the right to refuse any offer.
I agree, this is a very unique example.
Old 04-22-06, 08:58 PM
Lyrical
Lead Lap

brent, just keep the car man.
Old 04-22-06, 09:19 PM
Brent72
Rookie

Originally Posted by engin_ear
I agree completely, and I feel the need once again to come to Brent's defense. Cars that have less than 5K miles on them are typically sold, and titled, as new, by new car dealers. Even after being driven as a demo. I know because I bought one. This car has been preserved. The difference between buying this car and buying one that has 40 or 50K miles on it is not just a matter of adjusting the price for lower miles. It comes with the fact that you get to treat the car as new, and be able to take it from its infancy and know where it has been and do all your own proper maintenance. That commands a higher price to any enthusiast that is interested in this kind of car. This car is a great buy for someone that is looking for one to mod heavily and keep. You wouldn't buy this car to keep for 2 or 3 years and sell it, for that there are probably better choices in newer ones.
Stick to your guns, Brent. I appreciate your intent to sell it to a Lexus guy, but if I were you, at this point, I'd put it on Cars.com or even ebay motors, because money is money, and you still have the right to refuse any offer.
I agree, this is a very unique example.

Thanks, man. I appreciate your encouraging words and am glad you can see where I'm coming from even if others can't. I just won't give the car away because someone else doesn't appreciate what it is and I'm sure the right buyer will come along eventually.
Old 04-23-06, 07:56 AM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Brent72
Thanks, man. I appreciate your encouraging words and am glad you can see where I'm coming from even if others can't. I just won't give the car away because someone else doesn't appreciate what it is and I'm sure the right buyer will come along eventually.
And therein lies the key -- finding the right buyer. It only takes one person. I sold a 6-year-old 93 300zx in 1999 with 24,000 miles. There wasn't another one like it at the time. I stuck to my guns until the right buyer came along. Brent, I'm sure there's someone that's looking for exactly what you have and will be willing to pay your price. Of course, you know all this already. Patience is a virtue.
Old 04-23-06, 10:56 AM
Brent72
Rookie

Originally Posted by e-man
And therein lies the key -- finding the right buyer. It only takes one person. I sold a 6-year-old 93 300zx in 1999 with 24,000 miles. There wasn't another one like it at the time. I stuck to my guns until the right buyer came along. Brent, I'm sure there's someone that's looking for exactly what you have and will be willing to pay your price. Of course, you know all this already. Patience is a virtue.
I know there's one out there. It just might take a little longer than I expected.
Old 04-23-06, 11:18 PM
aliti19
Lexus Test Driver

I had to wait 6 months for the right buyer for my '02 Maxima last summer. It was a loaded blk/blk 6-speed with only 18K miles. I got a lot of crap for trying to sell it for a lot of money, but that one buyer showed up finally.
Then i was able to buy my GS.
Old 04-24-06, 09:19 AM
Brent72
Rookie

Originally Posted by aliti19
I had to wait 6 months for the right buyer for my '02 Maxima last summer. It was a loaded blk/blk 6-speed with only 18K miles. I got a lot of crap for trying to sell it for a lot of money, but that one buyer showed up finally.
Then i was able to buy my GS.

WOW! 6 months? You must have exhibited great patience, man. I've only had this for sale a couple of weeks and I'm already getting a little "antsy" so I can't imagine waiting as long as you did. Looks like it paid off, though, as you ended up with a sweet GS430.
Old 04-24-06, 10:06 AM
BLAZE
Lexus Test Driver

Nice car, every bit worth 26,000, not even a question. Hang tight, the right buyer WILL come good luck
Old 04-24-06, 11:01 AM
Brent72
Rookie

Originally Posted by blaise
Nice car, every bit worth 26,000, not even a question. Hang tight, the right buyer WILL come good luck
Thanks, man. I appreciate the kind words.
Old 04-24-06, 11:45 AM
GS42NV
Pole Position

First off, good luck on the sale. Hope you find a buyer at the price you're looking to sell for. But I'm just a little confused as to why you wouldn't sell to Minty for 24k. I just ran the KBB for a car in So Cal, and with your options and miles the Private Party (Excellent condition) came out to $23,150, and the Retail was $26,000. In your own words you believe this car should sell somewhere in between private party and retail value, and $24k is exactly that. And in Minty's defense, once anyone drives the car for a year then all it really is going to be is a 5 year old car with lesser than average miles, and the "low miles" attribution drops from it right there. I even ran it on Edmunds, and for a CPO 01' GS300 with these miles its 26,800, and thats for a car with a warranty to 100k.

Just saying, the guy's making a fair offer IMHO. And after a certain point in time you should look at the oppurtunity cost of sticking to your guns and selling it for a lil lower than what you want, just to save the time and hassle. As the saying goes, time is money

GL on the sale. Either way, I hope you find the right buyer.
Old 04-24-06, 01:17 PM
Brent72
Rookie

Originally Posted by GS42NV
First off, good luck on the sale. Hope you find a buyer at the price you're looking to sell for. But I'm just a little confused as to why you wouldn't sell to Minty for 24k. I just ran the KBB for a car in So Cal, and with your options and miles the Private Party (Excellent condition) came out to $23,150, and the Retail was $26,000. In your own words you believe this car should sell somewhere in between private party and retail value, and $24k is exactly that. And in Minty's defense, once anyone drives the car for a year then all it really is going to be is a 5 year old car with lesser than average miles, and the "low miles" attribution drops from it right there. I even ran it on Edmunds, and for a CPO 01' GS300 with these miles its 26,800, and thats for a car with a warranty to 100k.

Just saying, the guy's making a fair offer IMHO. And after a certain point in time you should look at the oppurtunity cost of sticking to your guns and selling it for a lil lower than what you want, just to save the time and hassle. As the saying goes, time is money

GL on the sale. Either way, I hope you find the right buyer.

I thought I explained myself earlier in this thread so without going through another lengthy explanation I'll just say that I'm NOT going to give the car away for $24k. I don't think I should have to compromise on a car in this condition with unprecedented low mileage and I think that it's worth a couple thousand dollars over your average run-of-the-mill 2001 GS300. Thankfully, there are a lot of people backing me up in this thread that feel the same way. If that means I have to wait a little longer or ultimately a lot longer then that's what I'll do because I'm not in a position where I just have to jump at the first offer someone gives me in order to make a quick sale. When the right buyer comes along that is willing to pay a little extra for something unique then I will sell to that person.

Last edited by Brent72; 04-24-06 at 01:50 PM.
Old 04-24-06, 08:31 PM
Aristo300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll also add that any "value" shown or represented by KBB, NADA, etc does not show respect for a car of this low mileage, simply because it's not normal.
Old 04-25-06, 04:14 PM
Brent72
Rookie

Hate to do it again, but BUMP!
Old 04-27-06, 02:45 PM
Brent72
Rookie

The car is STILL available.

Quick Reply: FS: 2001 GS300 w/ only 4,800 one owner miles(Black/Tan)